HMB Endeavour by kiwiron - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:54

I have wanted to do this model since seeing the Endeavour models in Gisborne when i was a boy for Cook's 200th anniversary in 1969.They are over a metre long very impressive up on poles.This model will be 815mm long by 300mm wide,should be enjoyable.

post-837-0-21799100-1384463486_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-59694100-1384463497_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-27215200-1384463539_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-08083600-1384463546_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-03668300-1384463565_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-51700800-1384463590_thumb.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Looks like a winner Ron.  Think I'll sign on for the voyage :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Look forward to this Ron. It is great ship but a challenge to plank from what I've seen here. From your work to date I'm sure that won't be a problem for you though. I see from the box the scale is 1:54 - that seems an unusual scale. Do you have the AOTS book for Endeavour? Well worth it I'd suggest and easy to get.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hey Ron, you don't fool around do you!! :D Looks like this will be a very impressive build, I understand Occre 's kits are pretty good.

Don't forget..... Please don't finish this one before I finish mine :P :P . Will be ck'n in !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Welcome to my build log everyone it will be great to have you along and any advice will be appreciated.I hope James and Mr Banks won't be dissapointed with it.I think i'll just follow the kit except for chainplates sounds like aots,replica in Sydney etc have conflicting ideas.

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Everything conflicts with the Endeavour! Mine looks nothing like the AL kit. I think I've replaced or scratch built everything apart from the wood on the deck (which I now regret I did'nt replace) and the bulkheads. As long as you are happy, we will be!

Greg

Hi Ron

Sorry I am back again but re colours.

All I will say is before you do any painting do your research on the colours before you start.

My SOS was blue on the box from Mantua !!!.

But after researching the colour was BLACK, well did I get e-mail after e-mail asking me why did I paint it BLACK.

All I am saying Ron don't go on what the kit says or recommends OK. It is a shame that the kit makers don't do the same research after all we are paying them for accurate replicas of the original ship are we not !!!.

Good luck with your research .

Denis.

Denis.

Hi Ron

Sorry I am back again but re colours.

All I will say is before you do any painting do your research on the colours before you start.

My SOS was blue on the box from Mantua !!!.

But after researching the colour was BLACK, well did I get e-mail after e-mail asking me why did I paint it BLACK.

All I am saying Ron don't go on what the kit says or recommends OK. It is a shame that the kit makers don't do the same research after all we are paying them for accurate replicas of the original ship are we not !!!.

Good luck with your research .

Denis.

Denis.

Hi Denis

I'm intrigued, which part are you saying should be black?

I have researched extensively to try to find out what colour the actual Endeavour was, without luck. I have painted my model of the Endeavour based on what was common practice at the time based on contemporary models made back then but still cannot be sure. The live work of the upper sides could have been black, blue or even blue and red.

Cheers Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Steve

I was not talking about the Endeavour being Black at all , I was talking about Mantua Sovereign of the Seas ( SOS ) that I am building, the box has it being BLUE but it was BLACK.

If you wish more info I will send it to you.

Denis

Hi Denis

Sorry, yeah I see now, I wasn't disputing you, just intrigued how you might have known about Endeavour's colour scheme. Yeah the SOS models I have seen are black.with lots of gold decoration and a red band at the top. Sorry for clogging up your log with this Ron.

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the Endeavour club. I look forward to following your build.

Based on your work on the Supply this should turn out very nice indeed.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Slog thanks i have already looked at your log a dozen times,very nice job.As for colour i like the blue bit and yellowish wood but probably with a white hull.Ok next bit done. I thought i would use the bottom deck temporarily in place to square up the bulkheads,works well.The first bulkhead sits below the rest so you can fit the bottom deck in there flat at the front as in the photo.Do some deck planks next,nice to do decking again.Probably go for 3 or 4 butt shift any ideas on plank length 65mm as per instructions seems a bit short.thanks men.ron.

post-837-0-08709900-1384663231_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-67106000-1384663234_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-87958400-1384663239_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiwiron

Hi Ron,

I'm grabbing a seat, also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Ron

I think 65mm is much too short. The AOTS for Endeavour at 1/96 has them at about 88mm which translates to 150mm, more or less, at 1:54. The rule of thumb is about 26 feet which equals about 145mm at 1:54. Somewhere in that region - 140mm to 150mm is right for your scale. I also reckon a 3 butt shift is better than a 4. The deck layout is actually really complex so given that the deck is a simulation a more intense shift suits better in my opinion. However the short plank lengths are much too intense.

Just my thoughts - looks good and I'll keep up with your build.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Ron,

The Endeavour has such a sturdy looking hull don't you think.

For my planks I used 100mm which at a scale of 1:64 comes out about 21 feet full size.  Yours will obviously be longer being a larger scale.  I think what Alistair and Ken mentions above would be right.

Cheers

Slog 

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks Alistair,Ken and Slog thats great info thanks a lot.No pressure eh Mark i've got experts here watching so i hope i don't stuff it up to much. 

Hi Ron

Looking good so far. Your Occre is basically the same kit as my Eaglemoss.

My two cents worth on the planking - I didn't cut them to 65mm because it looks wrong. I used 160mm planks (the length they were supplied) in a four shift pattern. Below is a photo I later took on the Endeavour replica showing a four shift pattern.

Also, now is a good time to do a modification that also make your model look better, give the decks a camber. If your OcCre is the same as mine then it doesn't have deck camber, but its easy to modify the deck beams to make them curved so that the deck has the correct camber.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-18630500-1384677283_thumb.jpg

4 butt shift, it would be good to line up the treenails with the bulkheads but they are all spaced differantly.

post-837-0-57930700-1384849267_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron

The bulkheads bear no resemblance to the position of the deck beams on the real ship so don't try to line the nails up with them. That lower deck is good for practice because you can't see most of it once the weather decks are on, you can only see whats visible through the hatch openings. Re your question on camber, on mine the centre of the deck is about 2mm higher than the edges at the fore end of the quarterdeck and flattens out a bit as it goes aft.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Hi Ron

The lower deck looks good. I agree with Steve - ignore the bulkheads when nailing. May I also suggest a lighter touch with the caulking and treenails on the upper deck? At the scale you working caulking and nails would be very faint. I use wood paste for the nails and a pencil for the caulking. It is all personal preference of course...

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair