Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Name the Ship Game

• Please log in to reply
3255 replies to this topic

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA

That be the ol' gal - the Mary Manning.  Your turn!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts
  • LocationJoshua Tree, California, USA

Name the Ship:

a ship.jpg

One of two sister ships purchased to participate in an on-going illegal activity.

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

I'm surprised there have been no guesses; although little known, the ship is easy to find.

Stockholm tar

Stockholm tar
  • Members
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Something to do with prohibition, perhaps?

• st george and Doreltomin like this

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

The clandestine operation was not rum-running.

Both ships were purchased in March 1947 from the United Fruit Company by the F. B. Shipping Company. Officially, the initials stood for "Far Better" but actually meant "F*** Britain". (No disrespect intended, this is a documented historical fact.)

Kevin from Hampton Roads

Kevin from Hampton Roads
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA USA

The "Pan Crescent" and "Pan York" (renamed Atzma'ut and Komeimiut) were the two largest ships in the history of illegal immigration to Palestine.

http://www.jewishvir...ation/pams.html

Dave, I was looking for the wrong illegal activity all along. I started with prohibition then tried pirate radio with no success. This was a tough one.

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Current Builds: Skipjack Albatross - 1:32

On Hold: Yacht Atlantic - Scientific

Completed:  Ships Boat - MS - First Planked Kit

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Well done, Kevin, you found it the hard way - Google Image identifies the ship in a few seconds. The photo is of the Pan Crescent (Atzma'ut). The Hebrew names given to the Pans, Komeimi'ut and Atzma'ut, translate respectively to Sovereignty and Independence;)

The Pans carried over 15,000 Jewish immigrants from Bulgaria to Cypress 27 - 31 December 1947, then transported most of the Jews interred there to Israel later in 1948. The best known of the immigration ships is Exodus 1947, the basis for a novel by Leon Uris and a movie, both titled Exodus. The Royal Navy had the un-enviable task of preventing illegal immigration of Jews to pre-state Israel before, during and after WW2.

Your turn, Kevin.

Kevin from Hampton Roads

Kevin from Hampton Roads
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Ok, this has to be one of my favorite ships. Probably to easy.

Name the Ship.jpg

Kevin

Hampton, VA

jud

jud
  • Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationLexington, Oregon

Was she a cable laying vessel? Comes from somewhere back in the cobwebs in my mind that is she might be the Atlantic..

jud

Kevin from Hampton Roads

Kevin from Hampton Roads
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Jud, you are half right. Cable laying was the only think she was successful at.

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Beef Wellington

Beef Wellington
  • Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Great Eastern?

Cheers,

Jason

"But if you ask the reason of this, many will be found who never thought about it"

In the shipyard:

HMS Snake (c1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

HMS Jason (c1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

That's the Great Eastern, designed by Isembard Kingdom Brunel. Launched in 1858 she was taken out of service in 1863 because she was too slow to compete in the aggressively competitive trans-Atlantic trade. Sold at auction in 1864 for about 25% of her value as scrap, she was converted to lay the first successful trans-Atlantic telegraph cable in 1866. She was the largest ship ever built until 1899. Propulsion was by paddle wheels, a screw and sails. The image is of her appearance as the cable layer, she was originally built with five stacks.

I just now found that Jason beat me to it.  :(  That's what I get for taking a break for breakfast.

Edited by DFellingham, 17 February 2014 - 04:06 PM.

• Beef Wellington likes this

Kevin from Hampton Roads

Kevin from Hampton Roads
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Jason, You got it.

Dave, my understanding of why the Great Eastern was not a success was that she was too big. There just was not enough passenger and cargo to fill the ship. If I remember correctly she was considered fast. Crossing in 9 1/2 days.

Your turn Jason.

Edited by Kevin from Hampton Roads, 17 February 2014 - 04:44 PM.

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Beef Wellington

Beef Wellington
  • Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I always have such a hard time finding something, makes me regret guessing :-)  Anyway, hope this isn't too easy.  Name has been removed but no other changes.  I suspect its obvious if you know what to look for, otherwise looking at the lines will be of help. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

"But if you ask the reason of this, many will be found who never thought about it"

In the shipyard:

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Dave, my understanding of why the Great Eastern was not a success was that she was too big. There just was not enough passenger and cargo to fill the ship. If I remember correctly she was considered fast. Crossing in 9 1/2 days.

The Wikipedia entry for Great Eastern quoted from an article by R. A. Buchanon in Technology and Culture: "...she was used in the transatlantic business, where she could not compete in speed and performance with similar vessels already in service." Being even marginally slower than her competitors made it more difficult for her to make use of her capacity in passengers and cargo. The same Wiki entry also commented that Great Eastern could not take full advantage of the square sails on the center masts because the sparks and hot ash from the stacks set the sails on fire.

Great Eastern should be remembered for the innovations she brought to ship-building that are now standard features: the double hull and a compartmentalized hold. These features saved her from disaster when a pilot grazed the Northeast Ripps (now known as Great Eastern Rock) near Montauk, Long Island at 2:00 am, 28 August, 1862, that cut a hole over 9 feet wide and 83 feet long in her port side outer hull - about 60 times the area of the gash that sank Titanic. The passengers never even knew of this accident.

Edited by DFellingham, 17 February 2014 - 06:13 PM.

• Kevin from Hampton Roads likes this

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

The photo is used to illustrate both of the Royal Navy's Nelson-class battleships HMS Nelson and HMS Rodney. I'm unable to distinguish between the two. They were distinctive in that all of the main battery turrets were forward of the superstructure. The battleships were nicknamed Nelsol and Rodnol because of their superficial resemblance to Royal Navy oilers which all had names ending in -ol.

a ship.jpg

Edited by DFellingham, 17 February 2014 - 06:32 PM.

Beef Wellington

Beef Wellington
  • Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Congratulations DFellingham - ship is HMS Nelson (believe differentiated by the "NE" on the 3rd turret and before the anti-aircraft batteries were installed in 1932). Like the picture above, a very perculiar class of battleship.  Anyway, over to you...

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

I always have such a hard time finding something, makes me regret guessing :-) 

Agreed; finding an image of an interesting ship to post is frequently more challenging than finding the name that goes with a posted image, but I try to have fun with it. ;)

Name the Ship:

a ship.jpg

Edited by DFellingham, 17 February 2014 - 07:50 PM.

realworkingsailor

realworkingsailor
  • Members
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationThe Greater Toronto Area
USS Independance (CVL 22)

Aircraft markings kind of made that one a give away...

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor, 17 February 2014 - 09:03 PM.

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Builds:

HMS Pegasus (On Hold)
SS Stadacona CSL Self Unloading Bulk Carrier (On Hold)

HMS Diana

Next Builds:

USF Confederacy
HM Snow Ontario (somehow)

Dave Fellingham

Dave Fellingham
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Andy, I have no idea how you got the name of the ship from the aircraft markings. Here's a 10X enlargement of three planes on her deck.

a ship1.jpg

USS Independence (CV-22, later CVL-22) was the lead ship of a class of light carriers built during WW2 from partly completed cruisers. Commissioned 14 January, 1943, she served in several Pacific Theater campaigns earning 8 battle stars. After the war she was a test target for two atomic bomb tests then was scuttled near the Farallon Islands west of San Francisco in January, 1951. Besides being highly radioactive, it is rumored that she had barrels of nuclear waste on board which have contaminated the wildlife refuge and commercial fisheries near those islands.

Your turn, Andy.

• st george likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.