Harvey by ASAT - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50 - Kitbash

Well I asked KruginMi to re post his Harvey kitbash as it inspired me to do one, and he did, he also asked if I was going to post a log so here it is. I bought the kit in a kind of online garage sale - it must be a new version as about the only thing I wanted to use is the bulkheads and metal work/fittings. The kit came with alot of stuff pre made which looks pretty shabby so I am taking free licence to do it the way I want..... besides I am not a real stickler for historical accuracy - I like the way the woods look together and I give most of my models away to people that wouldn't know or care about the accuracy but they seem to enjoy the models..... I have substituted the kit wood with Boxwood, Pear, Holly, Bloodwood, Redheart and Bubinga so far. I'm still trying to work out the deck layout - this is where I was awed by Krug's version and I am deciding how much of his ideas I want to borrow? :) currently the model is at this stage....

post-574-0-03156800-1377235815_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-31014200-1377235845_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-96898000-1377236000_thumb.jpg

Edited by ASAT

Lou - that looks Great!

Your planking looks very clean and I love the wood choices (a little jealous). 

Talk to me about your rudder box and what you intend there (might be borrowing right back....).  I see it is time to bore out the bowsprit hole, good luck there.

Mark

A Little Jealous - Quite an understatement there. Lou Very nice work! I too an curious about your rudder box. Also I am curious about your Bow planking below the wale. Keep the pictures coming! I see you plan to have some depth in the hold. Tell us about that too.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks Guys, appreciate the kind words. The rudder box was just a way to cover my mistake when I drilled the rudder stem hole incorrectly :o I could have used a large diameter ring but I thought the box looked better.

I saw something similar to that done on Fly or Pegasus and thought it was a good solution for my ham fistedness - I will probably put a "lid" on it after I replace the kit tiller with a carved one and rig it. And yes, I have been putting off drilling that bowsprit hole, although the planking is boxwood with pear bulwarks so it will carve fairly clean if I go slow!

Not sure about your planking curiosity Floyd, it's pear which is a treat to work with and finishes beautifully - bends fairly easy too. The "depth" was just the way the center keel was cut in the kit - probably because the kit supplied gratings are more like window panes than grate holes - I plan on replacing the gratings as well - those fittings forward in the pics were just placed there, not glued yet... but I like the stairway shaft idea Mark used - I may borrow that as well!

Lou

Edited by ASAT

Lou - What I meant is could you give me a close up of your bow planking below the wale? Also as to depth did you cut the false keel or was that part of the kit? in your Pic it looks like you made room for a box under the hatch.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

I like your ship Lou

very nicely built, would like to see more as you go along

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Lou - thanks a lot! it looks real good!! :huh: You did a great job tying the planks into the keel. Did you add the wale on top of the 2nd planking? I think I see a light colored Plank underneath.

Yep, I added them after the second planking, still need to sand the wales a bit more...Tonight I drilled/carved the bowsprit hole and made the hawse cheeks (is that what they are called?)  and fit them.

post-574-0-40474300-1377580434_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-23855400-1377580959_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-01263500-1377580987_thumb.jpg

Well it took me two days (nights) to build a windlass - this is the first one I have ever scratch built - I used some gears out of my rc servos and found a handle/lever in another kit I have for parts - I can't decide if the overall size is too big, I didn't have any plan to go by, so I used the pictures from Kruginmi and Blackies Harvey build logs....I reduced the size 3 times and I think I am just gonna go with it -maybe I could reduce the height of the side posts?  Also do the spindle ends need some kind of "cap" or are they OK sticking out like that? Comments appreciated.......

post-574-0-07509000-1377760131_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-81693000-1377760139_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-40540100-1377760145_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-85544100-1377760150_thumb.jpg

Lou - why don't you get yourself a helper? Create scale crew man if when he stands at the handles it is the right heights you got it. Nice work by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been working on the the deck layout some more,  I made some more gratings with smaller grate holes .... and made a pump setup from some various parts I had laying around. I used some brass eyelets and straightened the flange for the lower section and glued a little brass fitting on top of that then drilled it for the output pipe and the actuator rods. I decided the stove location would be under the fwd hatch/grate so I stuck the kit chimney pipe in that one and made the large middle hatch a combo grate and solid removable boards....

post-574-0-06654500-1379749467_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-46208000-1379749481_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-30507500-1379749499_thumb.jpg

I then started on the deck house / companionway - made a drawing and shamelessly stole the one from Blackies build, not sure if that style is in the older kits or not but I liked it so I went with it. It took me the better part of a day to do it, made a shell from some 1/16" ply and then planked over it with bubinga and redheart framing accents. Was a pretty fun little piece to do...

post-574-0-57718100-1379750048_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-19939600-1379750065_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-65363400-1379750070_thumb.jpg

Also added some "fashion" pieces to the stern area to kinda tie that all together -  and a few shots of the current full deck layout.....  Still need to build a capstan for it - will be placed between the two grates....

post-574-0-77879400-1379750273_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-93648600-1379750304_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-74894100-1379750367_thumb.jpg

Lou,

I'm just coming aboard to see you very smart looking Harvey. The wood choices are excellent. I really like the way adjacent wood tones compliment each other. I'm a fan of bubinga and have rarely seen it on a model. It compliments the red heart well. Your windlass, bits, skylights and structures look very crisp.

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

Thanks Mark, lots of things seem to compete for our hobby time right?

Elia, good to hear from you, your Oneida has always been a benchmark build for me- I hope to get to a POF build one of these days.....

Edited by ASAT

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the capstan built, sandwiched some redheart discs together and made the whelps out of bubinga, also made the catheads and installed them.

post-574-0-37387400-1380687899_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-79306600-1380687913_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-32371700-1380687924_thumb.jpg

Also made and installed the pinrails and carved a tiller out of some redheart - didn't like the look of the painted casting. I'm thinking the deck layout is done.... I am considering a binnacle but I think it might get too crowded between the tiller / companionway area - what do you guys think?  In any case, I am waiting for a set of Pride of Baltimore plans to arrive before I do the channels and the masting / rigging.

Lou

post-574-0-88078600-1380688244_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-69779100-1380688270_thumb.jpg

Edited by ASAT

Lou,

You have to include a binnacle!  I wouldn't leave home without one (heard that in a commercial one day).  The tiller will be belayed to the bulwarks and the steersman probably not standing right in front of it so I think you have room.

As always, as captain you make the call.  But I throw my hat into the get'r done column.

BTW:  Beautiful work as usual.  You really knocked it out of the park with that tiller arm.

Mark

Edited by kruginmi

Thanks Mark, Guess I'll start on a binnacle. :) I am planning on doing a "revised " version of the rigging... more than the chintzy "plan" sheet shows but not a full PoB rig.... the standing rigging on the AL sheet is severely lacking, and there isn't much detail on the masting, I looking for it to be believable but not necessarily 100% accurate.  I'll have to wait till I get the plans to see what I want to include/delete.  

Did you kit have the sheaves for the catheads? Mine di it is a nice touch having copper pulleys in the catheads. I like your choice of woods. And yes a very nice tiller.

Thanks Floyd, nope my kit didn't have the sheaves and every thing I tried to make came out way too bulky.....  but I was trying to use brass. Then I saw a post on one of the Confederacy logs I think where they used a tiny disc of wood and I think that would have worked but I had already installed them - learned something new for next time I guess....  The binnacle is done and now the crew is not doomed to being lost at sea - they wish to extend a big "Thank You" to Mark....   :)  

Now back to waiting for the plans from Model Expo......

post-574-0-32647700-1380779855_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-47332500-1380779866_thumb.jpg