Malabar Jr. by Cap'n'Bob - small - 1:48 - 30' gaff rigged yawl - Finished

Bob, that wheel came out super!  I was just about to order a wheel for the steam launch I am building.  I am going to give your method a try first. 

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

John, It's not that hard.

Popeye & Wayne,  Your comments remind me of the man who was driving through the country and saw a chair for sale.  He asked the owner where it came from and how much.  The owner said he had made it and it was $25.00.  The man thought it would make nice dinning room chairs and ordered six.  The owner said that would cost $600.00.  The man asked, "Why so much" ?   The owner said, "Well the first one was fun".

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Tom,

Use a try-file to cut a notch where you want the hole.  This gives the drill somewhere to start and the hole will remove the notch.  Using the pin vice cuts down on the drill walking.  It may not be fast, but it's not hard.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Very nicely done on the wheel Bob, Drilling through .246 of brass with a .021 drill is a lot of work.!!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

NICE LOOKING WHEEL THERE BOB. THAT MUST OF TOOK SOME TIME AND SOME STEADY HAND TO KEEEP THAT DRILL BIT ON THAT PIECE OF BRASS UNTIL YOU GOT  THE HOLE STARTED........

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Very nicely done on the wheel Bob, Drilling through .246 of brass with a .021 drill is a lot of work.!!

Michael

Michael,  I'm not that good.  The brass was .045.

Mario and Richard,  Thanks for stopping by.

Bob

Moving right along.  I made templates for the cabin.  As you can see the first sides of that wrap-around broke.  Finally, got the sides, the top and the companionway hatch without breaking any more.

Next the bow sprit and the stern sprit. (Is that the right name?) Then on to the masts, booms, gaffs and sails, after that the rigging.  It feels like I'm not even half way through.

Bob

post-513-0-66185500-1462291142.jpg

post-513-0-27319400-1462291152.jpg

post-513-0-97995500-1462291160.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Bob 6 x .045 is even more .270 :)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Sorry Michael,  I did not understand what you were saying.  The wheel from start to finish was about two hours.

Bob

nice looking cabin Bob..........I still say that wheel is a work of art  {are you saying the next one will cost $600.00?} :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye.

$600.00 ! !    WOW !  

I'll sell the whole boat for $600.00 .

Bob

Hi Bob -- even before I got a chance to marvel over your wheel, you've already moved on.  Not only are you skilled, but fast!

And I'll bet it was nice indeed to sail out of SF Bay to the Channel Islands!  Oh my.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

I was stationed on Santa Rosa Island while in the Air Force.  Went back and forth to the mainland by PT boat out of Port Hueneme.

Always wanted to sail SF Bay but never made it.

Bob

Well, Bob, I can't say I know Port Hueneme (we Oregonians veer away from SoCal), but the Channel Islands are simply beautiful. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, and back to the boat.

I mounted the bow and stern sprits, added the bulwarks and cap rail and put in eye bolts all over the deck for the rigging.  I painted and put the hand rails on the cabin roof.  I also added the companion way hatch, which still needs painting.  If you look carefully you can see the anchor chocks at the bow, and that reminds me, I will need to make an anchor.  Ah well, one thing at a time.  Next are the masts, booms and gaffs and all the little bits that hold them together.

Bob

post-513-0-98745600-1462291394.jpg

post-513-0-63049800-1462291402.jpg

post-513-0-42544900-1462291411.jpg

post-513-0-06199200-1462291420.jpg

post-513-0-77713300-1462291427.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

She certainly has that old world charm about her Bob.

Michael

Great work Bob.  Looks like a nice looking boat - well done so far!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

looking sweet bob.....nice choice of color :)   looks like your about ready to mast her.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

That is a wonderful boat, Bob.  Coloring, furniture... gives an air of a simpler time. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to all of you.  You guys are great.  It's comments like these that keep me building and posting.

Thanks also to those that click "LIKE" and don't post.  It lets me know you are all enjoying the build.

Bob

glad to see your back John!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John,

Hope you enjoyed your holiday and thanks for stopping by.

Bob