The Kriegstein Collection - moved by moderator

The green covered edition referred to by Brian C is the second, revised edition published by SeaWatchBooks. This edition was published in 2010 (the first in 2007). It's an excellent production that does justice to the unique collection of models collected by the Kriegstein brothers over a number of years. The models are an inspiration. Indeed, most models are or should rightly be called works of art.

As samueljr writes, the models in this book were all built without power tools!

Yet again, SeaWatchBooks are to be congratulated on a first class production - and the authors on sharing their collection with us. I highly recommend this book!

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

I also have this book and as a bonus when the NRG was in San Fransisco we were invited to one of the brothers houses to get a good look at what was in the book.  Every now and then I look at the photos and wish I had some of them in my place.

David B

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have the first edition of this book (blue cover) and it is a beautiful one. There are some minor errors in the text, like listing HMS Hector as a British 74 at the battle of the Saints (while that Hector was a French ship of the line), but apart from this is an excellent visual reference.

Alessandro

Edited by Ferrari66

Hi Scott, 

I have that book too and love looking through it. Like David B I was fortunate enough to visit Dr. Arnold Kriegstein's home to see his collection. Simply amazing models and, as has been said here, all done without power tools. Put's my own ship modeling work to shame... Of course, so do so many great ship modelers on this site.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hello,

The blue jacketed Kriegstein was the initial volume.This edition is out of print. The green jaceted book is the new, revised and expanded edition. Six new models were introduced and the book had many more pages added. It is the version that is currently available at seawatchbooks.com.

Thanks,

Bob Friedman

• 3 years later...

I also have this book and as a bonus when the NRG was in San Fransisco we were invited to one of the brothers houses to get a good look at what was in the book.  Every now and then I look at the photos and wish I had some of them in my place.

David B

Good morning, David. Tell me, if I have a question that can be answered Arnold or Henry Krigshtay, how can I write it? I have a question about the auction in 1974, where they bought one of the first of its models

Hi Scott, 

I have that book too and love looking through it. Like David B I was fortunate enough to visit Dr. Arnold Kriegstein's home to see his collection. Simply amazing models and, as has been said here, all done without power tools. Put's my own ship modeling work to shame... Of course, so do so many great ship modelers on this site.

Clare

Good morning, Clare. Tell me, if I have a question that can be answered Arnold or Henry Krigshtay, how can I write it? I have a question about the auction in 1974, where they bought one of the first of its models.

N.B. NEPTUNIA No. 284 has an article by the Kriegsteins on "Le modèle d’un vaisseau de 64 canons,
construit par Augustin Pic en 1754
" in their collection (http://www.aamm.fr/boutique/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=522&language=en)

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg