Announcing the Model Ship World Ship Kit Database Project

SkerryAmp

Hello all,

Ever wanted to know what kits are available for 17th Century British Frigates? :huh:

How about what kits are beginner and which kits are advanced? :o

Worried about space and want an easy way to find out what ships are available which are a certain 

lenght or height? :huh:

:D Read on my friends, read on! :D

Since joining Model Ship World, I have continuously been impressed with the quality of its members and the level of help people get with their hobby.  It is incredibly refreshing to find a place where people of all skill levels and interests, from all over the world, can come together in one place and help, encourage and applaud the wonderful works which can be found from its members new and old.

There is one trend I have noticed, with regards to questions and requests for advice, and that is related to the kits themselves.  Questions regarding quality of kits, availability, types, subjects and overall level of difficulty.

We have great resources for that, several articles, build logs etc.;  but I got to thinking it may be helpful to have this information in one place.  Not to replace what is on MSW in its various forms, but to supplement it.

While not an expert modeler by any means yet, I am a code jockey =) and enjoy doing techy codey things (that is a technical term by the way), so I decided to try to put that to use.

This is to announce a project which I am working on and am making available as of tonight.

The Model Ship World Ship Kit Database

What is it?

Well, it is a database of Model Ship Kits.  A central repository for what is available out there along with as much data regarding each kit as I can scrape up.

Secondly, Model Ship World Ship Kit Database is a living project.  This basically means it is intended to grow and expand based on feedback and contribution from the model ship world membership.

What does it do?

Right now, it allows you folks to search for ships.   As of this evening you can search for available ships based on Manufacturer, Scale, Type of Kit, Type of Ship, Period of Ship and the Ships Nation of origin.

You can search for these ships based on one of the above criteria or build out the criteria to get as refined a search as you want.

So, for example, if you want to see all the ships Model Shipways Currently has available – you can do that.

If you want to find all the ship kits which are 19th Century French 1:64th scale Plank on Bulkhead Frigates – you can do that too.

Is that all that it does?

As of this evening, yes it does.  Is that all it will do? No.    I actually have big plans for this and was going to wait to announce it until much more was done.  However it will take a little time to get everything in so I wanted to “release” it in stages.  Mainly to get it out there and let people get some hands on it and start giving me feedback.   

The idea is to make this as useful to the MSW community as possible.  I think it is in a good starting point, but really want to hear from you guys regarding it so I can develop it over time to make it as great as it can be.

I can’t promise all suggestions will make it in, or that they will go in overnight, but this in my mind is for MSW so I look forward to collaboration and the discussions to do as best we can.

Where does it stand right now?

Currently I have identified the following manufacturers for inclusion in the database.  Some have their kits added while others are queued to be completed over the next week or so.

• A.J Fisher: Data not started
  • Artesania Latina: Data started, 80% complete
  • Billings: Data not started
  • Bluejacket Ship Crafters Inc.: Data Complete
  • Caldecraft:Data not started
  • Corel:Data not started
  • Constructo:Data not started
  • Dusek:Data not started
  • Mamonli:Data started, test entries only
  • Mantua Models UK:Data not started
  • Midwest Prouducts:Data Complete
  • Model Shipways:Data Complete
  • OcCre: Data started, test entries only.

You said there was a lot planned so what else is there?

I am so glad you asked :D

Not only is this meant to be a list of what is available but it is also a place where people can come and find out about the ships.   Here is what is on deck....

• More refined filter parameters:
    • Ability to filter on length and height
    • Ability to filter on skill level
  • General Search:  Ability to type part of a kit name and search for all related kits.
  • Data page:   This will be a drill down into the kit including a picture of the kit completed and important details regarding the kit itself. Some of what is currently in the data view will be moved here to make the data view a little less cluttered.
  • Reviews: The ability for those of you who have built some of these kits can review them for others.  The reviews will have scales for the quality of materials, documentation and plans as well as a way to rate the kit for accuracy and skill level.   It is one thing for the manufacturers to say it, it is more meaningful when those who actually have worked with it say it.
  • Links to related build logs.   Just another way for the MSW to find build logs related to their ships or for people to get a preview of what they may be in for.
  • Manufacturer Data Page:  Just a quick data sheet on the company itself, where it is, contact information etc etc.
  • Search launch:  A simple mechanism for people who may have found a ship they are interested in to one click google search for the kit in question.

That is what I have on my list, the best part (as is usually the case) what comes out of the community.

As I mentioned, my hopes is this becomes a think tank project and grows from ideas provided by the MSW Community.

Why announce it with so much more to do?

:10_1_10: Feedback :10_1_10:

Like it, Love it, Hate it I can take it; let me know.  

Whether you like it or not; let me know.   What people like I will continue with and what they don’t I will try to change so that they do,  but I can’t unless I know.

I can promise to take all suggestions and comments under consideration, but can’t promise all will be done.  

I will do my best to address concerns and questions as quickly as possible; after all if you take the time to lend a suggestion I can at least take the time to acknowledge it =)

My only goal is to make this as useful as possible and make it a solid resource for the Model Ship World community.

We can use this thread (I think) as the think tank for this project.   I will post updates to the database as I do them as well as keep a running list of ideas and where I may be at with them.

Where is this database hosted? I see it doesn’t have an MSW domain. :angry:

This is true,

this project is hosted on my own hosting service. 

I have been using them for quite some time and have not had any issues so am fairly confident it will have acceptable uptime for us to use this. 

The ampitcher.com well, ampitcher is me =)  

There is no link behind the scenes to MSW so your MSW information is safe, and this database does not require any sensitive information for you to access it.  If you have any concerns please PM Me I will be glad to address them.

This is however an MSW resource, meaning I am doing this for MSW and the MSW community. 

People from the outside may find it in a search or what not, but all efforts are to grow from within MSW and to drive TO MSW from the outside. =)

Anything we can do right now to help?

Kit companies and information

I have several in there (see list above) but I know there are more.   If you see any companies that are missing please let me know.  Right now I am focused on wood kits, but will be adding in plastic and card shortly.

Likewise, while in the database you will see many entries have blank data.  This is because of one of several things; either I could not find it, couldn’t figure it out or had conflicting information so wasn’t sure what to put.  

IF anyone has any knowledge they can lend me towards those empty slots please PM me with ID (first column) and the information.  I will edit them asap!  And thank you heartily!! =)

Well, I think I rambled on enough.   

Here is the link to the database.  

http://mswshipkits.ampitcher.com/

Take a look, let me know what you think and I want to thank you for your time.  

Updates will be coming so stay tuned!

For now, if we can limit data error information to PM and leave the forum topic for discussion related to the database, new ideas, feedback and updates – it would be appreciated!!

Thank you again, hope you like it and looking forward to creating the best model ship database on the web – with your help I know we can do it!!

As always

ENJOY!! :piratetongueor4:

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Adam

As a newcomer to the hobby this database is invaluable to making decisions as to which kits to investigate before purchasing so well done for taking the time and trouble to put it together. I hope that MSW will embrace the database and allow links to be added to deliver the most comprehensive database for all model lists irrespective of skill level. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Best wishes and thanks

Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Adam,

A good idea. Had look at the database it will prove very useful. I will pull some info together and drop a PM to you when it is ready.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thanks all, glad it is being received so well.

Can you supply measurement data in metric also?

Absolutely! 

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Exceptional idea, Adam - thanky you!  Good to see you have quality interns working with you as well ;)

Yeah, Mr. Friskington is pretty good - and quite busy:  And he is cheap too!   A bit needy,  but cheap!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam - In MSW 1.0 we used to have something very similar to this. I twas a spreadsheet that listed every model on the market and other relevant details. I provided an old copy of that sheet to Chuck, but I am guessing he is pretty busy and it needed some updates. I will send that to you so you can include it here.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I have placed a banner on the right side of the forum and also on the MSW home page...this will ensure easy access moving forward.  Adam has been working very hard on this and it will soon be the go to place to find info about ship kits.   This will replace that spreadsheet Floyd was referencing.  All of us on MSW thanks you..please give Adam any help you can with this if it is at all possible.

Wonderful work Adam   :cheers:

Chuck

Now that's neat thinking. What a great idea. Saves a lot of hassle. Good luck with all that info

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Great job Adam. I will try to help as much as I can.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hello all,

Ever wanted to know what kits are available for 17th Century British Frigates? :huh:

How about what kits are beginner and which kits are advanced? :o

Worried about space and want an easy way to find out what ships are available which are a certain 

lenght or height? :huh:

:D Read on my friends, read on! :D

Since joining Model Ship World, I have continuously been impressed with the quality of its members and the level of help people get with their hobby.  It is incredibly refreshing to find a place where people of all skill levels and interests, from all over the world, can come together in one place and help, encourage and applaud the wonderful works which can be found from its members new and old.

There is one trend I have noticed, with regards to questions and requests for advice, and that is related to the kits themselves.  Questions regarding quality of kits, availability, types, subjects and overall level of difficulty.

We have great resources for that, several articles, build logs etc.;  but I got to thinking it may be helpful to have this information in one place.  Not to replace what is on MSW in its various forms, but to supplement it.

While not an expert modeler by any means yet, I am a code jockey =) and enjoy doing techy codey things (that is a technical term by the way), so I decided to try to put that to use.

This is to announce a project which I am working on and am making available as of tonight.

The Model Ship World Ship Kit Database

What is it?

Well, it is a database of Model Ship Kits.  A central repository for what is available out there along with as much data regarding each kit as I can scrape up.

Secondly, Model Ship World Ship Kit Database is a living project.  This basically means it is intended to grow and expand based on feedback and contribution from the model ship world membership.

What does it do?

Right now, it allows you folks to search for ships.   As of this evening you can search for available ships based on Manufacturer, Scale, Type of Kit, Type of Ship, Period of Ship and the Ships Nation of origin.

You can search for these ships based on one of the above criteria or build out the criteria to get as refined a search as you want.

So, for example, if you want to see all the ships Model Shipways Currently has available – you can do that.

If you want to find all the ship kits which are 19th Century French 1:64th scale Plank on Bulkhead Frigates – you can do that too.

Is that all that it does?

As of this evening, yes it does.  Is that all it will do? No.    I actually have big plans for this and was going to wait to announce it until much more was done.  However it will take a little time to get everything in so I wanted to “release” it in stages.  Mainly to get it out there and let people get some hands on it and start giving me feedback.   

The idea is to make this as useful to the MSW community as possible.  I think it is in a good starting point, but really want to hear from you guys regarding it so I can develop it over time to make it as great as it can be.

I can’t promise all suggestions will make it in, or that they will go in overnight, but this in my mind is for MSW so I look forward to collaboration and the discussions to do as best we can.

Where does it stand right now?

Currently I have identified the following manufacturers for inclusion in the database.  Some have their kits added while others are queued to be completed over the next week or so.

• Artesania Latina: Data started, 80% complete

You said there was a lot planned so what else is there?

I am so glad you asked :D

Not only is this meant to be a list of what is available but it is also a place where people can come and find out about the ships.   Here is what is on deck....

• More refined filter parameters:
    • Ability to filter on length and height
    • Ability to filter on skill level
  • General Search:  Ability to type part of a kit name and search for all related kits.
  • Data page:   This will be a drill down into the kit including a picture of the kit completed and important details regarding the kit itself. Some of what is currently in the data view will be moved here to make the data view a little less cluttered.
  • Reviews: The ability for those of you who have built some of these kits can review them for others.  The reviews will have scales for the quality of materials, documentation and plans as well as a way to rate the kit for accuracy and skill level.   It is one thing for the manufacturers to say it, it is more meaningful when those who actually have worked with it say it.
  • Links to related build logs.   Just another way for the MSW to find build logs related to their ships or for people to get a preview of what they may be in for.
  • Manufacturer Data Page:  Just a quick data sheet on the company itself, where it is, contact information etc etc.
  • Search launch:  A simple mechanism for people who may have found a ship they are interested in to one click google search for the kit in question.

That is what I have on my list, the best part (as is usually the case) what comes out of the community.

As I mentioned, my hopes is this becomes a think tank project and grows from ideas provided by the MSW Community.

Why announce it with so much more to do?

:10_1_10: Feedback :10_1_10:

Like it, Love it, Hate it I can take it; let me know.  

Whether you like it or not; let me know.   What people like I will continue with and what they don’t I will try to change so that they do,  but I can’t unless I know.

I can promise to take all suggestions and comments under consideration, but can’t promise all will be done.  

I will do my best to address concerns and questions as quickly as possible; after all if you take the time to lend a suggestion I can at least take the time to acknowledge it =)

My only goal is to make this as useful as possible and make it a solid resource for the Model Ship World community.

We can use this thread (I think) as the think tank for this project.   I will post updates to the database as I do them as well as keep a running list of ideas and where I may be at with them.

Where is this database hosted? I see it doesn’t have an MSW domain. :angry:

This is true,

this project is hosted on my own hosting service. 

I have been using them for quite some time and have not had any issues so am fairly confident it will have acceptable uptime for us to use this. 

The ampitcher.com well, ampitcher is me =)  

There is no link behind the scenes to MSW so your MSW information is safe, and this database does not require any sensitive information for you to access it.  If you have any concerns please PM Me I will be glad to address them.

This is however an MSW resource, meaning I am doing this for MSW and the MSW community. 

People from the outside may find it in a search or what not, but all efforts are to grow from within MSW and to drive TO MSW from the outside. =)

Anything we can do right now to help?

Kit companies and information

I have several in there (see list above) but I know there are more.   If you see any companies that are missing please let me know.  Right now I am focused on wood kits, but will be adding in plastic and card shortly.

Likewise, while in the database you will see many entries have blank data.  This is because of one of several things; either I could not find it, couldn’t figure it out or had conflicting information so wasn’t sure what to put.  

IF anyone has any knowledge they can lend me towards those empty slots please PM me with ID (first column) and the information.  I will edit them asap!  And thank you heartily!! =)

Well, I think I rambled on enough.   

Here is the link to the database.  

http://mswshipkits.ampitcher.com/

Take a look, let me know what you think and I want to thank you for your time.  

Updates will be coming so stay tuned!

For now, if we can limit data error information to PM and leave the forum topic for discussion related to the database, new ideas, feedback and updates – it would be appreciated!!

Thank you again, hope you like it and looking forward to creating the best model ship database on the web – with your help I know we can do it!!

As always

ENJOY!! :piratetongueor4:

I see you have AJ Fisher as a resourse -I drove by his "factory" in Royal Oak, MI and it was closed -is it located  some  where else

Adam - This is great work! If I can help just sing out!

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

What a fantastic referencing tool. Thank you Adam, a better mousetrap for sure!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Adam - In MSW 1.0 we used to have something very similar to this. I twas a spreadsheet that listed every model on the market and other relevant details. I provided an old copy of that sheet to Chuck, but I am guessing he is pretty busy and it needed some updates. I will send that to you so you can include it here.

That would be fantastic Floyd - thank you!!!

I have placed a banner on the right side of the forum and also on the MSW home page...this will ensure easy access moving forward.  Adam has been working very hard on this and it will soon be the go to place to find info about ship kits.   This will replace that spreadsheet Floyd was referencing.  All of us on MSW thanks you..please give Adam any help you can with this if it is at all possible.

Wonderful work Adam   :cheers:

Chuck

Thanks for the support sir!  Appreciate it!

Too all the others, wow!  Thank you for the support - am glad it is being so well received; even more motivation to make it kick proverbial butt!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam - Do you still need the spreadsheet? I had assumed that Chuck had already shared it with you. I believe he made some updates to the version I have.

This database is very nice and provides great information to help those decide which ships they would like to work on. 

Nice job, and thank you for taking the time to create this for the community!

Edited by CaptCraig

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale

Adam - Do you still need the spreadsheet? I had assumed that Chuck had already shared it with you. I believe he made some updates to the version I have.

If you have it readily handy I would love to go through it.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

This database is very nice and provides great information to help those decide which ships they would like to work on. 

Nice job, and thank you for taking the time to create this for the community!

Thank you sir!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Ahoy Adam :D

I see that "Sterling" is not mentioned

Not sure if they are still in business but I do see their kits sold on EBay every now and then. Sometimes even on this site.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

There is also The Lumberyard, though they are somewhere between kits and timbering sets.  There's a link to their site at the same area of the forum home page, a few banners up from your Database link--you can check out their kit offerings there.

Ron

Thanks all!

Ron:   I plan to include the Timber sets and plan providers, just not sure how to present them quite yet.  They are on my radar though :)   Thank you for mentioning them.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Artesania Latina all entered; just some blanks to be filled. 

• Artesania Latina: Data Complete

Have already received some PMs with more companies,  thank you very much!  Will update them to this list once I get them in the DB and have a source I can farm the data from!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Hello Adam,

Just checked out your database.

What a wonderful project.

Very nice to have all the info together.

I'm sure this will be very succesfull.

Thank you and good luck.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo