Spray by Cap'n'Bob - FINISHED - small - 1:48 - the first boat to be sailed single handed around the world

Thanks, Frankie.  That was great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hello Bob

I look forward to watching this.

Was one of the lines drawings you found by the American shipwright & designer Pete Culler? A friend has done a bit of research on Slocum & believes that Culler's was the closest. Interestingly, this friend also thinks that the design wasn't really a great choice for what he did, being such a shallow shape with no external ballast. But as we know from the text, as a boat she sailed herself very well.

Do you have any reflections on this?

I saw "Spray" and couldn't stay away! Very nice work, Bob.  Really excellent detail, too!

If you liked Slocum's book, you might like Bernard Moitessier's The Long Way.  I think he might have more salt in his veins than even Slocum.  I first heard about him from the book, Voyage For Madmen, the first solo circumnavigation race.  Required reading for sailing nuts.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Thank you Gerty it was a fun build.  Mark, I found several line drawings.  Since I could not check them against the boat I checked the three views against each other and the drawings in the book won.  Julie, Thanks for the complement and the list of books.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 4 years later...

Bob,

I'm going to try a scratch or semi-scratch build where I will open the cabins and deck like you did. I think you've done a remarkable job. 

:10_1_10:

14 minutes ago, HIPEXEC said:

Bob,

I'm going to try a scratch or semi-scratch build where I will open the cabins and deck like you did. I think you've done a remarkable job. 

:10_1_10:

Hi Hipex 

Sadly, Bob left us (deceased) a while ago. A true loss to MSW as he was always helpful and encouraging with his advice. 

Thanks

Patrick