HMS EURYALUS by cfn1803 - 36 guns (1803) - 1:48 scale

I started this build in early March of 2012, and like most model shipwrights here, my build log was sacrificed to the computer gods.  I do not have a copy of all the associated posts of the old log, but I do have photos.  I am using the book and plans from Swan Books' Frigates of the Royal Navy series: HMS Euryalus (36) 1803 by Allan Yedlinsky with the plans by Wayne Kempson, and my wood is from Jeff Hayes at the Hobby Mill.  Below is my first and last picture from my old log.  More to follow.

Regards,

Clay

post-584-0-75028300-1361052135.jpg

post-584-0-39176500-1361052185_thumb.jpg

Edited by cfn1803

Current build:  HMS EURYALUS (36) 1803  1: 48 scale

Great to see that you are back up and running Clay.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Clay,

Good to see you returned from the den of the computer gods. :D   I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your excellent build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark and Rob,

Here is a bit of a look back/review of my build.  As I mentioned before, I am building a fully framed model per Allan and Wayne's Euryalus book and plans.  I also obtained copies of the original builder's draughts from the NMM.  Additional references that I have relied upon during my build are the Fully Framed Model, HMN Swan Class Sloops 1767-1780 series by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert and Ed Tosti's book The Naiad Frigate (38) 1797, all from Swan Books.  These books along with the many excellent build logs of MSW have helped me take on this project.

The model is constructed in the up right manner, with out any building stages or hull fixtures.  The Hull framing and structural components are Swiss Pear wood, milled to the proper sided dimensions by Jeff Hayes at The Hobby Mill.  Templates are copied/printed from the plans provided in the book and are pasted to the sided stock with an elmer's glue stick (easily applied, easy to clean off after the "saw pit" sessions).

post-584-0-04493900-1361117444_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-21326500-1361117464_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-50091900-1361117491_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-64704900-1361117610_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-72227200-1361117643_thumb.jpg

After carefully insuring the proper assembly of the stem and knee of the head as well as the after deadwood and stern post against the plan, I endeavored to build and assemble the hawse pieces....  

My building board was a 3/4 inch thick particle board sealed and painted white, on which was glued the hull framing guide.  The board was then screwed into my work bench to keep it structurally ridged.

post-584-0-86908500-1361119275_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-95871400-1361119293_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-41892400-1361119308_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-02325400-1361119324_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-85480400-1361119354_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-06982400-1361119849_thumb.jpg

Edited by cfn1803

As I assemble and "hang" the frames, I fair the inside framing as I go.  I am saving the fairing of the outside of the hull until after I finish the framing of the hull.  I am also gluing in the filling pieces between the frames as I go.  

It is very important to securely bolt the keel down to the building board to minimize the warping of the keel as the drying of the glue may cause the stern and bow sections to bow up from the board.

post-584-0-78544300-1361123835_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-04074000-1361123851_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-81389400-1361123875_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ron!

Here are a couple of shots of the builders draughts from the NMM.  As you can see they are now reproduced in color and can provide some interesting insight into some of the differences between the various ships of the Apollo/Euryalus class of the 36 gun frigate.  Various modifications were added using different color inks coded to different ships of the class (difficult to see here).  This is why it is always a good idea to include the actual draughts in your research.

post-584-0-28866900-1361132988_thumb.jpg

post-584-0-57065200-1361133063_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back! I was following your build on the old site but have not had time lately to peruse the new site but will put your build on my watch list. I would love to build this ship and I do have the book now so I can follow you page for page!

Good Job!

Guy

The Learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Thank you gentlemen.  

Greg, I am leaving the top timbers a bit long so I can cut the ports and the sheer in a "seaman like manner".

Regards,

Clay 

Clay,

Further to your note on having a copy of the original drafts there are often quite a few notes and sketches with references, dates, etc. as you have no doubt found.  Wayne incorporated them as much as possible on the Euryalus drawings.  One of the copies of the orginal drawings that we had, a cross section, shows changes made to some of the later vessels in the class and signed by Seppings.   With NMM now electronically sending, the colors do indeed give further information and make it easier to interpret some of the lines.   Wish they did not charge an arm and a leg for such a scan and send.  I would have thought it would be less expensive than the paper copies but I guess not.

Your build is looking really great and a joy to follow.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice work.  This or the Naiad is a future project goal of mine.  Your log will be great reference.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Clay, thanks for doing such a nice job logging you build. I am starting a steel navy project, the C class cruiser HMS Caroline. I would love to get info from NMM. How difficult was the process In obtain them? Thanks Randy

I started this build in early March of 2012, and like most model shipwrights here, my build log was sacrificed to the computer gods.  I do not have a copy of all the associated posts of the old log, but I do have photos.  I am using the book and plans from Swan Books' Frigates of the Royal Navy series: HMS Euryalus (36) 1803 by Allan Yedlinsky with the plans by Wayne Kempson, and my wood is from Jeff Hayes at the Hobby Mill.  Below is my first and last picture from my old log.  More to follow.

Regards,

Clay

Hi Clay. Do the plans tell you how much timber stock and sizes you need?

Gary.

Past build: Hms Arethusa. Leander class frigate 1965

Current build: Revell 1/72 HMCS Snowberry radio conversion.

Planned build(s):

Dusek Viking Knarr 1/72

HMS York D98 scratch build 1/72