Completed Model Gallery is for Completed models only

3 hours ago, Rcboater Bill said:

I know that the Gallery is only for photos, and limits the types of files that can be uploaded.

Is there a way to link to an external site for a video?   I have a short video (30 -60 seconds long) of my model underway.  It is hosted on my  (publicly viewable) Smugmug page.  I tried to add a link in the description of the album, but it won’t let me- I get an error “There is no image at that URL”.

The gallery is only for completed models anyway, so a model 'underway', wouldn't be a suitable addition. 

There is a problem with external hosting than many folks don't think about.... what happens to their photos/videos went the site gets sold, goes bankrupt, etc.?   We have more than few build logs here where people posted their photos on an external site and then posted a link here.  Those photos are lost to history.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, James H said:

The gallery is only for completed models anyway, so a model 'underway', wouldn't be a suitable addition. 

Sorry, I’m not following this line of reasoning at all….  how does a video of an RC model underway make it not a “Completed Model”?  (But an action shot  photo of the same model in  the water is OK??)

Plus, your response isn’t answering my question at all.  Pretend for a moment I took a video that slowly pans around a completed static model, showing it from all angles.   As I said in my original question, I know the gallery only accepts certain types of files. (Images only).   I understand why - videos can really eat up storage space.   That’s why I asked if there is a way to use an external link….   

Edited by Rcboater Bill

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

16 minutes ago, Rcboater Bill said:

underway

I think there is confusion about underway; I believe you meant in action and moving while an alternate definition might be in the process of being built. I’m curious if you could add the link to the description of the gallery? I think there are text sections that can be used to describe the completed work.

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

There is a problem with external hosting than many folks don't think about.... what happens to their photos/videos went the site gets sold, goes bankrupt, etc.?   We have more than few build logs here where people posted their photos on an external site and then posted a link here.  Those photos are lost to history.

That is very true-  I see it in a number of modeling forums- especially older ones.  Fifteen-plus years ago, many forums required you to use an external hosting site for photos.  For example, there are now lots of useless threads out there, ones that now have no photos, thanks to the whole Photobucket debacle.   But if the site didn’t allow/support native hosting of images back then, you can hardly blame people for using 3rd party hosting for images.  (And the gallery still supports using them to this day!)

In progress:  

completed:  

12 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I think there is confusion about underway; I believe you meant in action and moving while an alternate definition might be in the process of being built. I’m curious if you could add the link to the description of the gallery? I think there are text sections that can be used to describe the completed work.

I think that’s it!    As a former ship driver, “Boats underway”  =  moving through the water.

”Project or build underway” =   Construction has started.

I personally have way more projects underway that I do boats! 😀

In progress:  

completed:  

36 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I’m curious if you could add the link to the description of the gallery? I think there are text sections that can be used to describe the completed work.

That’s actually what I was trying to do when I got the error.  It seems the software won’t let you include a string that looks like a URL unless it ends in .jpg ( or one of the other supported image formats.).   A string ending in .mp3 is rejected.

I was hoping there was a trick that I just wasn’t aware of- hence my original question.

Edited by Rcboater Bill

In progress:  

completed:  

39 minutes ago, Rcboater Bill said:

That is very true-  I see it in a number of modeling forums- especially older ones.  Fifteen-plus years ago, many forums required you to use an external hosting site for photos.  For example, there are now lots of useless threads out there, ones that now have no photos, thanks to the whole Photobucket debacle.   But if the site didn’t allow/support native hosting of images back then, you can hardly blame people for using 3rd party hosting for images.  (And the gallery still supports using them to this day!)

MSW has always supported uploads directly to the site for images.   Barring opening a log for a completed build, you could post here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/4-nautical-general-discussion/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 minutes ago, Rcboater Bill said:

It seems the software won’t let you include a string that looks like a URL unless it ends in .jpg

Ahh, I apologize I must not have read closely enough.

• 2 months later...

Have we defined what is meant by ‘completed’ or ‘Finished’? I’m not trying to be flippant here, but just wanting to know. My intent is to finish my Mamoli Victory in the below configuration. I do not intend on including masts and rigging. If so, would that be considered as complete?Hull down configuration

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

• 2 months later...

That would be the best way.  Delete the three and open a album for that model.  Open a new album for other models as you finish them. 

Edit:  Never mind...I see you already did an album.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Enter your Album first.  Then you will see a button to add images to it.  But you must enter your empty album first.

• 3 months later...

NOW HEAR THIS!

Friends,

MSW requires that your gallery images be posted in named gallery albums. Loose gallery images (i.e., not in albums) are periodically cleaned out (i.e., DELETED). Please note the relevant instruction posted at the top of each gallery:

YOU MUST create an album for each completed model and upload your images in that album.  Do not just upload images to the gallery that are not contained within an album.  These will be deleted.   Thank you.

That means that @Mirabell61, @Jason Builder, @Richardp6, @RacerToo, @reklein, @Mark Lynch, @East Coast Oyster Sharpie, @Menne Kosian, @Rvandg, @Frank L., @cliff coppen, @Carlo Farina, @Peter6172, @Angler84, @closehaul, @bear, and @cihat karatas: YOU ARE CURRENTLY AT RISK OF HAVING YOUR LOOSE GALLERY IMAGES DELETED. Please move them into albums soon! If you need help with creating an album, contact a moderator.

Thank you!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 months later...

I am almost finished with my Constitution model, and I will soon want to post Photos in the gallery.  I looked at the above instructions the images of which bear little resemblance to the pages I encounter beginning of the absence of a shadow person avatar.  When I go to the editing of my profile, there is no prompt for gallery.  Can someone set me straight?   Thanks.

Hi KH, if you go to the top of the page, there is a Create button beside your user name. Click it and you will get a drop down menu. Choose Gallery and follow the prompts.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

• 1 month later...

No but if you add so many of a completed model where many views are almost identical it is like spamming.   Think quality over quantity.   And no under construction photos.

I have no interest in watching videos of a model, why?

As a photographer, and how I manage my photography website, it is an essential truth that the result of posting a large number of photos to a gallery is a sure fire way for none of those photos to be seen. Less is more, every time. I see this happen with Facebook posts, if I see +72 photos I don’t look at the first one. I see it in some build logs with a large number of photos showing pretty much the same thing, I skim right on by, especially if it’s photos not supported with text (the reverse is also true, text not supported by photos). 

My experience for a gallery is 12 images enough to generate interests an over 20 loses the audience. This doesn’t apply to a build log where there is a running narrative and progress photos, the difference between a gallery and a log. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 months later...

Nor having an iPhone, I would think so.  If you can post to a build log or anywhere else on the forum, you should be able to post in the gallery.  Note that I have seen others post to logs, etc. so it should work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 months later...

Been almost a year now, so time to give this message a bump! Take heed, please!

On 11/6/2022 at 12:28 PM, ccoyle said:

NOW HEAR THIS!

Friends,

MSW requires that your gallery images be posted in named gallery albums. Loose gallery images (i.e., not in albums) are periodically cleaned out (i.e., DELETED). Please note the relevant instruction posted at the top of each gallery:

YOU MUST create an album for each completed model and upload your images in that album.  Do not just upload images to the gallery that are not contained within an album.  These will be deleted. 

This means that @Old Rentner, @ExPat , @Начинающий судомоделист, @clearway, and @Rvandg: YOU ARE CURRENTLY AT RISK OF HAVING YOUR LOOSE GALLERY IMAGES DELETED. Please move them into albums soon! If you need help with creating an album, contact a moderator.

Thank you!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 months later...

I forgot to resize the images I attached to my Gallery album. Is there any way I can delete those images so I can attach the correct 1600x1200 max resized images in their stead?

Thanx,

Mark

Mark,

Your images have loaded into your album.  If you want to delete them, go to the image in the album that you want to delete and click on "Manage Image", which is located in the informational area below the image.  This will open up another box and scroll down to "Delete Content. Be careful!". Click on this to delete your image.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat