OK. Let's give this thing another shot.
I'd been hanging around this fantastic site for about 4 weeks whilst awaiting the arrival of my ModelShipways USS Constitution. During this time, I discovered MSW (now MSW2.0).
I was blown-away by the beauty of the ships and quality of workmanship produced by the members on this site. Yes, yes - go ahead and take a collective bow. You all deserve it !!
Whilst I am not a complete "newb" to modelling, having done two kits to date, many of the techniques employed by you guys and gals were largely unknown to me. Up til a month ago, I had no idea that "bearding lines", "garboard strakes" or "rabbets" even existed.
My two builds so far are berthed with two of my brothers. CaptainPete commands the HMS Victory (launched June 2006), and the Apostol Felipe is under the capable watch of CaptainPaul. It has been two years since the launch of the Apostol Felipe. Through a combination of work, life-in-general and indecision, it has taken this long before I finally settled on the USS Constitution for my third brother, CaptainDen. I tend to choose my builds based upon to whom they will be going.
I look forward to this journey, and actively welcome any hints, tips, advice whenever I require it. I will try to post as many pics as possible as I go.
I do have a few "kit-bashes" which I plan to incorporate into my build:
- All sails rigged as furled.
- 1812 version with 6-window configuration at stern. Painted white outline. Side galleries also black w/ white outlines.
- Deck hatches open and left askew, where leading via ladders to partial lower gun-decks.
- Flags installed as per modeler12 method.
- [OPTION] LED candles for lower-deck/gallery lighting. Wiring thru pedestal holes in keel.
My "Connie" kit finally arrived a few days back ....
Edited by CaptainSteve, 15 December 2016 - 06:22 AM.