Corel Ranger

Has anyone done this build and would it be a good second build, first POB build and is this an everyday price or a discounted price, I have only purchased one kit from model expo but if this is a good second build and a good starter for first time with POB I would like to get it while its on sale

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=sm55W&srccode=free13

There's only one buildlog I can find: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/801-usrc-ranger-by-trippwj-corel-164-scale/

You might ask Wayne (trippwj) who's building it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is a good price. I think mine was $75. Thus far it has been a good intro to POB. A couple of things to be wary of - the plans and instructions list different scales, and there are a couple of tables I couldn't find in the instructions. The instructions are pretty good, with plenty of drawings. I made a couple of mistakes early which is making the first planking more difficult than it should be.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently building Ranger. It would be an OK 2nd POB kit..  The only negative I 'v seen is the casting quality of the metal parts. It's not very good.  I've had to drill out the holes in the cross trees and mast fittings and do ALOT of filing....

The rudder gungeons are VERY fragile and do not bend to the curvature of the aft hull as shown in the drawings  .. So be VERY CAREFUL...

Also, one of the metal anchor "T's (?) "  was missing so I had to scratch two new ones...

I've just started the rigging

The rigging looks complex  but patience will win out...