FAIR AMERICA KIT BUILD - moved by moderator

I JUST STARTED THE MODEL EXPO FAIR AMERICAN.  HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE POB HULL.  HOWEVER I AM NOW IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING THE STERN FRAMES AND TRANSOM.  I FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS AND PLANS QUITE LACKING.  CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A BUILD LOG I CAN REFERENCE OR ANY GOOD BOOKS ON THE FAIR AMERICAN.  YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS

CHUCK

I JUST STARTED THE MODEL EXPO FAIR AMERICAN.  HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE POB HULL.  HOWEVER I AM NOW IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING THE STERN FRAMES AND TRANSOM.  I FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS AND PLANS QUITE LACKING.  CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A BUILD LOG I CAN REFERENCE OR ANY GOOD BOOKS ON THE FAIR AMERICAN.  YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS

CHUCK

in  my log I have not yet done that part but will soon be working on it.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/28-fair-american-by-figuerres-modelshipways-148-kit/

if you start a log and post there with details we can try to work it out.

I have my hull planked and the main deck planked and need to update the log this weekend as I move along.

in my case I am making the great cabin open on the inside so my build is not exactly how the kit plans did it.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

• 2 months later...

I'm building Fair American and cannot figure out the hatch coamings. The parts list states "upper hatch coaming" is 3/32 x 3/32 and "lower hatch coaming" is 5/32 x 5/32. First, what does upper and lower refer to? Second, the plans show the coamings on both hatches raised above the deck pad. But he deck pad is also 3/32 high which would make it even with at least one of the coamings. Help, please! How are the coamings for Fair American structured? Thanks.

Edited by EdatWycliffe

<p>EdatWycliffe

Current Build:

US Brig Syren

Prior Builds:

MS kit Phantom

MS kit Fair American