TJ's First Scratch Build 1:48

Hello

Well I have had tough time with the lights but finely got what I wanted. The first pic shows some of the ones I thought I was going to use. The first is too crooked second is too small and the third is just right. 

I'll have to see if I can find some old pic of my build and post them. Don't think I saved any though.

I do have a question though.  I am working on the Taffarel and would like to know what the measurements are if the rail that sit on top of it, are they. (2 1/2" X 4 1/2") ? this to me seems small. I have looked in TFFM, Construction of English War Ship and in the Triton prints couldn't find it in the or was I not looking in the right place. 

Hear is some of my trial and errors of the lights.

post-2088-0-90461400-1372376256_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-94513200-1372376261_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-50136300-1372376263_thumb.jpg

Edited by BubbleHead

Hello:

Thank you David and Daniel

I will do that Daniel as I just went through all the stuff for the last couple of hours and zip even my favorite pic is gone. Guess didn't lesson in 101 pic saving class, probably find them when not looking for them,

TJ    

Edited by BubbleHead

Hello:

Hear is some pic of the hull and what has been done so far.  The quick work hasn't been sanded yet and I need to do a light sanding all over before applying some wipe on polly.  It should lighten up the cheery in the places I would like a little liter. The gaps aren't as big as they look and should fill in well with a little sanding and glue.  I'm trying to build the lights around the stern.  Please what is that called that part of the grate cabin or is it just part of the grate cabin.  I have made many mistakes in this build but that's OK. Learning  I was always trying to jump ahead. As you can see at the stern deck a big goof but it will be covered. There are numerous others.  The whales are died with  fiebing's leather dye and it looks good but when applied to the lights I found that it didn't sink into the wood very well mostly stayed on top and when gluing parts to it they just glued to the dye and not to the wood so I think I will be going to ebony stain of some kind maybe min wax. 

post-2088-0-78050700-1372964853_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-12928600-1372964859_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-28739300-1372964865_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-59492800-1372964871_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-71092700-1372964878_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-42698200-1372964885_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-37614800-1372964890_thumb.jpg

TJ,

Nice to see your Triton again.  You're doing a beautiful job on her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi TJ,

You've done a marvelous job on your Triton, she's looking great. Regarding the dimensions of the rail atop the tafferal, one easy way is to take the measurements directly from the MSW outboard profile drawing, which is very close to the original draught based on my comparison.

I'm afraid the dimensions provided in TFFM will not be applicable to Triton as she is a different ship altogether. If you want maximum accuracy, perhaps you could inquire in the research section if someone with access to Steel or Shipbuilders Repository could give the dimensions for this particular part on a 28 gun frigate, circa 1773. 

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hello:

Thank you Mark and Aldo

Aldo  I have measured the rail from the inboard works and it measured 4mm to me that seems small don't know why but we will make it and put it on. Have it mostly done now. I have decided to remake the tafferal from a single board to planking.  While making planking for this might as well make up the hull planking while the set up is there. 

TJ

Hi TJ,

4mm at 1/48 scale seems just about right, based on my measurements from the 1/48 draught I'm working on (see links below):

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x452/rdsaplala/height_zps12abc8a0.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x452/rdsaplala/width_zps448a88b0.jpg

As seen in the second picture, it appears that this particular rail should have just about the same fore-aft  width as the actual taffrail (green) and is just a fraction of a mm wider than the stern frame (blue).

Steel probably gives the exact dimensions, unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this contemporary reference so I just rely on the draught corrected for vertical and horizontal distortion for my measurements  :blush:

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hello:

Thank you Aldo. So that mean all three are approximately the same width. I put an arrow on the one that I'm working on. (green) and that one should be 4mm too.  I went  to take a pic but some how the last time I downloaded pic the memory  card says it pass protected :( don't know what happened. I'll try to fix it or another trip to the hardware store.

TJ

post-2088-0-24150100-1373128267_thumb.jpg

Edited by BubbleHead

Hi TJ,

Thanks for the clarification, pardon me as I initially thought you were referring to the top-most rail above the stern frames (green line).

post-256-0-41174700-1373183617.jpg

I'm afraid the capping rail for the taffarel seems to be a bit more complicated to interpret.

Based on page 287 of TFFM vol two, as well as majority of the contemporary models I've seen, the capping rail width should extend up to the stern timber (red line) making it more than 7mm at 1/48.

On the other hand, based on the Triton draught, as well as the contemporary model of HMS Minerva in the picture below, it appears that the fore to aft width should be the blue line(4mm):

post-256-0-73279300-1373183663_thumb.jpg

To be sure, I made an inquiry at the research section:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2796-tafferal-capping-rail-width-question/#entry76306

Hopefully, some of our more experienced members can clarify this. Will let you know once I get a definitive answer.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

No prob TJ, glad to be of help, very nice diagram you have there, thanks for sharing :) 

In conclusion, the taffarel capping rail arrangement looks more or less like the drawing in the link below:

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-256-0-03293300-1373179259.jpg

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hello:

Aldo, yes I think so, and I think after thinking, if the cap go's flush with the inside of the stern timbers by the time it gets on the out side of the hull where the lights, roof and all that structure meets with taffarel, the rail may interfere with the roof, just looking at the print looks like it should be even or a little above the roof. We will see. But that's the fun part.

TJ

Edited by BubbleHead

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

Been away having my telescopes refitted with new lens's, just waiting for new glasses using store bought ones. Doc want's me to wait, but can't sitting hear looking at the model and nothing done.

I finely got the rail done only took three try's. The taffarel is made of planking and I'm going to soak it for a little while and hope the glue won't come apart and clamp it to the stern timbers to get the curve.

post-2088-0-17435900-1374628354_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello:

Don't know why but for some reason can't get started.

Hear are some pic on how I started the lights on the quarter galleys. 

Soaked the frame for a long time it seemed that the sharp Conner just wouldn't  bend without braking. The frame is 1X1mm, made a jig to press 1X1mm between the two pieces clamped it and the legs. Seemed to work well.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to build the quarter galleys, may be should of spot glued frame in and temp stations to set the frame shape, took it off and built it on a jig then reinstalled the finished product. May still do that as I put my thumb through the port light fitting the other light.  :(

When installing the Taffarel made big mistake and didn't get the stern rounded enough consequently the angle of the Taffarel extension doesn't match the angle of the lights, hopefully it can be hidden some what or just won't be noticed where it's going. I finely got the stern lights to match and installer that was only the fourth time I think. The pic looks like there uneven but there really not.  

Love this learning process

TJ

post-2088-0-66906600-1379614112_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-90567300-1379614113_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-25546700-1379614115_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-42362500-1379614116_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-12031400-1379614119_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-71499200-1379614120_thumb.jpg

Hello:

Daniel  

Not too many. Tried soaking for about half hour then hour and putting then in boiling water for about ten min. none worked. That was 3-4 pieces but they were long enough to try two bends.  Finally they soaked over night. The first one bent but split at the sharp bent that's when I decided to make the cap (1mm larger to accommodate the stock) and clamp everything together. Got lucky it seemed to work. 

TJ

Edited by BubbleHead

• 1 month later...

Hello:

Had to start over with the quarter galleys put my finger through the light right off the get go. So I came up with a different way that worked for me.

Starter by making a jig that fit where the galley fit. Then glued stops top and bottom to hold the same beams 3mm above the jig, glued the print on in place then put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the print so the glued parts wouldn't stick.  Rubber cemented the galley beams to the jig and assembled the rest.  The jig held the part so well it could be sanded shaped, a little clean up in the window sections and only had a little final fitting to the hull.  Hopefully I can move on now been hear too long.

TJ

post-2088-0-87516200-1382909157_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-72519100-1382909190_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-39864000-1382909221_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-13089300-1382909331_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-39424100-1382909352_thumb.jpg

I like that!!!!!   Mind if I steal that trick?    ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

Hello:

Been trying to figure out this stern. What's wrong with this pic?  Looks like a Bunch of ice cream sticks for the over head.  I was going to make it rounded shingles all the way up but don't know after looking at this. Should it be one solid piece flat on top?  How is it to be done.  Is there any rule of thumb for this class ship.

The other pic it fell out of dry dock when repairing the galley lights that got in the way of my fat fingers.  I'll repair it after I figure out the stern.

TJ

post-2088-0-81337900-1391045558_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-80140600-1391045559_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-21421900-1391045616_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-21499500-1391045617_thumb.jpg

TJ,

Go look at Wang's Triton or any English Sloop or Frigate build (EdT's is a good one).  The quarter gallery is flat on top with the "shingles" on the angled side of the top.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello:

Thank you. I have looked Wang's ship and very nice wished mine was even half that good. I will probably end up making my quarter galleys the same, but I would like to try and get them like the print. The picture shows my interpretation of the roof of the quarter galleys is this not correct according to the print. Heck I don't know just got to get rid of the lollipop effect.

TJ 

post-2088-0-84229400-1391100545_thumb.jpg

It's more like this: 

post-76-0-82702600-1391133712.jpg

And the shingles are not full length.. look to roof of house with shingles.   And also Ed T's Naiad.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Happy happy Birthday TJ!!

I am far away from putting some shingles on my Triton but I guess the best I´ve seen is Ed method to simulate them. If I am not wrong it took him two trials to get to the correct method.

Enjoy your day!!

Daniel.