USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

OK. Let's give this thing another shot.

I'd been hanging around this fantastic site for about 4 weeks whilst awaiting the arrival of my ModelShipways USS Constitution. During this time, I discovered MSW (now MSW2.0).

I was blown-away by the beauty of the ships and quality of workmanship produced by the members on this site. Yes, yes - go ahead and take a collective bow. You all deserve it !!

Whilst I am not a complete "newb" to modelling, having done two kits to date, many of the techniques employed by you guys and gals were largely unknown to me. Up til a month ago, I had no idea that "bearding lines", "garboard strakes" or "rabbets" even existed.

My two builds so far are berthed with two of my brothers. CaptainPete commands the HMS Victory (launched June 2006), and the Apostol Felipe is under the capable watch of CaptainPaul. It has been two years since the launch of the Apostol Felipe. Through a combination of work, life-in-general and indecision, it has taken this long before I finally settled on the USS Constitution for my third brother, CaptainDen. I tend to choose my builds based upon to whom they will be going.

I look forward to this journey, and actively welcome any hints, tips, advice whenever I require it. I will try to post as many pics as possible as I go.

I do have a few "kit-bashes" which I plan to incorporate into my build:

- All sails rigged as furled.

- 1812 version with 6-window configuration at stern. Painted white outline. Side galleries also black w/ white outlines.

- Deck hatches open and left askew, where leading via ladders to partial lower gun-decks.

- Flags installed as per modeler12 method.

- [OPTION] LED candles for lower-deck/gallery lighting. Wiring thru pedestal holes in keel.

My "Connie" kit finally arrived a few days back ....

post-675-0-40283600-1361092843_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Keel-piece halves glued together; reference, bulkhead and rabbet lines all marked.

post-675-0-32782500-1361094266_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-94508000-1361094290_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-34663300-1361094314_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Those with a keen eye may spot a couple of new lines horizontally along the keel-pieces ...

post-675-0-38575600-1361094737_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Taking my lead from another Connie builder on the old MSW (RIP !!!), I wish to strengthen and straighten the false keel. I have routed a channel along both sides of the keel-pieces. Two pieces of left-over planking will be glued into these channels.

The groove on the port side (not shown) is 2cm lower than the one in this picture ... 

post-675-0-59432800-1361094804_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Stem and stern-post have been tapered. The plans call for the stem to be rounded at the front. I realise that a cap piece will be fitted over this piece later on, so have opted to only round the edges for now ...

post-675-0-51845000-1361096112_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Bulkhead pieces have now been faired and bevelled ...

I cut cardboard formers for each bulkhead and used these to transfer the reference lines.

I did manage to get my hands on one detailed "practicum" for the USS Constitution (Hull only - gotta pay if I want the rest !!).

One point I thought noteworthy was the suggestion to have the marked side of the aft bulkheads facing in the opposite direction.  

This takes advantage of the natural "fault" with laser-cut parts and uses the slight angle on the edges to assist with the fairing. 

post-675-0-46503300-1361096212_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-21393500-1361096242_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

These are the LEDs and battery-pack for the lighting which I am planning to install. The LEDs are yellow and only approx 3mm long. The lights will most likely be installed in the transom and side galleries, as well as on false gun-decks which I will have to build.

The wiring will go down thru the keel, running into one of the pedestal supports in the display base. Some creative modelling will be required to disguise the switch and battery pack (ammo-dump, anyone ??).

Whilst buying the lights, one electronics "guru" suggested that a small circuit board could be installed inside the hull to make the LEDs flicker randomly - just like candle-light !! I have done some research into this and hope to have the hardware in a couple of weeks.

post-675-0-12482300-1361096741_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Today was dedicated to a final check and sanding of all keel and bulk-head pieces. They now fit together beautifully !!

As I have to move house within the next few weeks, I do not wish to glue these together for now. So, it's back into the kit with them for the time being.

Next steps will be studying the plans to position my false lower gun-decks and building these to fit. I will also start working on the coamings and some stairs leading down from the spar-deck to the false gun-deck.

Stay Tuned ...

post-675-0-83792400-1361097069_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hi Captain Steve, :) ng forward to new updates

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Good to see your build log back up. I couldn't help but notice that big blue box the model came in. I guess Model Shipways has switched to some new packing. I bought the Sopwith Camel airplane model kit from them a week ago and it came in the same type of box.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

My model came in last week in the same box.  It is probably more cost effective.  If it were a european kit we might be sunk with out the reference photos on the box, but MS does a good job on the plans.  More useful are the insights from builders like you!

Thanks for posting your build!

My model came in last week in the same box.  It is probably more cost effective.  If it were a european kit we might be sunk with out the reference photos on the box, but MS does a good job on the plans.  More useful are the insights from builders like you!

Thanks for posting your build!

Thanks Keelie ...

But I consider myself a lowly apprentice wood-hacker. I'm only trying to follow in the footsteps of people like Bob (BRiddoch), Jay (modeler12) and Jeff (helmsman).

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Regrettfully, this build will be on hold for a short period of one or two weeks. I'm moving house and so everything is back in the box for the time being.

However, I'm gunna be using the extra free time to re-read thru the plans, the practicums, and all the glorious highly detailed and informative build-logs here on MSW. You guys are one of my main reference sources !!

Might even get my hands on some Connie reference books. Anatomy of the Ship looks good. Any recommendations ??? 

Also, I've ordered the circuitry for the LED candles. If anyone is interested, I'm getting something called a Flicker3 DC. Mine is coming from a supplier in New York called North Country Radio (www.northcountryradio.com/Flicker.htm). Cost $32.95 USD + shipping.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

This is what my work-room boils down to ... ready for moving house.

(The big, pink thing is not a special ship-building tool .... that's my water-pistol)

post-675-0-37946800-1361706348.jpg

post-675-0-56708300-1361706357.jpg

post-675-0-49379600-1361706364.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Semi-settled into new address. Got sick of unpacking and so have set up a temporary work-space.

I'll be working on some of the smaller parts for a while, as I do not wish to start putting the keel-pieces together until I can establish a proper "dry-dock".

I know I said I would work on the false-gundecks and coamings, but have instead made a start on the ship's boats.

post-675-0-39731500-1361706737.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I have left the bottom piece (#1) off each boat for now as the instructions suggest it will be easier to shape the hulls before attaching them.

post-675-0-48466700-1361711589.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hang in there with the move. I moved Virginia to Florida and back over two years.  It was fun moving the models, especially those in progress.  Working on the smaller pieces is a great way to stay active!  Good luck!

Also, very high tech with the candles. I can't wait to see how it looks!

Still working on sanding the life-boat hulls ...

post-675-0-40706700-1362139312.jpg

post-675-0-88877700-1362139320.jpg

post-675-0-17851900-1362139328.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

To the right in the last pic is my sanding tool.

It's just two pieces of plank with the sandpaper coiled around them ...

post-675-0-56178300-1362139456.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Add a little saw-dust ....

post-675-0-13651800-1362139510.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

... to a thin coat of PVA glue spread onto the section of hull that has been sanded a little too vigorously ...

post-675-0-56737400-1362140331.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

.... a little more sanding and no-one will ever know.

(With the possible exception of YOU !!!)

:)

post-675-0-70283200-1362140391.jpg

The only thing that bothers me now is the flat bottoms ....

post-675-0-04540700-1362140401.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Incidentally, the circuitry for my LED flasher unit arrived today.

(DAMN!! But that was quick!!! 5 to 6 weeks, my a$$)

B)

Now, I just have to begin and complete a degree in electronics before I can unnerstand it !!

:(

post-675-0-95687900-1362140283.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Whilst I find the quality of my MS kit to be better than excellent, and the plans are highly detailed, I do think that a photo-book would be helpful to those of us (ie: Me!!) who are not trained engineers.

Looking thru MSW for some inspirational pictures which would show me (in colour) the detail for my ship's boats, I found these builds by our Fearless Leader:

18th Century English Longboat

18th Century Pinnace

Thanks heaps for these, Chuck. They will prove to be an invaluable aid as I continue to work on this section.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks Harv. I see your build is coming along nicely.

I'm taking baby-steps for the time being as I cannot set-up a more permanent work-station until approx halfway thru the year - still have one more "residential adjustment" to be made.

So, for now, I plan to work on the small stuff - ship's boats; coamings; carronades; false gun-decks; degree in Electronics Engineering (for the LED candles).

That should kill a few months of spare time.

Long live the FakeCaptainsClub !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Went for a visit to my favourite hobby shop today ...

$100 later and, as well as paints, some paintbrushes, a few new razor knives and a few various sizes of styrene stripping (Yes, MrRiddoch), I've got myself a new toy !!! 

post-675-0-47610300-1362229622.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Until now, I have never been a big fan of power-tools combined with ship-building. I have always been terrified of making a tiny slip which would irreparably damage my hard work.

However, in just two hours with this little toy - essentially an engraving tool with an assortment of sanding/grinding bits - I've managed to shape out the hulls of all four ship's boats !!!

Call me a convert !!

post-675-0-09637600-1362229821.jpg

post-675-0-48716300-1362230788.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)