Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Solid hull - suggestions please !

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

SpyGlass

SpyGlass
  • Members
  • 735 posts

A mate of mine wants to build a ship model of modest dimensions with 2 or 3 masts.

He is pretty insistent he would like a solid hull ("cant be doing with all that plywood !")

He is a skilled model maker in other fields so he is not looking for  a real model not a toy.

I cant find any kit that  matches what he is looking for  (the old solid version of Rattlesnake seemed close )

Does anybody have any suggestions ??

Edited by SpyGlass, 18 February 2013 - 05:50 PM.

Bahamas Diver

Bahamas Diver
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCleveland Ohio

Have you suggested Model Expo's Phantom Pilot Boat?  It has a solid hull with 2 masts but is a real model.  Also there are several people who have bashed the kit to make it even more intricate.  Of course, you may not be able to find those logs at the moment but I am sure they will slowly reappear.

David 

Current build: US Brig Niagara

Completed builds:  Oseberg Viking Ship - Billing Boats

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

The Phantom - Model Shipways

Next project:  Amati's Xebec

A ship has all the discomforts and lack of privacy of a jail with none of its safety or stability - Benjamin Franklin

Quis custodiet ipso custodes?

russ

russ
  • Members
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationBiloxi, Mississippi

The Phantom or Sultana would be good choices. If they still have a Dapper Tom kit that would be good as well. All are two masted schooners of different periods and all are solid hull construction.

Russ

SkerryAmp

SkerryAmp
  • Members
  • 812 posts
  • LocationMerrimack, NH

Echoing the suggestions.

Model Expo sounds like the best bet.  They have a few different solid hulls with 2 mast.

Phantom, Sultana, Katy Cory, Harriet Lane (if looking for something a bit unique)

Model Exp Solid Hulls

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

Hunter - Mamoli (Missing parts:  My Upcomming Scratch n Bash Project)

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

The Wish List (Someday - hopefully)

Model Shipways - Rattlesnake

OcCre - La Candelaria

Model Shipways - U.S.S Constitution

Model Shipways - Niagara

Artesania Latina - La Pinta

Something Scratchbuilt - not sure what yet, will cross that bridge when I get the nerve! :huh:

Timothy Wood

Timothy Wood
  • Members
  • 841 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia

Spy Glass,

I would Suggest BlueJacket Ship Crafters Smuggler.  

Im currently building Bluejackets 80' ELCO PT Boat and it's going very well, it has easy to understand instructions and all the material included in the kit is high quality.   :)

http://www.bluejacke...ts/smuggler.htm

Tim

Tim 

Current Build:

80' ELCO PT BOAT (Solid Hull)

Scratch Build - Atlantic (Schooner 1903) Half Hull: Winner of the 1905 Kaiser's Cup Race.

Future Build:

• BlueJacket - USS Kidd (Fletcher Class Destroyer) Solid Hull
  • Model Shipways - Pride of Baltimore II (Topsail Schooner) 
  • Model Shipways - Willie L. Bennett (Chesapeake Bay Skipjack)
  • Constructo - Pilar (Ernest Hemingway's Fishing Yacht)  
  • Sergal - Race Horse (Bomb Ketch)
  • Classic Warships - USS Salem CA-139 (Heavy Cruiser) Resin Kit
  • Pen Duick Schooner - Half Hull (Scratch Build)
  • CSA Submarine Hunley (Resin Kit)
  • Classic Warships - USS Washington BB-56 (Battleship) Resin Kit

Completed Builds:

Member:

Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

catopower

catopower
  • Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Hi Spyglass,

I'd suggest looking at the Bluejacket kits. All those mentioned here so far are 2 masted schooners. Along those lines, I've built a model of the Mary Taylor from scratch basically using the BlueJacket kit plans. Also have the kit sitting around here, which seems pretty nice.

Tim's suggestion of the Smuggler I think would prove to be an interesting build. I have the instruction book for it and it's very detailed.

Also, they have some 3 masted schooners and square riggers, all solid hull.

There is also the resurrected AJ Fisher company which has been re-releasing some old solid hull kits: http://www.ajfisher.com.

If you're set on a Model Shipways kit, there are also the old yellow box kits that show up on Ebay all the time. Instructions are usually pretty limited, but I really like the old George Campbell plans, which still show up in some of the older, but current, Model Shipways kits.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hyde Street Pier Model Shipwrights

South Bay Model Shipwrights

Nautical Research Guild

Current Builds: HMS Victory, 1805; USS Saginaw, 1859; Yacht America, 1851

Researching: Japanese Screw Steamer Kanrin Maru, 1855

Recent Builds: Higaki Kaisen, Japanese Edo Period Transport; 18th C. English Longboat; NY Pilot Boat Mary Taylor, 1850; Privateer Lively, 1813;

HMS Fair Rosamond, 1831

BareHook

BareHook
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationPort St. Lucie, Florida

The Sultana has a nice practicum available online for free that can be printed out. If it was lost in the crash, I can provide a PDF of the original that I downloaded.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

bushman32

bushman32
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDraper, UT

What about A.J. Fisher models. I haven't built one but I have heard they are good.

Ron W.

Ron W.

slagoon

slagoon

• Moderators
  • 525 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington
I'm doing the Harriet lane right now, is he sure he wants solid hull? They have their own unique challenges ... Feel free to check out my build. If he is as handy as you say he should be fine

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Sarah
Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane
Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings
Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpg   HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

SpyGlass

SpyGlass
  • Members
  • 735 posts

Thanks a lot gentlemen.  That is really much more than I had hoped for.  It would appear that there are a  lot more solid hulls available in the US.

Why he wants solid hull - perhaps he is fed up at my cursing as I describe my planking progress !!

I wil pass the ideas on thank you.

Edited by SpyGlass, 17 March 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
  • Members
  • 624 posts
  • LocationSan Diego area

If you are still taking suggestions, I recommend Model Shipways SULTANA.  Model Expo offers a practicuum by Chuck Passaro (MSW Moderator).  It is simple but turns out a very nice model.  It can easily be bashed so that the solid hull is planked over.

After reading your last ost, let me modify that....  planked down to the waterline, then solid below that.  Mine is painted below the wale but natural above.  No need for swearing and throwing things.  Save that for the rigging.

Edited by Chuck Seiler, 26 February 2013 - 06:58 AM.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:
Continental Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (1/2" Scale Model Shipways Kit)

Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans)
Continental Sloop PROVIDENCE

On Hold:
Colonial Pinnace VIRGINIA (1607)(scratch)
18th Century Longboat (Model Expo Kit)

Completed:
Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch
1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

donfarr

donfarr
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Hi, I am an advocate of solid hull models for many reasons to long to enumerate here. I normally plank and do the deck you can find some excellent older models such as marine models on ebay they are excellent models there metal parts deck structers are very detailed could not make them out of wood. Don

SpyGlass

SpyGlass
  • Members
  • 735 posts

Thanks everyone - he eventually went to  AJ Fisher and has gone with just the carved hull for Sovereign of the Seas.

I had no idea that there were so many solid hulls available.

donfarr

donfarr
  • Members
  • 195 posts

As I love solid hull kits it was already said you can plank them and lay a deck, ck. ebay Marine Models and sterling models are good. Don Farr

catopower

catopower
  • Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Hi Spyglass,

That A.J. Fisher Sovereign of the Seas hull is a big piece of wood! I'm sure he'll enjoy the build. I have the A.J. Fisher plans as well as Chapelle's plans from the Smithsonian and then those in the book How to Make a Clipper Ship Model by E. Armitage McCann. Some of the info is a bit dated, but he might find something useful in these. Also, since the ship was one of the McKay clipper ships, Model Shipways' excellent Flying Fish instructions and plans should prove helpful on the small details in particular.

At minimum, I suggest your friend download the Flying Fish instructions from the Model Expo website as it's a free download and might prove useful. 

Clare

P.S. Traditional American ship modeling is solid hull really. Sometimes, it's hard to get ship modelers to take them seriously because they don't have planks and frames and they aren't like the beautiful, historic admiralty models. But, they are beautiful in their own right and it is easier to get a truly accurate hull shape since the hull shape is what the solid hull is all about - no thoughts to framing, planking and such, just shape of the hull.

Edited by catopower, 17 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hyde Street Pier Model Shipwrights

South Bay Model Shipwrights

Nautical Research Guild

Current Builds: HMS Victory, 1805; USS Saginaw, 1859; Yacht America, 1851

Researching: Japanese Screw Steamer Kanrin Maru, 1855

Recent Builds: Higaki Kaisen, Japanese Edo Period Transport; 18th C. English Longboat; NY Pilot Boat Mary Taylor, 1850; Privateer Lively, 1813;

HMS Fair Rosamond, 1831

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.