Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

Pat:

Thanks. That means a lot coming from you. I am more comfortable with her appearance now that she is finished.

The client is thrilled. She loves it. Her son is going to love it as well. He knows nothing about it so the surprise will be something to see.

Russ

Congratulations, Russ.  She's a beauty and the coils just add to the atmosphere.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark:

Thanks. I value your opinion. I have been watching your build and I hope to get a chance to build a plank on frame version of these schooners in the near future.

Russ

Congratulations, Russ, on completion of a fine model.  The image showing all the sails emphasizes the amount of canvas that could be put up on these working boats.  It has been quite a journey - thanks for sharing it with us.  Beautiful work!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Bob, Dave, and Gary:

Thank you all for your overly kind words. They are gratefully received.

Russ

congratz Russ on the completion of this wonderful build.   I think it came out super fine!  it will be a fine edition on any mantle  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye:

Many thanks. I am looking forward to seeing her in a display case. :)

Russ

are you making a case for her?  it will look good come presentation day....when is that?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The case will be made by another. The model will be presented on Christmas day and then the case will be made within the next few weeks. The model will be in a protected environment until the case is ready.

Russ

I must add my congratulations on a terrific build.  She will be the 'belle of the ball' at the regatta in July.

I have a question for you:  I've noticed that several boats like yours have a topsail that extends below the gaff.  Will the extended portion of the sail be somehow move to the other side when the boat changes tack?  Or does is it always on one side regardless of the tack?

Also, what is the method for furling that main topsail?  Are there blocks, etc. specifically for that?

Thanks and cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Ken:

Thanks for your kind words.

That is a good question. I am not entirely certain about it since my research on local sail handling is incomplete. We have photographs to go on, but also there may yet be a few old timers who would know. They are getting fewer and fewer.

Given what blocks I have seen in old photographs, I do not think the fisherman or the gaff topsail could be furled. Most likely they were just lowered. They were set flying, so lowering makes sense. However, further research may yield new information.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

One more photograph. Here is the schooner with its proud owner. Darren and I have been friends since 1st grade. He loves the schooner and I am happy to have been able to build it for him. To him and all of you, Merry Christmas.

Russ 

post-164-0-09035400-1482632503_thumb.jpg

B.E. and John:

Thanks for the kind words. It is much appreciated.

Russ

That's one of the great joys of model building.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

no finer Christmas gift  ;)   ...made for a friend,  from a friend.  awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

The display case for the Samuel D. was delivered today and the model fits in the case very nicely. The last touch to add will be a brass name plate and then the model can go to its new home.

Russ

model in case side.JPG

model in case bow.JPG

model in case port bow.JPG

model_in_case_port_side.JPG

model in case stern.JPG

Thanks. The manufacturer did a nice job with the case. Not many complaints. :)

Russ

Looks to be a very fitting home for her, Russ.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)