USS Constitution by CaptainSteve - Model Shipways - 1:76.8 scale

Thanks Geoff.

In truth, it will take some time before I am back to where I was.

Still, it was only one boat.

I s'pose things could've been worse.

(previous post deleted by CaptainSteve because it was not model ship related)

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy !!

Just a quick broadside to say that I should soon be back into my modelling.

I've managed to order replacement templates to re-construct the missing whale-boat and expect they should arrive any day now.

Also, whilst out-n-about for work one day, I discovered a watch-maker who offered to source some very small cogs for me. The idea being to use these to represent the winching cogs at the ends of the trundle winches. I picked these up yesterday.

Final note. My very loyal canine companion and ship-mate of the previous 11+ years was put to rest last Friday.

She will be missed very much.

RIP Sempei.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I don't know Steve, we must be having some of the same vibs. On August 12 I put down my best freind of 16 years Star a pit bull. I know how you feel. Now if you come up with a Saint Bernard I will really be suprised :D Take care

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your thoughts, Geoff, and very sorry to hear about Star.

But, hey, 16 years - that's an extremely good innings for a canine companion.

To me, that only says that you must have been one heck of a good master. 

My girl was around before and through my first two builds - and guarded my work-space closely.

NO-ONE, not even the ex-GF, was allowed in there without me - you try arguing with a Rottweiler that's sayin' 'No'!!

(As things turned out, Sempei was a better judge of character than I !!!)

A StBernard, hey ??

I haven't given much thought to another dog at this stage - but one of the ole Alpine rescue dogs would certainly be high on that list, for sure.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

On the ship-building side of things, I must confess that little has been accomplished lately.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the replacement templates for the missing whale-boat.

The past weekend saw me (finally) getting back to work with the benches and gangway of the Captain's gig being replaced.

The scale of what I had done seemed wrong, but is more to my liking now.

post-675-0-02449000-1377619116_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve, found your build log, good luck on your Conny!  I too am attempting to model the 1812ish transom, with a little builders license thrown in...  The book you showed in an earlier post looks interesting, how is it?  Would you recommend it?  I need something that details that period.  

Thanks and good luck!  BTW, your ship's boat(s) build are a build log in themselves...

Edited by cookster

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Steve, found your build log, good luck on your Conny!  I too am attempting to model the 1812ish transom, with a little builders license thrown in...  The book you showed in an earlier post looks interesting, how is it?  Would you recommend it?  I need something that details that period.  

Thanks and good luck!  BTW, your ship's boat(s) build are a build log in themselves...

Wes,

That book (Anatomy of the Ship) has a wealth of info on Connie. There are heaps of plans and diagrams on every aspect of her construction and I am certain that it will be of immense value once I get around to working on the actual ship - as opposed to the life-boats. In particular, I found the section on the history of the Constitution to be very interesting.

AOTS actually portrays a number of possible stern window assemblies - there are 5-, 6- and 8 window versions displayed - so a great deal of conjecture exists as to which was correct under a specific commander and at a specific time/battle. It seems the variations are due, in part, to various interpretations of art works produced showing the Constitution.

As to building an 1812 representation, there seems to be a lot of speculation on how she looked, and not a whole lot of definitive evidence. For me, as for the author of that book, one of the better sources appears to be the artist Michele Felice Corne.

Basing my decision mostly on reproductions I have found of his works, I will probably go for the 6-window configuration - although that choice may change later.

AOTS covers the entire history of Connie, and, as such, doesn't focus a great deal of time on the 1812 period. One criticism, I thought it a bit disappointing that there weren't more colour photographs of the ship as she stands today. But, personally, I think it IS a very good book, although I'm not really qualified to say if there are better.

Hope that helps ... and if you find a better book, please let me know.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve

Good to see you getting back to modeling. The dog rescues are the way to go. Thats were our St Bernard came form. Everyone needs a second chance

Geoff, I agree with you completely!!

I find it particularly sad that way too many of the dogs found in refuges are there because too many people fall in love with a cute lil puppy and have no concept that it will very quickly grow up.

They have no idea how to look after and train their dogs, then become angry when the dog displays behaviour that is instinctive and natural, especially considering that the poor animal is most likely not exercised and/or is left locked up in a small backyard.

Next thing you know, frustrated Fido has destroyed a $500 pair of golf shoes (that shouldn't have been left within reach in the first place!!), and a trip to the local animal shelter follows.

I don't think I have to tell you, my friend, but remember, a dog is for life - not just for Christmas !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks Steve for the great info.  I've seen "ATOS" mentioned quite a lot on here and didn't know it was that book until now.  I think I'll order me a copy.

Thanks again!

Wes Cook

• 2 weeks later...

very nice build, I am sorry to hear about the thieves....terrible lot and they should be keel hauled....that would cure their thievery....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Ahh keel-hauling !!!

Those were the days !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve, I bought the AOTS book.  Very good indeed.  Now I gotta resist the urge to look at every little detail and obsess over it.... :omg:

I have decided to remove the bullwark section that was added in the 1927 overhaul, between the gangway and gunport.  I've picked up the razor saw a couple times to do it but so far haven't had the courage.  Also need to see if the bullwarks were red in 1812?  Gotta research that one some more...

Thanks again for the tip on the book, and continued good luck with your build!

Wes Cook

Wes,

With regards the red bulwark strip, I had already decided to do away with it for my own build, but I think some other Connie builders have included it. For me, it came back to memories of the old plastic model kits (of Connie) which I remember from my younger days.

By the way, I've been silently following your build and think you're doing a fantastic job on it.

Keep up the great work. I'm particularly interested in seeing how you do your stern transom.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks Steve!  I keep going back and forth on details...  The artistic side of me says make it look good and be happy with it.  The engineer in me keeps wanting to fret over details....  Ah well, It will all come together at some point.

Continued good luck on your builds!

Wes Cook

Wes,

I know precisely what you mean, because I am exactly the same. Whether we are building a Connie, SoS, Mayflower or Victory, we can only build our models to look the way which we, ourselves, want them to look. Whether we choose to go with how someone else (the kit designer) has chosen, or by referencing paintings, or by cross-checking historical records, I think it is ultimately up to the individual to decide how he/she wants their own build to look.

Now not wishing to muddy the waters further for Connie builders, I include a pic of the latest book I have purchased ...

post-675-0-22128300-1379594946_thumb.jpg

The following is a quote from the pen of Mr Roosevelt:

"There is a curious parallelism in the errors of (all) sides (of historical research). For example, the American, Mr Low, writing in 1813 tells how the Constitution, 44 (guns), captured the Guerriere of 49 guns, while the British lieutenant Low, writing in 1880, tells how the Pelican, 18 (guns) captured the Argus of 20 guns. Each records the truth but not the whole truth, for although rating 44 and 18 guns the victors carried respectively 54 and 21 guns, of heavier metal than those of their antagonists."

I bought this book because I have been a student of history almost my entire life. And I admit that I have a near insatiable appetite for the history of any project which I am working on.

But 54 guns ?!?!

I must confess that this was a detail which I had never encountered before. I am currently scratching my head pondering where to put the additional 10 guns, as I really do not wish to challenge the authority of Theodore Roosevelt !!!

(I'll get back to you if I find any mention of the transom details in this book.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Interesting about Roosevelt. You might consult with Henry .... Popeye2sea on this forum. He is one of the 1812 Marine Association, which enacts battles, and preserves the history of the Marines on board the Constitution. He is a historian, and might be able to give you some insite to this.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for neglecting my ship-building duties for so long, everyone.

I promise to have myself keel-hauled.

What can I say, but, Arrr !!

The replacement templates for the missing (hi-jacked) whaleboat arrived just the other day. These have been glued (except for the bottom piece) and are currently drying, before shaping takes place. I envision it won't take too long to be back where I was before. At least this time I know how I want it to look, and have its' twin to follow along.

In addition, a complete clean-up of my (very small) build table took place just this morning.

As of this moment, six thin strips are soaking before meeting my curling iron. These will form the fenders, with the cap-rails going on top. As mentioned previously, I intend to fit loops of thread (mooring ropes) to the ship's boats.

Pics soon (when there is something to be photographed).

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Texxn5,

Thanks for the tip-off. I've sent a (rather long-winded) PM to Henry as you suggested and am now hoping he may be able to shed some light on a few of my questions.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just a couple of pics to keep everybody's appetite satiated ....

Firstly, the replacement whale-boat as it stands now. I'll probably skip any further pics of this until it is back to where it was previously.

post-675-0-77289600-1381642871_thumb.jpg

Next are some of the fenders whilst in production:

post-675-0-37854800-1381642886_thumb.jpg post-675-0-82565100-1381642905_thumb.jpg post-675-0-67528300-1381643069_thumb.jpg

After pre-soaking and bending, each strip was slightly grooved at precisely measured intervals (16mm). This allowed for exactly 9 loops along the length of each fender.

Short lengths of black cotton were cut to 25mm lengths, the idea being to make each hanging loop roughly the same size.

It was a bit fiddly trying to fit these, but with two sets of tweezers (one set are the self-closing type), numerous glueing of fingers to the fenders, and copious use of sea-faring language, I got there in the end.

And this is the pinnace with fenders fitted ...

post-675-0-10510600-1381658398_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Glad you like 'em, Geoff.

To be honest, I was a little worried that someone (like yourself) was gunna tell me that the ropes were not historically accurate.

:cheers:

So far, only the pinnace has these fitted, but I will forge ahead with ropes for the remaining boats now.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Work continues on those fenders this weekend. As well, a start has been made on cap-rails. I umm-ed and ahh-ed for quite awhile on exactly how to do those, as the curves required to be put into them are in both the horizontal and vertical planes (except the pinnace). I think I've come up with a workable solution.

Whilst out and about for work during the past week, I happened to mention my hobby to a client, only to learn that he and his wife had actually visited the real Connie recently.

The following are a couple of pics he graciously sent me. These are chopped-down versions of the pics - the originals show up the scroll details beautifully.

Thanks again, Ken.

post-675-0-73992400-1382207376_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-80719800-1382207418_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve, 

Sorry for the long wait on this reply.  Here is what I understand is a history of the ships configurations.

As built Constitution had open rails ( no enclosed gunwales) from abreast of the foremast to the taffrail with stanchions defining the gun ports on the quarterdeck aft of the main mast.  The line of the cap rail did not follow the sheer line, it had a flatter appearance. Her bowsprit was steeved higher than it is currently. She had open head rails and ornately carved trailboards with a figurehead representing Hercules.  She was pierced for and carried 30 guns on the gun deck and carried 14 carronades on the quarter deck (rated as a 44).  The carronades on the fore deck were added later bringing her war of 1812 armament to 50 - 54 guns (including bow chasers).  The transom was ornately decorated and had 5 windows

I believe that the first Corne painting that you posted depicts this configuration.

Sometime around 1802-1803 Captain Preble was fitting out for her Mediterranean cruise and it is at this time that the section of rail aft of the mainmast was closed in by a solid gunwale.

After a collision with President in the Mediterranean on Sep 12, 1804 Constitution lost her jib boom, flying jib boom and part of her bowsprit.  Also lost were her figurehead and parts of her cutwater and head rails..  Repairs in Malta were functional only and her bow has never looked the same since. She received a billet head in place of her figurehead and the trailboards and head rails were not restored to her original appearance.  The head rails were still open during the war with Britain.  Subsequent overhauls and repairs would gradually alter her bow appearance to what it is today.

During 1812 Captain Hull opened three gunports in the upper transom (above the windows) in order to fire stern chasers at the British squadron.

The second Corne painting you posted shows this configuration.

During a refit in the 1830's  the sheer line of the gun and spar decks was lowered aft of the main mast.  2 1/2 feet in height was added to the bulwarks from the main gangways aft to the transom.  The fore mast was shifted 2 feet aft and its rake was increased 2 1/2 degrees. The main mast was shifted 2 feet forward. The mizzen was shifted 13 inches aft. The rudder port was lowered and the rudder head moved forward.  A dog leg was added to the tiller to clear the deck beams of the lowered gun deck.  The transom was moved slightly aft.

During her conversion to a school ship for the US Naval Aceademy in 1858 two of the windows of the stern were filled in

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Henry,

Thank you for your input. Your information has answered at least a couple of my main concerns regarding constructing an 1812 replica.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

A brief few hours at the ship-wright's table today saw the fenders on the pinnace removed, rebuilt and replaced.

Glue is still drying on these modifications but, essentially, the fenders have been lowered approx. 5mm to allow for red splash-boards and oar-locks to be added.

My oar-locks started life as links in a (cheap) gold chain. These were cut in halves (nail-clippers proved ideal), and then fitted into grooves filed into the splash-boards with a circular file.

I think this look is a definite improvement over the previous pic.

post-675-0-18542600-1382876814_thumb.jpg post-675-0-86065100-1382877031_thumb.jpg

(Arrr ... those oar-locks are a little difficult to spot in this photograph. Also, I need to touch up the paintwork and shape the port fender.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the tediously slow speed at which this build-log develops, I can re-assure you that work does continue ... just at a hideously slow rate.

This week saw cleats made. I used a variation of a brilliant method shown here on MSW ...

post-675-0-59466500-1384650179_thumb.jpg

After drilling the holes, I widened them out with a circular file, cut them to separate and then finished shaping.

Here they are on the three existing boats ...

post-675-0-14650700-1384650885_thumb.jpg post-675-0-11216200-1384651003_thumb.jpg post-675-0-44533500-1384651027_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)