83 posts in this topic

There is a site that sales exotic woods from 1/8"  to 1" and a width from 1" to 3-6" and what ever length . if they don't have they will get it.

www.thinwoods.com/Wood-selections_c_16.html . It is a small business that I enjoy going to for my list of woods needs, I hope you check out the site. The business is in North Carolina and they do ship. Give them a look at.

Edited by rafterrat_2005
Chuck, WackoWolf, NMBROOK and 1 other like this

Perhaps you can add the following to the list as I was really struggling to find something in the UK. I've only just placed my first order with Twigfolly so can't commend on their service yet, and I haven't ordered anything from the others. Still, it may be a good starting point for others:

There is a site that sales exotic woods from 1/8"  to 1" and a width from 1" to 3-6" and what ever length . if they don't have they will get it.

www.thinwoods.com/Wood-selections_c_16.html . It is a small business that I enjoy going to for my list of woods needs, I hope you check out the site. The business is in North Carolina and they do ship. Give them a look at.

I must have missed something about this company or their website: What do they offer in the way of thin wood of all the species they show??? Do I really have to call them to find out that all they have are large planks???

Hello MSW

Another source for scale wood is Wayne Cantin. Wayne is located in New England USA and I first discovered him on e-bay. He sells wood for knife blanks, pen blanks, checker boards and since he's a model ship builder himself, scale wood for ship building. He also has a new item which is planking with 0.8mm Peruvian walnut edge glued to the planking to simulate the caulking for decking

He is a retired gentleman and in my 3 purchases with him I have found that he is willing to cut just about anything to any size down to 0.8mm in thickness.

His wood is not thickness planed to super close tolerances, but I find that not to be an issue for the type of building I do.

I've talked with Wayne many time both by email and phone and he has been a pleasure to work with. He does sell international but as always the S&H is the biggest issue there.

I contacted Wayne last night and asked if he would like to be listed on MSW's supplier list and he said "Yes, that would be great."

His email and phone are listed on his e-bay site and I've contacted him both ways with success. He also has 100% rating with over 1000 sales in the last 12 months on e-bay and has had an e-bay account since 1997. My first order with Wayne was made on a Saturday and the wood arrived the next Wednesday, which I considered a very fast turn around time. It was one of his 80 piece cherry sets and he allowed me to pick the sizes I needed. You can see this on my DSotM custom build as all the cherry used other then the veneer second planking came from Wayne. His orders are also typically packed in PVC pipe to prevent shipping damage and I have yet to receive an order that didn't include extras pieces.

He is a definite prime candidate to help our community and its ever growing demand for wood. One can buy from Wayne by simply using the ebay store but I found that one can contact Wayne through email and he will discuss and custom cut whatever is needed. He does custom cutting and not just what is listed in his ebay store.

I've even sent him wood (ebony and castillo box, as he dooesn't have those woods) I purchased from Gilmer, which he has cut for me and I've questioned him about larger stock for carvings and mast stock and he says no problem with that either.

Here is the URL to his ebay store, which has both his email and phone listed.

http://stores.ebay.com/tallships-model-builder?_rdc=1

I'll also answer any question that I can if anyone wishes to PM me with questions.

Edited by themadchemist
mtaylor, edmay, WackoWolf and 1 other like this

Hello Steve

I was wondering if you could or if it would be a problem for you to add Wayne's info to the first post as a US supplier from the post above, as it is pinned at the top of the wood forum.

Your pinned thread is a useful tool, and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pardon the delay, you caught me on vacation. I have now updated the list with his information. Prices look very good so I may have to give him a try myself.

I have found wood in the strangest places. Even Ace Hardware. Most hobby stores have some variety. The trouble comes when you need millimeter stuff and only find inches. Good luck

flying_dutchman2 likes this

I'm tossing this one out.  It may not help anyone outside the States but I've spent some time on it testing it and it seems to do what it's advertised to do... find a supplier(s) for a given species of wood.   Do note that the hobby type operations, Micromark, Model Expo, The Lumberyard, etc.  are NOT part of this.  But it will lead you places you can get billets and even milling.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Does anybody know where to buy Holly in EU/UK? Or it might be sold under different name?

It is also hard to google it, because all search engines are sure that I just did a typo in a word "Hollywood". Facepalm!  :angry:

Edited by Mike Y

Tried Arkowood (http://arkowood-shop.de). Was looking for a high quality wood supplier in EU, who have at least pear, Castello boxwood and ebony. Looks like I found it! :)

Wood quality:

• Colour variation - very small, wood is finely selected.
  • Thickness deviation: not more then 0.05mm!
  • Finish: very smooth finish, feels like sanded with 300-400 grit.

Other: 

• Custom size milling: no problem with that, if you do not see the right size in their catalogue - just mail what sizes do you need. The price level for custom milled wood looks the same as for the standard cuts they have in catalogue
  • Communication: excellent, I received a reply to my mails in a few hours!
  • Wood cost - looks ok. Hard to compare, but looks on the same level as in US suppliers. However, you save some money on not paying VAT, customs, postage fees and extra shipping, that you are usually paying if ordering from US ;)
  • Payment methods: paypal is accepted.
  • Delivery cost: quite moderate, regular postage price from Germany to other EU country. No feeling like you are getting overcharged for delivery.
  • Processing time: they promised 1-2 weeks, I got the wood in 2 weeks. So quite fast, with correct estimations
  • Packing quality: ok, no damages

The photo of what I received.

Left - swiss pear (steamed pear), center - castello boxwood, right - ebony:

post-5430-0-49849800-1415824578_thumb.jpg

Mike,

That's excellent news.  Were you able to find holly?

Steve,

Thanks for keeping the first post in this topic updated.   I'm sure we all appreciate it.

GLakie likes this

2015 We have new source for our wood. It is Crown Lumberyard and they should be added to this list. Especially since it is pinned.

Hobby Mill no longer supplies our needs but Jason at Crown Lumberyard has shown me that his products are as good as Hobby Mill's.

If any of you are in the Dallas, Texas area try Wood World.

www.woodworldtx.com

I do woodworking as a hobby and buy a lot of wood from them.

mtaylor likes this

http://www.crowntimberyard.com/

From their website:

Crown Timberyard offers the finest milled Hardwoods to  the hobbyist.  Specializing in Castello Boxwood, Swiss Pear, and Holly

Welcome to Crown Timberyard!  

We offer model ship builders and hobbyist premium scale milled hardwood in three traditional woods, Castello Boxwood, Swiss Pear, and Holly.  We also offer our milling services in many other domestic and exotic wood species.  Our products are available in milled sheets and strips in stock sizes.   We also accept custom orders to mill these woods to nearly any dimension.

Archi, Canute and mtaylor like this

Does anyone use alder for their models? I recently carved a figurine using alder and it was a pleasure to work with. But the grain is plenty visible so I imagine that is the drawback.

JD

mtaylor and Canute like this

I have used Alder on a couple of builds and will use it again. I have used it for frames, planking, and fittings as it does carved well. Where it will show it gets painted. Up here in the Northwest there use to be many alder mills and one could get planer ends by the truck load.

Hi guys, this is brunelrussell.  I have just tried to order some metric walnut for the Great Eastern from three English sources and couldn't get my credit card accepted at any of them.  I really need this stuff!  I may try a German site next. Has anyone else had this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Hi guys, this is brunelrussell.  I have just tried to order some metric walnut for the Great Eastern from three English sources and couldn't get my credit card accepted at any of them.  I really need this stuff!  I may try a German site next. Has anyone else had this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

What sources?  Have talked to them?  Since you're in the States, have checked with Crown Timbers and The Lumberyard?  I know Crown will cut metric and I think (but not sure) that Lumberyard will also.

Canute likes this

Brunelrussell update:  I looked over some of the German sources but my high school German wasn't good enough to decipher them.  I did manage to find what I wanted at, of all places, Model Expo; they had metric walnut.  I used Paypal once and had problems.  Anyhoo, alls well that ends...well?

Hi.

Just a update on the UK site twigfolly is now directing us to www.thewoodrack.co.uk.

Look's to be the same person with a new company name.

Nice range of timbers for people here in the UK and Europe.

http://www.thewoodrack.co.uk/

Regards Antony.

Edit added a link to site.

Edited by AntonyUK