Malabar Jr. by Cap'n'Bob - small - 1:48 - 30' gaff rigged yawl - Finished

Well here we go again.  As I said in my last build, the Admiral saw a picture of a yawl and said,

“Why don’t you make a model of that for me”. 

I don’t know about you but I find it very difficult to say no to the Admiral.

post-513-0-11511200-1366739057_thumb.jpg

What boat is it?  I searched the web and I asked around, the wooden boat forum suggested that it might be the Malabar Jr.  

post-513-0-98211100-1366739074_thumb.jpg       Malabar Jr.

The Malabar Jr. was designed by John Alden in 1924. There are many variations, originally a sloop with Marconi sails it was also built as a gaff sloop and as a yawl, both Marconi and gaff.  The cabin was also changed, most had square forward corners but some had rounded corners like in the painting.  

I was not able to find a picture of it as a gaff yawl, but the gaff sails would move the center of sail aft and it would require a longer bow sprit to move the jib forward to balance the sails.  So that agreed with the painting.

The only problem left was the shape of the bow.  In the painting the stem is more perpendicular where it meets the deck.  Then the word came from the Admiral.

”The painter probably took artistic license in painting the picture so why don’t you take modeling license?”

So unless someone out there can tell me what this yawl is, I plan to build the Malabar Jr. with a Cap’n’Bob bow.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Go for it!  There are variants in just about everything.  Who's to say you're right or wrong?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ooooooh that looks nice Bob, I will be following along with this one too.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks, Mark, then it’s a go.

Michael, at 1:48 the deck is 7.5 inches, I wish I had the room to make it larger like your cutter, I think it would look good on the water.  But then, being small it will be on a shelf where the Admiral can see it.  After all it is for her.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I agree with Mark - y'all need to build this yawl!  The Admiral has spoken, you have a very good correlation in that set of plans - have a blast!  If this turns out at all as great as the Spray it will be worth watching from here in the cheap seats!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Bob,

That looks like lots of fun! I wish I had time to build some of these models.

It looks like a Malabar Jr to me too. There are plans for it in "Fifty Wooden Boats: A Catalog of Building Plans, Vol.1"

The same book has plans for Alden's  Malabar 2 Schooner (42'). That's another one I'd like to build one day.

Thanks! I'm going to enjoy this build!

Harvey

Hi Bob

That is a pretty boat, this will be interesting to follow.

Børge

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

y'all need to build this yawl! 

Wayne, that's what she said too.  But she's not from the south.

Harvey,  I'm wanting to build a schooner also one of these days.  Always too many boats and not enough time.

Børge,  Pull up a chair.  I'm drawing plans now and should be making sawdust soon.

Bob

John,

Glad to know you're watching.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Cap'n'Bob,

That looks like a promising adventure! She has some lovely lines and as Wayne wrote: "The admiral has spoken" A very thorough argument. You should explain me some time what the 'south' has to do with the admirals remark ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

" y'all need to build this yawl! " 

" Y'all "  is a word usually heard in the southern states.

Bob

Y'all is in the singular and all y'all is plural  :D  :D

Cheers all y'all,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Y'all seem to know what y'all is talking about, Y'all.

hey there Bob.....cute little vessel your about to build.   I took a look around......have you seen this:

MALABAR JR.

perhaps you could contact this guy........maybe save you a bit of work with some plans.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye,

Thanks for the site.  I missed that when I was searching.  I may have to contact him but a lot of the fun I have in scratch building is doing the design work.  That’s the engineer in me.  Give me a picture and maybe the lines of a boat.  That’s where I like to start.  Sometimes I only have pictures, then it really gets to be fun.

Bob

I'll be watching for the start :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you all for your patience, but I decided I hadn't finished the dory build and unlike some I can't do two at a time.

Go see the dory at:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1067-grand-banks-dory-by-capnbob-132/page-5#entry57310

Bob

I saw it,  my friend........now with your mind clear....you can continue.   I'll look forward in seeing this build come alive....well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi, Anja,

You're very welcome here on the darkside.  But come on up to the front row.  You don't need to sit in the cheap seats.

Bob

Well I was starting to work on the lines and the admiral, looking over my shoulder, said, "Seven and a half inches?  That's kind of small.  Can't you make it a little bigger?"  So I'm changing the scale from 1:48 to 1:32, that will make it 11.25 inches.  Now to start over.  Glad I hadn't cut wood yet.

Bob

You could have used the wood. Hard to find 30 foot planks, and if you do they'll be rather expensive ;) You'll make a plank on frame/bulkhead or a solid hull? 11.25" isn't that big for POF/POB.

P.s. Haven't found a solution to the IE10 problem, but haven't given up either

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl,

I haven’t decided how I will build the yawl.  The Dragon (11”) was half bulkhead half frame, the Cat boat (9”) and the Spray (9.5”) were both plank on plug and then frames added. 

Thanks for the comment about E10. I was beginning to wonder.  Can I go back to E9?

Bob

Well I was starting to work on the lines and the admiral, looking over my shoulder, said, "Seven and a half inches?  That's kind of small.  Can't you make it a little bigger?"  So I'm changing the scale from 1:48 to 1:32, that will make it 11.25 inches.  Now to start over.  Glad I hadn't cut wood yet.

Bob

So I made a profile drawing, at 11.25", and held it up alongside the smaller, at 7.5", and said,  "Which one do you want?"

She picked the smaller one.  Don't you just love 'em?

Bob

Thanks John,  I knew there was something good there.

Bob

The Dragon (11”) was half bulkhead half frame, the Cat boat (9”) and the Spray (9.5”) were both plank on plug and then frames added.

Hello Bob,

A question if I may. What is 'plank on plug'?

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

you gotta love 'em Bob........now take her out and buy some nice picture frames.   can't wait to see the start of this build  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: