• 6 months later...

Hi guys, 

I'm looking to achieve a similar look to the attached image. So i'm looking for two types of wood, in 1mm thick sheet, with a source in Australia (or decent shipping).

Any ideas? What types of wood would you suggest? 

The model is 1:16, the grain needs to be reasonably fine for the nice smooth finish.

I am close to floataboat, but I need to pin down some wood types to ask for first.

559918203_fdfb12c577_b.jpg

I think you're going to need thicker than 1mm.

This is for a BR1 engined Camel and (if I'm right) you would need 218.5 ÷ 16 ÷ 8 giving 1.7mm for this prop. Yours wouldn't be far off that.

Camel Prop Scaled.JPG

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest using Hoop Pine rather than Huon Pine for the light coloured layers, as the latter can be a bit greasy and as a result can be difficult to glue.  Hoop pine (often sold under the commercial name Arakaria) is much cheaper too. Although it doesn't have that wonderful smell that Huon Pine does when you cut it!

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2019 at 9:32 AM, Peter Cane said:

Hi guys.

I would like to buy a plank of pearwood but it seems a hard to get commodity here in Australia.

My questions specifically would be as follows.

1 Is English pearwood available in Oz?

2 If not, then can I legally have some sent from the UK ? Bearing in mind The Australian government are not keen on importing untreated raw wood because of infestation.

3. If I cannot get the Pear wood  what would be the next best thing that is like it to work and the colour that is available here in Oz?

If there is an Oz equivelant could you be kind enough to post a pic of what it looks like?

Many thanks.

Pete

I have only just seen this post but Pear can be bought from A1 timber in Hahndorf South Australia. Their website has a downloadable pdf of every species of wood they stock. I recently purchased 3 metres of Basswood from them.
https://www.bukartilla.com.au/timber

regards

John Murray

Copy+of+Timber+PriceList+2019[37402].pdf

Regards

John

Current builds:  Model Shipways 3 Kit Combo for Beginners. 1/48th HMS Echo Cross Section by Admiralty models.
Pending Builds: Victory Models HMS Pegasus and HMS Vanguard