USS Missouri by slagoon - FINISHED - SteelGolem - Metal - 1:2400

Hi guys,

You read it right, it is 1:2400. The finished model is roughly 5 inches long. Crazy? Yep that's me. Lets see how it goes!

Here I'll just show you the kit. I haven't really gotten started yet.

DSC07291-M.jpg

DSC07292-M.jpg

DSC07293-M.jpg

DSC07294-M.jpg

DSC07297-M.jpg

DSC07295-M.jpg

DSC07298-M.jpg

Any votes for my insanity yet?

I can't wait to get into it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

You really are pleasantly disturbed. I like this built, looks real fun to me.

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

The Missouri was a large ship.  You could alway build it a 1/192.  But the size would be rough.  Heres a photo of the Missouri I took at a contest..

David B

post-227-0-94055900-1366457327_thumb.jpg

That is huge! The one I'm about to start is basically the size of a keychain.  what a difference - huh?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

That's an interesting change of direction Sarah - I'll be interested to see how this one comes together.

Look at the brightside........ no RATLINES!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'm a girl - how do you think my tweezer collection is? hehehehehheehe

Grant - I hope so

Augie - SO true - they would be horrible at this scale....atom splitting nearly.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

I am waiting to se the end project.  I hope you have good optivisors.  And a microscope.  Have fun.

David B

is popeye criminally insane too?????? cool we should hang out!

This is really tiny - I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought this kit!

Harvey, no those are a different brand - and much larger scale ;) hehehe this one requires glue - that one just required pliers.

Pete, I found it on ebay. SteelGolem makes a few micro mini sets but most are sci-fi related.

The good thing is I can have EVERY part for this build laid out on my desk and not take up more than 2 sq feet! 

Lets get this build started.

The first thing I did was I put the first deck on the base. (I used gap-filling CA)

DSC07299-M.jpg

DSC07300-M.jpg

Then I put the second deck on the second deck base.

DSC07302-M.jpg

Repeat with the third deck....

DSC07304-M.jpg

hmmmm seeming logical so far.

We're about to get TRICKY!!!!

I put the third deck assembly on the second deck as indicated by the lines.

DSC07305-M.jpg

DSC07306-M.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Then I made a photo copy of my plans which has the outline of the thick "base" parts so I could sort all my parts that are coming up - some of them are fairly similar.

DSC07303-M.jpg

Next it was time to assemble the 4th deck, which as two pieces as the base and one piece on top. It is pretty weird and cool.

DSC07308-M.jpg

DSC07310-M.jpg

I think that there is actually a passageway between those two main bases...

DSC07309-M.jpg

And now to add the top.

DSC07311-M.jpg

I believe this side view confirms the passageway

DSC07312-M.jpg

Then I had to leave for work.... :( well, more to come tomorrow :)

Thanks for stopping by!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Gracious!  And here we were thinking the Harriet Lane was a small scale to work at!  This looks like a fun little build - are you going to craft some 16" (scale size, of course) projectiles for the big guns (big is, of course, a very relative term in this case!)?

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Nice start Sarah....

I have this little kit, and i already built the Truman Aircraft Carrier. It's a lot of fun. They make for very nice display models. I am in the middle of building the milleniun Falcom also....

I  took these models on to teach myself Photo Etch for my 1/350 Nimutz

have Fun

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Sarah, how do you assemble these metal parts ? Glueing, soldering or just 'klick in' ? Four decks in one time, that's really progress.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

John, I'm just using CA glue so far. Since I'm sanding the mating surfaces I'm getting a nice strong bond.

Daniel I hope it turns out as good as your tiny models.

Doug, I hadn't either and since I like doing "different things" I knew I had to get them.

Mario, I need photos!!!!!! I want to see the falcon too

Wayne, no ratlines though!!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

I love the Missouri, but I never seen one this small. I got to take  a look and see what they are asking for them on Ebay. I have two 1/192 scale kits of the USS Missouri and most of the PE add-ons. I have all the 40mm guns and all the 20mm guns, rails, port holes and doors also the radar and crane and the whole section for the aft end, this is still on the shelf and one kit is in the back seat of my car, been there since the second week of March, this might be started on sometime in a year or two. I am in no rush to start yet, it is big 55 inches long. But this is cool, got to get one. Keep the pictures coming.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Just bought the kit. Thank you for posting this build. I haver now added another item of the USS Missouri to my collection. I have every book on the USS Missouri and most of the book on the Iowa class Battleships of the US NAVY. They were the last of the great Batteships.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Uhoh looks like I've been a bad influence again! hehehehehehe

Thanks for looking in guys, and I hope your builds of this lil gal go well :) we'll have the smallest fleet in the world!

I made a little more progress before heading to work today.

I put a facia plate on the back of the 3rd and 4th layer.

DSC07313-M.jpg

DSC07314-M.jpg

DSC07315-M.jpg

Then I put on the next layer with it's top. It has railings so I had to bend those upward

DSC07316-M.jpg

DSC07317-M.jpg

DSC07318-M.jpg

Then the next layer (with more railings)

DSC07319-M.jpg

DSC07320-M.jpg

Because of the limited amount of detail due to this tiny scale this is moving along fairly quickly.

As far as the giant penny, I truly do feel like I am somewhere in alice in wonderland.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Rebecca, you'd probably be more interested in the other type of metal ship like harvey sent a photo of - these don't require glue (remembering your sensitivity to CA glue)  try black pearl metal ship in ebay and you'll see what I'm talking about - these are SUPER fun.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Wow, this is new to me.  I have built cast 1/1200 and this looks very interesting.  Keep up the posting Sara.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

hahahaha I hear you . It is tiny. I messed up and had to break my bonds and re-do a few parts. I'll have updates tomorrow. I also realized I missed a bunch of railings. I guess that part would have been useful to include in instructions. Really it is just a diagram that shows where bits go.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Have a few more photos for you all. I've lost a couple pieces that were as small as the "D" on my penny....

I had to take part of the top portions off since I forgot half of one of my thin decks (The topmost layer with the bullet shape just to the right of my fingers is new.)

DSC07322-M.jpg

then added the three bullet shaped parts back on

DSC07323-M.jpg

Then I realized I again missed a deck and had to go down layers. (see the round thing with the railings? that's new)

DSC07324-M.jpg

Well, I don't remember what this part ended up being, now it just looks like a tiny metal circle...

DSC07326-M.jpg

Here is a TINY deck - the rectangular sections get bent into railings.

DSC07325-M.jpg

and a funnel...

DSC07327-M.jpg

Here is that same funnel and the funnel that goes on top of it on a penny.

DSC07328-M.jpg

and finally a sleuth photo of my husband..... hehehehe shhhhhh don't tell.

DSC07330-S.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Your next profession is watchmaker I presume. You lost a couple of tiny pieces ? I am afraid I should loose the complete ship.

Regards,

John

<br />

<br />

Sarah,

I didn't know of this kind of shipmodelling before. I'm astonished.

Will you coluor the Missury? If you do it ... will you do even its war camouflage paint?

Regards

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

no I think I'll leave it as just metal. Maybe I'll do another someday in the future and paint it. It would be easy to do the camo, I would just flick a brush with paint at it since those tiny blobs would be appropriate to scale ;)

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build: