Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The First Royal Dutch Yacht Mary by flying_dutchman2 - Mamoli - 1646

Small Dutch Yacht VOC

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

S.Coleman

S.Coleman

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia
Interesting little build you have going on. I don't like that kit supplied rope either. I think I'll change it as well. Good job, looks neat.
  • Marcus Botanicus likes this
Current build: 1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli

Completed builds:
1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli
1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli
1:54 Adventure, Amati
1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL
Awaitng construction:

1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard.

S.Coleman

S.Coleman

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia
I bet the tea would do a nice job, just about as realistic as you can get. It dosnt stain even and goes patchy slightly which I think is realistic.
Current build: 1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli

Completed builds:
1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli
1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli
1:54 Adventure, Amati
1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL
Awaitng construction:

1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard.

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN, USA

I bet the tea would do a nice job, just about as realistic as you can get. It dosnt stain even and goes patchy slightly which I think is realistic.

I used the darkest blackest tea leaves I had. Brewed a very strong cup and dunked the sails in it for about 10 minutes, swirled it around and rinsed under cold water and washed with soap to neutralize the reactions. Tea is full of tannins.

The rope is a joke. I used the .80mm only for the anchors and all the rest of the rope came from the Syren M.C from C. Passaro.

This kit is heavily bashed. Lots of items and where they are placed are not correct. I used some of my Dutch language books of flat bottom boats to compare and the book on the Statenjacht Utrecht. Then there are numerous paintings on the NET from Willem van de Velde and the Elder and they have detailed paintings from VOC ships with Staten and Royal yachts.

Marc
FORMER DISPLAY NAME  "Flying Dutchman2"
Past builds: Several Tjalk's - Dutch flat bottom boats.  HMS Bounty.  Royal Dutch Yacht "Mary" (heavily bashed).
Started cutting out the frames from the Statenjacht 'Utrecht'.
Research, CAD drawings of the The Ships of Abel Tasman"; 1st the yacht 'Heemskerck' & 2nd the fluyt 'Zeehaen'.
In between all this, build a R/C pond yacht "Soling 1".
Member & Secretary of the Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago.
Member & Secretary of the Nautical Research Guild (NRG).

dgbot

dgbot

Captain

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA
You took a C grade kit and turned it into an A grade model. Congrats on a great job.
David B

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 539 posts
Attached File  RDYM585.JPG   267.99KB   0 downloads

Started on the shrouds, I use hemostats the pinch the ropes together around the dead eyes so I can serve them.

Attached File  RDYM586.JPG   229.25KB   0 downloads

Once all the dead eyes are in place, I connect them and use small clamps (weight) to keep the rope taught. Then I adjust the rigging so shrouds are not too slack, the mast is as straight as possible and the dead eyes are even. Once it looks good, I will complete the shrouds.

Attached File  RDYM587.JPG   200.68KB   0 downloads

I use little levels to keep the boat straight. Of course the work table has to be straight as well.

Attached File  RDYM588.JPG   235.37KB   0 downloads

Completed sails with bolt rope, clew lines, blocks, roping, spars and a gaff.
  • mtaylor, tarbrush, hexnut and 2 others like this
Past builds: Several Tjalk's - Dutch flat bottom boats.  HMS Bounty.  Royal Dutch Yacht "Mary" (heavily bashed).
Research, CAD drawings of the The Ships of Abel Tasman"; 1st the yacht 'Heemskerck' & 2nd the fluyt 'Zeehaen'.

dgbot

dgbot

Captain

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

Nice one Marc,  you are wise in using Urecht.  I never trusted Mamloli's plans..  To bad I cannot see it up close.

David B

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 539 posts

Just finished the rigging, turned around and my sleeve from my elbow caught on the flag staff on the jib.... sheered it right off.  Then turn around and do it again and this time I break the top of the mast................... AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH   :angry: :angry:

Calmed down, repaired the jib and looks like new.  The mast is a different story.  I did fix it but that took me an hour or so.  I have to be careful.  But then it is wood and can get fixed all the time.

So I finished all the sails and on the drawing of where the sails are printed on they are an exact match.  Stitch the main sail to the gaff and see if the gaff fits....... not at all.  I look at the sail plan with rigging drawing and the sails are a different dimension.  Compare both sheets of plans.... and boy... it is completely different.  Non of them are the same.  Main sail is off by 2cm in length.  What did the drawing man do?  Is he on meth?  So now I have to improvise.

Like I said before, MAMOLI's plans suck big time.  Nothing on CAD, it is all hand drawn.  Descriptions are a joke. So far this kit has been bashed for about 75% and it increases all the time.  The rigging, and sail plan look very much like the Utrecht.  This is Ok as this did not changed much with a century.

The Mary is from the mid 1600 and the Utrecht from the mid 1700.

I feel all better having discussed my booboo's and frustrations.

Thanks for reading.

Marc

Mirabell61

Mirabell61

Captain

• Members
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationGlinde, state Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
Marc

very nicely built yacht, Looks great, would love to see the sails rigged
Well done !

Nils

dgbot

dgbot

Captain

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

I am glad you were able to fix the booboos.  The last time I snapped a spar it took me a week to repair the damage.

David B

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 539 posts

Marc
very nicely built yacht, Looks great, would love to see the sails rigged
Well done !
Nils

That will happen as I always add sails. If there are no sails the boat looks rather naked.
Marc

I am glad you were able to fix the booboos.  The last time I snapped a spar it took me a week to repair the damage.
David B

Mine just broke off. I put a sheave in the top of the mast to make it look real (like Doc did with his long boat in the club). There was too much wood eliminated so the strength was gone.
Where the sheave was I put a combo of wood putty and CA. Molded it quickly and then wrapped rope. Same idea that I did with the main mast to the flag staff. Drilled a hole in the mast for the topsail. No sheave.

I'll take pictures.

Marc
  • mtaylor likes this

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 539 posts

Attached File  204c-Main mst-sheave.JPG   110.8KB   0 downloads

As I mentioned before, I broke the top of the mast because there wasn't enough wood as I had built a sheave in it.

Attached File  265-Fixed broken mast.JPG   79.32KB   0 downloads
Attached File  266-Fixed broken mast.JPG   57.99KB   0 downloads

The repaired mast. Got rid of the sheave, molded wood putty in the hole and wrapped it with roping. This roping is all along the mast so it doesn't look that awkward.

Attached File  274-Installing ratlines.JPG   142.53KB   0 downloads

I read a long time ago that you can use clear nail polish on the ratlines and I have used it on every ship I've built that had ratlines. The clove hitch doesn't come apart and it is virtually invisible to the eye.

Attached File  278-Rigging.JPG   160.55KB   0 downloads

The rigged heart block.

Attached File  281-Rigging.JPG   224.89KB   0 downloads

Standing rigging is complete.

Attached File  304-Top sail with clew lines.JPG   160.21KB   0 downloads

I finished the topsail with the clew lines and the lines (that I don't have a name for). They are tied as half moon shapes on each side of the top sail.

The directions only show one side on how it integrates with the rigging. I went to the Frisian maritime museum http://www.friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl/ and looked at there ship models as well as there paintings. Also I came upon a model where it clearly shows how it is rigged.

Attached File  999 Boomer helping04.JPG   262.9KB   0 downloads
"This model is ALL mine".

• Salty Sea Dog, tarbrush, hexnut and 1 other like this

dgbot

dgbot

Captain

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

Looking good Marc,  How are you going to prevent a repeat?  That area looks very fragile.

David B

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 539 posts

Looking good Marc,  How are you going to prevent a repeat?  That area looks very fragile.
David B

Thanks, Dave. I am trying to be very careful. So if I need something on my table and it is behind the boat, I need to STOP, Think, Look around, move ship, get item, bring ship forward and work on it.

Marc
  • Salty Sea Dog and dgbot like this

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 539 posts
Attached File  RDYM596.JPG   291.49KB   0 downloads

I am working on the running rigging and attaching the sails to the roping and masts. Adding more rope where needed as I go.

Attached File  RDYM597.JPG   191.57KB   0 downloads

Just a close-up from the standing & running rigging.

Attached File  RDYM598.JPG   251.5KB   0 downloads

I use toothpicks to keep the ropes taught and this is temporary. I tighten here and there so it is just a matter of removing the toothpick, pull the rope a bit and put the toothpick back. I will do this until everything is taught, even and looks good. Then the roping will become permanent.

For dgbot - First picture, lower right corner - I broke off the flagstaff. I'll just wait till I finish the rigging and start on the flags.

Marc
  • Salty Sea Dog, tarbrush, hexnut and 1 other like this

Salty Sea Dog

Salty Sea Dog

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 498 posts
  • LocationColorado
That is looking really cool! Great work Marc!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.