Spray by Cap'n'Bob - FINISHED - small - 1:48 - the first boat to be sailed single handed around the world

Hi all,

Years ago I read "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum, and in January 2012 I decided that I would build his boat, the "SPRAY", in 1/48 scale POF with bent framing. The way Slocum built it.  I started asking questions on this forum, and I want to thank all those who answerd with help.  The information on this forum is invaluable.

Then the research began.  In the first chapter of his book, Slocum said he was given an old "fishing smack".  So I looked for fishing smacks of 1800.  About when his was built.  Someone suggested the "Emma C Berry" for framing, so I hunted for information on that boat.  I also gathered as many plan drawings of the "Spray" as I could find.  About five.

Now it was time to check and redraw the plans.  The first thing I discovered was that ALL the plans had errors.  Things like, the shear and section views would agree and the shear and the plan views would agree, but the width of the plan was no where near the same as the width of the sections.  Of the drawings I had, the drawing from the appendix in the book was the closest.  So I traced that into an old copy of AutoCad and worked out the errors.

Checking the fishing smacks plans had shown a frame spacing of from 15" to 22" I chose 18" for framing the Spray.  I drew a section at each frame.  I offset a line .031" inside to subtract the 1.5" planking Slocum used.  The frames will be 3" X 5" so again I offset another line .062 inside the planking for the frames.  This gave me the section lines for the plug I will carve to shape the frames.

I am going to plank only half the deck and deck houses so I can show the insides, taken from the sketches in Slocum's book. (See below)

Bob

post-513-0-65270200-1361128684_thumb.png

post-513-0-33422300-1361128687_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-72653100-1361128688_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-66710300-1361128690_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-44501600-1361128692_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-49147900-1361128695_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-91415300-1361128696_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-41148600-1361128698_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-39999700-1361128700_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-07024000-1361128702_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob good to see the flash forward of the build again.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Bob, glad to see you back. I'd like to learn how to do frames like that on the Spray. They come out looking like the real thing.

Walt Biles

good to see your superb build bob.......the spray looks fantastic!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob I was hoping you would bring this build log back.  I recently read the book as well and put the Spray on my list of ships to bottle.  Your model is so well done I hope to use it as a reference when I do build the Spray.  Thanks for bringing it back.    

Thanks everyone for the kind words.  The spray was fun to build.

I'm still finding my way around on the forum but I'll be building soon.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thank you for posting your Spray build log. I didn't notice it on MSW 1.0.

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks,  Juan.

Molasses, your SIB is great.

Bob

• 9 months later...

I HAVE FOUND THE BASIC BUILD LOG AND APPRECIATED YOUR DIRECTIONS TO FIND IT.  THANK YOU.  SINCE I FIRST SAW IT I LOOKED FOR, FOUND AND BOUGHT THE BOOK ON THE MYSTIC SEAPORT BERRY WHICH HAS A LOT OF DETAILS I NEEDED.  MY BUILD IS VERY LOW CLASS AND SIMPLIFIED CARDBOARD AND PAPER PLANKING ETC SO IT IS NO COMPARISON TO YOURS. THE INTERIOR OF THE HULL AND CABINS ETC IS THE CHALLANGE IN THIS KIND OF MATERIALS FOR CONSTRUCTION.   THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND ASSISTANCE AND GREAT INSPIRATION. I DONT KNOW HOW THIS COMMUNICATION SYSTEM HERE IN MODEL SHIP WORKS SO I HOPE IT WILL REACH YOU  I SEE THAT TO BUILD MODELS ONE MUST LEARN COMPUTER SPECIAL MODES OF COMMUNICATION.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob,

Great model you made!.... Nice details. I have the idea to build the Spray from Joshua Slocum also. After reading all his books, I see Joshua as my hero!  I'm a sailor myself and sailing at sea for 30 years . What he did was, in that time, an amazing trip.

After reading his stories I found lots of information about his trips, his boat and a very nice inpressive youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iciZer5cbJ8

So, i desided to build the Spray in scale between 1;10 or  1;15 ( moreless between 73 cm and  1.10cm ) in traditional bent framing method. Many drawings are availible on internet. After several photos I made up my plan in detail.

And the Spray must able to sail with RC. So, the structure must be strong enough, mostlikely keperglass and epoxy inside.  

For sure I will make photos during the builing and leave some meassages and pics here on the forum.

regards,

Barend

Thanks, Barend, that should be a fine RC boat.  Be sure to start a build log so we can all watch.  And you might go to the new member forum and tell us something about yourself.

Bob

• 5 months later...

Hi Bob,

Well sir, you just helped me in a very big way. I love the old vessels in some of my lines drawings books and would like to research these vessels and make scratch builds as you did so well. I have been pondering for quite some time now. I am a draftsman and have been fascinated by Marine Engineering and Drafting. I just need to learn how to model. :rolleyes:

Keep going Bob because with you there is so much potential. Thanks for sharing your story of Joshua Slocum and Spray.

John E

Creativity Heart & Soul!

Happy Model Ship Building Friends!

John E.

Hi Bob, It was nice to see this build again. I have seen a few older build logs resurface again ( its refreshing ) You did an Awesome job . Hats Off

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

A lovely Little boat Bob,

I like it very much

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 months later...

I’m really sorry for not responding sooner.  I don’t know how I missed these posts.

John.  Pete and Nils.  Thanks for telling me how much you like the Spray.  It was a fun build.

John, how are you coming with your research and marine drafting?  I redraw the lines for all my models, and I’ve always enjoyed it.  Let me know if I can help.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you enjoyed my spray.  Have fun with yours.

Bob

it show you built a beauty Bob.........your still getting compliments! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks popeye, my friend.  I was a fun build.   But as we build we never know what others will like.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I just had a look at your "Spray" again, such a fine Little model !

I have one for you to see as well, recently I visited my son`s place, he (now 38 years old) had saved up a Little 17 cm long Pond boat, that could realy sail, I built for him for his birthday when he was 3 years of Age and I was realy honoured when I saw it now in a glass Vitrine. It used to have a little halfcircle shaped lead Ballast clamped to the keel, It`s nothing Special and would probably not deserve  the specification of being a scale model or so, but it has found a nice place for rememberance in his home, which I was happy to see again.

Nils

post-3445-0-58485000-1413399021_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-81493500-1413399025_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-24943800-1413399028_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-53839500-1413399030_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-39934700-1413399035_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, oh what a lovely little boat.  I’m so glad it’s being cherished.

Bob

• 2 months later...

Thank you, Mike.   

• 1 month later...

Hi Cap'n'Bob,

I want to build Spray. Slocum is quite a personality, and so is his boat! I am an architectural woodworking estimator, and I wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I thought that I may want to learn auto cad. But... it turns out I can't get the license, and one is quite costly. Do you know if there is any open source software, I mean would you recommend any ( I know there are many)?

I will probably ask you many more questions, since my project will take me a while. It's just a goal that I want to keep in mind while learning and doing things. BTW I'm a newbie - you may check my post. Today is the first day of my new life:). Love this forum! And your build is awesome.

Thank you.

jsolka

Edited by jsolka

I use DraftSight there is a free download at this address http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/ .

It is and older copy of AutoCad.  But it is fine for model work.  Feel free to call on me any time.  And be sure to start a build log as you build the spray.

Bob

• 8 months later...

Just saw this Joshua Slokum animation:  <iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/138939095"width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="

">SLOCUM at sea with himself</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/fierlingers">Paul and Sandra Fierlinger</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p> Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution