USS Constellation by mtaylor - Artesania Latina - bashed heavily into 1854 Sloop of War - Finished

I'm not going to try to recreate the whole log, but here's all the pictures from the previous log.  They're not in any particular order but they might help someone.

Feel free to hit me with any questions.

post-76-0-07534000-1360957604_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-35815500-1360957601_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-83430100-1360957264_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-75642500-1360957279_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-69512200-1360957284_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-26966300-1360957316_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-80218900-1360957319_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-79627000-1360957322_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-06347400-1360957331_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-89258600-1360957329_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-36033700-1360957335_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-36035200-1360957338_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-88004200-1360957370_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-29004400-1360957375_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-64965500-1360957394_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-36206700-1360957398_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-97808100-1360957448_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-41323800-1360957466_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-96491300-1360957467_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-11230700-1360957471_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-83083900-1360957505_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-54681800-1360957507_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow Mark,

Did I missed this one at the old MSW?

Or are you playing jokes with me and you just finished this one in one night…...

Great build!

Sjors

Nice Constellation! This is one of those ships on my list. Now, if we all have our stories straight, then you can always say (as Sjors might be hinting at) that you did get this all done in one night! As they say "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"  ;)

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank you, Mark for getting Connie back up.  She's a classic.

WELL done!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow Mark, that is a gorgeous ship.  I LOVE the lighting!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Sjors, it was on the old MSW.. probably buried somewhere. :)

Patrick, when you're ready or before, ping me.  The AL kit has a lot of pitfalls when built out of the box.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I too must have missed this build......beautiful ship!    I agree....the lighting is a nice touch!   you did a superb job on her!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark: it's nice to see you 've got your Constellation back up, You've done an excellent build on her and it's one that everyone here should see.The picture with the lighting on is just awesome! Great job.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Mark,

Wonderful build! I like the changes you made to correct the kit. I had the kit, but sold it when I found out the AL model, out of the box, was ficticous. I also didn't like the scale (H.O.?)

Looks great!

Thanks,

Harvey

Harvey,

I almost tossed mine for the same reasons.  But I remember walking her in around '74 in Baltimore.  The kit looked like she did then.  So it wasn't fiction.  It was laziness.  They never changed the kit after the truth was out.  It was a few people pointing me in the right direction that spurred me into this bash.  Funny thing.... I noticed that AL include the hull hog that was there in '74.   BTW, the scale is pretty close to HO and not what they had on the box.  A bunch of stuff was either fiction or the wrong scale.

Hi Mark: it's nice to see you 've got your Constellation back up, You've done an excellent build on her and it's one that everyone here should see.The picture with the lighting on is just awesome! Great job.

Frank

Thanks Frank.  I've had few people say they like that stern shot.  Maybe I should give up model making and go back to photography? :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

I'm pleased to re-visit your Constellation log, she's a real show-stopper, my friend, and the upgrades you've given her have really spruced her up  :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks Aldo.  She was a learning curve to be sure.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark:

You took a very difficult kit and made a really nice model out of it. Congratulations.

Russ

Thanks Russ.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Really nice. I've been able to walk her decks a few times. A real pleasure and it is interesting to see the difference between her appearances before and after the last restoration from 1770's to 1850's.  Pretty cool lighting!

Well it was fun walking her back then in the 70's.  Pity it wasn't the old frigate they claimed it was.  It really was the 1854 Sloop that they bastardized into something they called "the real frigate".

For interesting reading:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constellation_(1854)

For even more indepth reading:  http://www.comicbookbrain.com/a_uss_constellation_history.php  and http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA241916

Quite the scandal...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 year later...

Very nice build. I am just finishing up my own AL Constellation that had been sitting in the basement for many years. Had the opportunity to visit the ship last summer while working the Baltimore Grand Prix. I dug her out and now she is looking pretty good - just a little more rigging to go.

Like many others here i was  not impressed by the kit, however I did learn a lot that will help with the next one.

Again - very nice build - congrats...

RR

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

• 3 years later...

Ah... this model is NOT one of the first frigates.   The AL kit is a fraud. We had a total system crash back some years and lost everything so this is actually a kit bash.  As I explained way back early on, what sits in Baltimore, which the plans were taken from decades ago, is the sloop of war from 1854.   There were some shenanigans pulled when they acquired her to make everyone belief this was one of them.   Drop the following into Google (minus the quotes) and you see what I mean:  "fouled anchors the constellation question answered".   

Given that the plans for the orginal frigate have gone missing, there's really no plans to build the first Constellation.  I was disheartened to find that out, but such is life.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 year later...

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 4 years later...
On 8/25/2023 at 8:20 AM, JDenny said:

how did you align your mast holes and angles?

Thank you

To be honest, I don't remember as it was so long ago.  We had a massive system crash (aka "The Great Crash" back then and lost everything so have no details.   

BTW, this is a bashed model from the AL kit to bring it in line from the kit to the 1855 ship.  The original was from the 1700's was scrapped and the Navy played some games and called it a "rebuild" due to a battle with Congress.   See:  https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Portals/103/Documents/NSWC_Carderock/fouled_anchors-1.pdf

I would suggest a couple things....

1) Start a log of your own as it's a great way to meet others and also get help.

2) Hit this link.... https://modelshipworld.com/search/?q=uss constellation&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=135   It will take you to the search feature and display all the logs for this model and you can check them out for how they did it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 months later...

Hi guys. 
im totally new here and wanted to ask you about this particular model. I’ve started plunking the hull, but im a bit confused. I have two kinds of wooden sticks (not sure how you call them), the super thin one and the thicker ones. I’m not sure which one I should use for the hull and which one for the deck. Also; I’m reading that the hull needs a cover up?  Are you using the thin ones for the first and the second layer?

many thanks! 

image.jpg

hi there :)  I've not built this model,  but I've done a few like it.  you would use the thicker strips to plank the hull.  the thinner strips would be for the outer hull.......you must need to double plank the hull.  are the darker strips thin as well.....if so,  they are likely what you must use for the hull.  the light colored thin stuff would be for planking the deck.  after laying it,  you can stain it to whatever color you prefer.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Welcome to MSW, Madin.  Sorry for not getting back sooner but life and and all that.   

Do give some thought to an intro post in our New Members area.   It's been a long time since I built this model and much is buried in Mind Dust, but I do believe Denis is correct.  There's more than a few builds complete and many still under way.  Use the search function with the keyword "Constellation" and you should get all the builds past and present.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

other builds in the same ship configuration and type may also give you ideas.   if your new to the medium, ideas are the basis for creativity.  you'll find that in some kits, the way they show to assemble aspects of the model may not be the best way to accomplish the task........I have found this in kits I've built in the past.  starting a build log on your project is a good thing too.........other folk will get a visual of your progress and issues, and may be able to suggest and share ideas they might have used.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 1/3/2024 at 6:31 PM, Madin said:

Hi guys. 
im totally new here and wanted to ask you about this particular model. I’ve started plunking the hull, but im a bit confused. I have two kinds of wooden sticks (not sure how you call them), the super thin one and the thicker ones. I’m not sure which one I should use for the hull and which one for the deck. Also; I’m reading that the hull needs a cover up?  Are you using the thin ones for the first and the second layer?

many thanks! 

image.jpg

The thick white/yellow strips are the hull planking first layer. The 0.5 mm thin walnut strips are the 2nd planking, the 0.5 mm thin yellow strips are the 2nd planking above the wales, also deck planking. This is how most of AL kits come, the ultra thins strips are veneer.. See my build log, link in signature below