HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Stunning mate. CONGRATULATIONS! It is always a nice moment but you'll probably miss fiddling with it...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Yes, the first is a bit of a thing isn't it..?   I think i started breaking stuff yesterday just so I could keep going ;) . Cheers Alistair, you have been a major influence and help on this journey..

Great job Ollie, always nice to see the final product as it gives you a real sense of achievement.  I look forward to seeing the job you do on the Endeavour!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Congratulations on an excellent model. 

On to the next project?

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Ollie Mate.. That is Special... Very Very Special ! Looks the Absolute Cats Pyjamas in the Glass Case thingy along side the other bits-n-bobs.

Do me a fav and post on here a wee 'Heads-Up' when you start your next build so we can all shift over and follow along from the start ^_^

Stay Well Bud,

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Oliver.  Looks like your fun is very successful.  So much precision and innovation has to be rewarding.  Thanks for the pics.  And I admire your workspace so organized and tidy.  My space is still evolving (i.e. it's a mess!)   I'm just starting the Willie Bennet skipjack but aiming to do a Mermaid soon.  Anyways, thanks for sharing your thought process and outstanding results.

Rick

Don't you worry about it.  I'm working on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Oliver,

I came across this site following a google search on the Mermaid, which in turn lead me to your build blog. Over the past 5 or 6 years I have spend a lot of time travelling the Australian coast especially the from Morton Bay to TI , the Kimberly's and Tasmania. For those who have spent time in those waters know the dangers that exist . This lead me to study the early explorers and those who charted these waters. The one who stood head and shoulders above all was Phillip Parker King....the mans a legend. If you haven't read the book " King of the Australian Coast" then I recommend that all should. Anyway....... As I said this lead me to researching his boat... Mermaid. I learnt more from your build log than any other resource.... Thank you. It has even inspired me to get the kit and give it a crack.

excellent sapphire, you are right, what a man.. i am getting a loan of the book from a friend who scored it for like $20 in obscure bookshop, he said it cost 600 on ebay, cheers for reply mate..

I have a fetish for all things history.. I have a hobby of finding old relics. yesterday i found an interesting coin...  it will go well next to my mermaid as she was made in india also.. India straits ONE CENT 1862. Minted in calcutta India..  http://www.obsoletecoin.com/2013/02/straits-settlements-india-straits-coin.html#ixzz391mlEvLk I find all sorts of things.. Ollie

post-7066-0-34815800-1406966881_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

You have done an excellent job on your cutter. Look forward to your next build

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Ollie.

Just catching up on your build.. I started reading through last year.

Amazing build and with all the improvements you have made makes for a real nice model to display.

Lots of attention to details and accuracy in this build .. You should give your self a pat on the back.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 10 months later...

Having just finished a build of this model I can add a comment for others - page 13 of this build mentions that there is a problem with bulwarks/ bow "  I have added my cap rails and extensions.. I am a bit dissapointed my keel at bow seems to have fallen a bit short of where it should be.. Stern could be a bit higher above rails also.  :huh:  I dont know how that happened,".

I had exactly the same problem and brought it up with the manufacturer, basically was told it was my fault even though I'd followed the instruction sheet as well as possible. So I went back to basics and rechecked all my work and still couldn't see where I'd gone wrong. Final ting was to check measurements - low and behold - there is a 2mm difference in height one end to the other for the bulwarks and although the fit appears better with the high end to the bows it should in fact have the lower end to the bows thus allowing the extra room in the bow keel for the required drill holes.

The instructions just say "identify and fit" no mention of the 2mm difference - I did point this out to the manufacturer and was told that they'd fix this in their next review.

Rick