Triton (1:48) by kellrandy (Randall)

Randy,

Have you checked the printed copies to make sure they printed out at 100%????  I've had that problem were some print fine and others print at a different scale due to printer settings changing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah, I check all of them. The ones I print come out fine with the scale on them. They come out to a perfect 1/4" between tick marks. I also double checked the framing template I had printed at a local office shop, came out fine. Weird thing is that so did the keel plan according to the scale on it, but it's off. The cutting templates for a lot if the parts don't fit. They're off around 5/16 of an inch in what I have printed. Things are working out fine when I don't mess with that plan, so it's just a reference now for what goes where.

Stern rebuild progress...

Taking apart the keel wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be and went fine.  Nothing came apart that shouldn't have.  Have the two end sections ready to go as well as the stern post which I was able to reuse with a small patch on the bottom that's barely noticeable.  Still contemplating redoing it because of the patch, but I think it looks good.  Next up is the deadwood and two aft sections of false keel... again, lol.

post-4996-0-49794300-1395264597_thumb.jpg

Remember one thing on a redo. Take your time and get it the way that you want to as you will always look at that area.

Good Luck and enjoy the build.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thank you, Tim. I needed that little reminder. I wasn't that big a fan of the patched stern post, so I started redoing that last night. I do want to be proud of it and not have any regrets when I look at it. I want to remember how a big mess it was and how I was able to make it right. Thanks again.

Howdy, everyone. Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know how the stern re-do was coming along. It has gone very well. I have the keel, stern post, inner post, deadwood, and transoms redone and they came out much better this go 'round. I'll have some pics of the rebuild tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all of the support and help I have received. I didn't think I would be able to recover, but a little patience and me being so methodical with every minute detail is paying off I think. I feel much better with its progress now and test fitting the frames has gone great. Everything is lining up the way it should now. Thanks again everyone.

It's very tricky to get those transoms lined up and you've done it very well.  Excellent job!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks great . Nice work. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hi guys! Raising the cant frames is going good and have 27 & 28 up. I just want to verify something before I go onto 26. If you look at the framing template, the guide lines for 25, 26, and 27 cross, so if the frames aren't narrowed on the floor futtocks, then you can't get the fore most frame to land on it's guide line (at least I can't, lol). If I want 26 to land perfectly on its guide line, then I'll have to take a little (about 1.5mm to be exact) off of the fore end of frame 27 on its floor futtocks, perpendicular to the deadwood both horizontal and vertical. Before I do that, I just want to make sure that is what was intended on the plans. If I did do it, the angle for 26 will land it just right along its guide lines.

Sounds reasonable to me, but I've not built this vessel.  The key is that the planking line doesn't change.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

hello Randy!

I think the key is not sand at all the part that goes against the deadwood. As Mark has said, The key is that the planking line doesn't change. If you have cut the frames according to the patterns do not worry to much... There is lot of meat to be sand and fair later on.

Don´t know if it helps...

Best wishes!

daniel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  Got the aft cant frames raised.  Please let me know if you notice anything amiss or incorrect.  I don't see anything too bad, and am pretty happy with the way it turned out.  I haven't done any heavy fairing on them yet, that's the next step, and add the copper bolts to the floor futtocks.  I am going to leave 20-23 or so a little thick until I get the aft square frames in so I make sure I don't take off too much.  After fairing the aft portion, going to move onto the fore cant frames.  Have a good one guys.

post-4996-0-79625400-1396987383_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-75871300-1396987393_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-14384200-1396987405_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-65905400-1396987415_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-02575200-1396987425_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-37768500-1396987434_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-28585900-1396987445_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-18439000-1396987456_thumb.jpg

Hi Randall

Congrats, you are doing a great job.

Can it be that the cant frame by the transoms is to breath at the upper end?

Edited by jaerschen

Hi jaerschen,

Thanks for the compliment, and many more thanks for pointing out that frame. I can't believe I didn't see that before. I guess when you stare at something too long you don't see everything. I double checked my measurements to make sure the others were good, and luckily they are. I've only faired on the floors so far which I'm happy I haven't touched the tops yet. It's off by enough to where it won't fair in correctly though. I had already planned to place temporary bracing all the way around the top of the hull on the inside to make it more sturdy during the fairing process to avoid catching a corner and breaking something. I'll back able to pull it back in line then. Thanks again for noticing that.

Randall

Hi Randall

I know that mistake, I had a similar situation ;)

But I'm a bit surprised that you understand me because I said "breath". A friend tell me now what "to breath" meant. :)

I should have say "broad".

• 3 weeks later...

Hey again everyone.  I have the fore cant frames done and am in the process of raising them.  While I wait for the glue to cure during the raising process, I was going to move onto building the hawse frames.  I noticed two sets of them and was wondering which ones I should be using.  There is a set bundled with the frames, and another set bundled with the keel, stem, and stern parts. which set did you guys use? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Thanks Richard.  I'll be using the ones bundled with the keel, stem, and stern parts.  I compared them and both sets came out the same, just that the ones with the keel is more detailed with the beveling lines and so forth.

Now for a few progress pics...  Got the fore cant frames raised.  Now I'm off with the hawse frames, following Daniel's method in his log.  Thanks for that by the way, Daniel.  Doing a test set first with some scrap pine I had laying around to work out everything and so I don't waste the mahogany. Take care guys and happy modeling!

post-4996-0-30881500-1399337582_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-46948900-1399337591_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-96435600-1399337598_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-70885900-1399337607_thumb.jpg

Thanks Juergen and Daniel. I've started my test run with the hawse frames and I think I am missing the plan for the bollard piece. I have searched through the downloads and the only plan there is the profile and front views. I can't find one with the side view in the downloads section. I found the one Daniel had posted in his log, but the link is broken now since the maintenance issue earlier. Would someone be so kind to repost it? Thank you.

Hey everyone.  A few progress pics... hawse frame construction. The test went well (except for 5 & 6) and the real thing came out as good as I could hope for. Still need some minor adjustment on the angles to attach them to the W frame and fair them, but I think they came out well. Still working out how I want to do 5 & 6. I attempted to do them along with the others, but that didn't turn out too well on my practice run. May wait to install them after I attach the others. Please let me know if any of you notice anything I might have missed.  Have a good one!

post-4996-0-24007000-1399613450_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-02883000-1399613463_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-02962700-1399613476_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-99865600-1399613486_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-15888000-1399613497_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-94847400-1399613509_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-61856700-1399613519_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-28585200-1399613530_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-67037400-1399613539_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-97800200-1399613548_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-87440500-1399613560_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-57249500-1399613571_thumb.jpg

Hey Randall!

Always a tricky piece to make... You have a huge space beteween frame #W and the 4th hawse piece... but it is looking good so far. Good luck with the sanding.

Is it cherry the wood you´re using?

Happy weekend ahead!

Daniel.

Like that sandwich idea. Very interesting. Good Luck and looking good.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks Daniel and Tim. That open space between the frame and hawse #4 is where the 5th & 6th hawse pieces fit. I didn't make them correctly on my test run. I'm trying to figure out a method for those two pieces. I'll probably end up doing them on the model instead of trying to assemble the whole piece off of the model.

Daniel, using mahogany for the structure parts, walnut for accent type stuff, ebony for the wales, and maple for deck planking, and haven't figured out the rest just yet.

Edited by kellrandy