Announcing the Model Ship World Ship Kit Database Project

SkerryAmp

Hey all, Still alive! =)

I will be having some more updates to the database VERY soon!   I have a light week this week so have some time to squeeze in some DB and Ship work!

So, just wanted all to know I have not dropped of the edge of the world!  (WOW 400+ updates up there on my post announcements.  I best get cracking)

Happy Modeling all!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 2 weeks later...

Just added what I could find for Aeronaut.   The only thing with this one is that while the titles and VERY basic information is in there, that is about it (oh and a picture).   Their site really didn't have a whole lot about the ships.  I noticed they pop up from several didnt vendors so will do some digging on some related sites to dig up the missing information.  But, at least they are represented now.

Also, updated Mayflower ship types as well as Nina, PInta and Santa Maria thanks to Danny!

Here is the list as of tonight..

• Aeronaut: Data In - however needs fleshing out due to incomplete information from site
  • A.J Fisher: Data not started
  • Amati: Data Not Started
  • Artesania Latina: Data Complete
  • Billings: Data Complete
  • Bluejacket Ship Crafters Inc.: Data Complete
  • Caldercraft:Data not started
  • Constructo:Data Complete
  • Corel:Data not started
  • Dumas: Data not started
  • Dusek:Data not started
  • Euromodel: Data not started
  • Krick: Data not started
  • Graupner: Data not started
  • Mamoli:Data started, test entries only
  • Mantua Models UK:Data not started
  • MarisStella.hr: Data not started
  • Midwest Prouducts:Data Complete
  • Model Shipways:Data Complete
  • New Maquettes: Data not started
  • OcCre: Data started, test entries only.
  • Panart: Data not started
  • Robbe: Data not started
  • Sergal: Data not started
  • Soclaine: Data not started
  • Victory Models: Data not started

The other suggestions have not been forgotten, just not gotten to yet =)

Happy Modeling!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

What you're doing is great!

I certainly don't want to add to your huge backlog of work, but one thought came to mind after spending some time on your site. Would it be very difficult to add a link to build logs on MSW? That way potential builders could not only get an idea of the parameters you provide but gain an insight to the "guts" of the kits.

Best,

Steve

ps. Though I love your site, I'm a bit less than keen on your avatar. Go JETS! S.

Steve, I think that is a fantastic idea!

Not exactly sure how I would do that off the top of my head, but will certainly add that to the wish list and see what can be done =)

Thanks for the suggestion!

(While I am obligated to dislike the jets, I do have to admit that Rex Ryan is fascinating to watch and listen to.  I sometimes can't help but wonder if Rex was the D Coach and you guys had a different Head Coach if you guys may not fair a bit better =).   Of course,  I am looking at the golden years of Brady and Belicheck so - /cry. ;)   ).

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Hi Adam

This is a fantastic resource, with so many manufactures out there. I am sure most people here didnt even know some of them existed!

There is also Modellers Shipyard which produces there own range of kits which you can see here: www.modelshipyard.com.au

If you have any question on their models, I am happy to help.

Cheers.

MC

Edited by ModelersCentral

Thanks MC!

Will add em on =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening All.     Just a quick update (yup, been plugging away at it)

1) Added A.J Fisher KITS to the database. Only problems is I can't snatch the pictures :(  so those kits at the moment are pictureless

2) Will be adding Plans as a seperate list, not sure how to present it at the moment but the information is alittle different so will have it's own table.  

3) Time has been being spent on some backend architecture work in order ot support Build Logs, Reviews and Profiles (So those are in the works). Will talk about those later to get feedback on the "plan".

4) Prototypes made and being tested for the "detail" screen which should be live in short time

5) Added Modelers Shipyard to the list of vendors

6) Back end DB work to normalize the data and apply better design principles to it to make it more reliable and efficient.  That will switch over once all is done.  To you all, it should be invisible - should be ;)

Thanks all for the ideas thus far,  traffic is still good - so good to see people are checking it out.   My many thanks for the patience and understanding in the time frame,  it is muchly appreciated (although am still sorry for being a bit behind updates :( )

Here is the current list of KIT Vendors

• Aeronaut: Data Entered (incomplete due to source data issues  :( )
  • A.J Fisher: KIT Data Complete
  • Amati: Data Not Started
  • Caldercraft:Data not started
  • Dusek: Data Complete
  • Modeller's Shipyard: Data not started

Am beginning to put together a list of PLANS vendors/ sources, please feel free to toss any you know about and I can add them to the list for when that part gets put together.  I know NOTHING About plans, building from plans, shopping for plans etc, so this one I am going to just go by what I am told :D .  I understand that plans can be purchased seperately for kits (You can buy Corel Plans, Model Shipways plans etc).   Do we want to include those in the "plans" list, or only those specifically meant to be scratchbuild plans?   You guys tell me - I am but a humble servant :D .

List of PLANS Vendors

• A.J Fisher: PLAN Data not started

As always folks,  thank you for the interest and will continue to plod along :10_1_10:

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Just saw this and WOW, a LOT of work there.  Thank you.

Only thing missing is a "price" filter.

Anyway I could help you maybe get that in there.  I'm disabled and have plenty of time.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Thanks Pops,  it is a fair amount of work - but as long as it is useful to folks, I don't mind too much.  Just a little slow going sometimes as it is a side project.

A price filter along with some other aspects were on my initial list but I cut them as I wasn't sure how best to do it.   Using the listed prices isn't good as those can change quite a bit and sometimes often.  So i had thought ranges (<100, 100-200, etc etc..)  problem I ran into there was regional conversions, or if those were even necessary.

As far as helping, I am not against help in any form just not sure how to go about it.  This is my own hosting account so has stuff on there for other projects, work etc so I have a personal solo access policy (nothing against anyone just for security reasons). I guess a spreadsheet or something and I can import it,  OR I can make some entry forms available and they can be edited etc.... open to ideas.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam,

Excellent work and I think everyone is happy to see this.   Before actually doing any work on plans.... Hit me or one of the moderators with the places you'll be getting plans as there are some pirate sites (imagine that) that I would hate to see you index and then have to remove.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark,  that was my biggest hesitation on including plans.  Folks have asked so I figured what the heck - but I kind of guessed if there were unsavory folks willing to spend the time to pirate kits,  plans would be easier :(

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Looks good, Adam. As to plans, are you able to index other site search engines? For example, the NMM for primary source plans in the UK (hundreds of plans - thousands of sheets). Others are tougher - Smithsonian is great but no list - need to buy the catalogues. Also have the Mystic Seaport Museum, Lenthall collection in Pennsylvania (PDF catalogue), then several other libraries and museums, before we start with the commercial entities not affiliated with kit manufacturers (sellers of MacGregor, Underhill, and other 20th century draftsmen, for example, not to mention Maryland Silver Company, Taubmann's, and many more).

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Added A.J Fisher KITS to the database. Only problems is I can't snatch the pictures :(  so those kits at the moment are pictureless

I had no problem copying and saving a pic of the "Lark" from their Gallery. Maybe just a temporary glitch on your end ?

EDIT - Apparently you can't copy the pics attached to their Kits (some of them are pretty crappy pics anyway). Try the Gallery - there are four good pics in there. Or do a Print Screen and edit it.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Looks good, Adam. As to plans, are you able to index other site search engines? For example, the NMM for primary source plans in the UK (hundreds of plans - thousands of sheets). Others are tougher - Smithsonian is great but no list - need to buy the catalogues. Also have the Mystic Seaport Museum, Lenthall collection in Pennsylvania (PDF catalogue), then several other libraries and museums, before we start with the commercial entities not affiliated with kit manufacturers (sellers of MacGregor, Underhill, and other 20th century draftsmen, for example, not to mention Maryland Silver Company, Taubmann's, and many more).

Thanks Wayne,  I think you are reinforcing my belief I need to think a bit more on the Plans idea, between pirates and it is very uncharted water for (no pun intended) and there seems to be a LOT  I will have to mull it over a bit more before implementing.

I had no problem copying and saving a pic of the "Lark" from their Gallery. Maybe just a temporary glitch on your end ?

EDIT - Apparently you can't copy the pics attached to their Kits (some of them are pretty crappy pics anyway). Try the Gallery - there are four good pics in there. Or do a Print Screen and edit it.

:cheers:  Danny

Thanks Danny,  I will poke through the gallery and see what I can pull out

Brian,  love the additions.  will get them in when I get around to my next round of updates, thank you!

Pops,  will figure out how to work it as we have been talking about and will get back to you!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cap'n!  Firstly - Thank you!  It is a fair amount of work and I don't get to it as much or as fast as I like due to several projects and commitments going on,  but it is coming along!  So appreciate the good word.

Secondly - Not in any way that I know of.  The project is being done somewhat independent of MSW yet intended solely for FOR MSW as a way to participate and give something to the efforts of such a wonderful modeling resource - being new to the hobby I am low on information to bring so I bring other skills and talents :)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Is there any reason that Caldercraft kits are not included in the database?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any reason that Caldercraft kits are not included in the database?

Just haven't got to them yet.  They will be included.

And to that!

We have updated data for Dusek And Caldercraft added to the list.   HUGE thanks to Pops who has been scraping data for me to import into the system.  HUGE help and much appreciated.  

I have been working on some tools on the backend to make some things easier.

One addition that will be coming shortly is a price range.  Not 100% sure how that will be implemented yet, most likely a range so as not to locked into specific data that may change.  The idea is to help people again look for ideas and is not meant to be a taken as a promise of price..   that will be made clear once that data goes in.

Also just about done wrapping up the page for the kit information.  At which point will move some data from the front list and leave it to the detailed information page.

All on the way as well as more kit information. 

According to the stats folks are still using it and looking at it, so that is fantastic!   And again as always thank you for your patience =)

Current list of data and status

• Amati:Data started
  • Caldercraft:Data Complete

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Sweet work, Adam.  This database is really growing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet work, Adam.  This database is really growing.

Thanks Mark,  it is indeed - slowly but surely.  Pops has been a big help in getting data in so that has made things a bit quicker =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Just a quick update for tonight,   I went through and put the OcCre information in, so another vendor is in the DB!!

Current list of logged kits as of today.

• Amati:Data started
  • Caldercraft:Data Complete
  • OcCre: Data Complete

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 1 month later...

Adam,

Someone said "no good deed goes unpunished". As you compile all this information, I think you will be taking on a degree of responsibility if you make a mistake. Some folks may buy a kit based on the information you provide, and if its wrong... Further, why go through all that trouble duplicating the information supplied by the manufacturer? Why not just prepare a simply list of all the manufactures of which you are aware, a general description of the type of kits they offer, and web address? Manufacturers pay for web sites that provide all the information you would be compiling, so why bother? Let them market their own stuff. I think your idea is good if kept very simple. Beyond that, you are just duplicating the manufacturer's effort and you could be exposed to some responsibility if you mistakenly misrepresent a product. Just sayin'.

wq3296

Hopefully some constructive criticism but I think you need to check the kit difficulty for the Caldercraft series.

You have ballahoo down as an intermediate and yet Snake as a beginner. Havent really checked the other kits as I have no experience with them but probably worth having a look when you have a moment.

Cheers!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Adam

What a great project. But from all the suggestions that keep coming in there may be no end in sight to completion. May be this will be an infinitely ongoing project. Thanks for your great contribution to the MSW. :D :D :D

Thank you very much!  You are correct that this most likely will be an ongoing project. Partly due to the great ideas I keep getting, as well as the amount of material  AND my less than regular updates.  But, keeping it as a side project is keeping it interesting and low stress so I will continue it as long as folks are using it =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam,

Someone said "no good deed goes unpunished". As you compile all this information, I think you will be taking on a degree of responsibility if you make a mistake. Some folks may buy a kit based on the information you provide, and if its wrong... Further, why go through all that trouble duplicating the information supplied by the manufacturer? Why not just prepare a simply list of all the manufactures of which you are aware, a general description of the type of kits they offer, and web address? Manufacturers pay for web sites that provide all the information you would be compiling, so why bother? Let them market their own stuff. I think your idea is good if kept very simple. Beyond that, you are just duplicating the manufacturer's effort and you could be exposed to some responsibility if you mistakenly misrepresent a product. Just sayin'.

wq3296

You are correct that no good deed goes unpunished.  However I am not overly concerned with it as the information is just that information and guidance only.  There will be no purchase ability or links to buying the ships so if anyone does purchase one they will have to go find it. This is simply to let folks know what is out there and is directly in response to the several questions I have seen regarding availability of certain types of ships.  It may not be a bad idea to put a quick disclaimer on it though JUST in case :)

As for simple vs complex listings.  The other half of the motivation for this project is to continue to use programming skills that I either don't use often or are trying to learn.  So it is a win win - info for the club and practice for me :) .   

And while it is true I am just reproducing the info from the manufacturer (in fact literally that is what I am doing), it is aggregated into one location.  Again, many of users have an idea of what they would like to build but no real idea if it exists.  Some, especially new builders, aren't aware of the variety of manufacturers out there.  So it is a compendium of kits to give a resource to MSW that others don't have or do not have to this extent.   Future additions will include links to the build logs from the kits (once I finish my mad scientist experiment of scraping the site for build log links).  This way anyone coming to the list from outside the site will have an in TO the site and maybe drive some traffic to this terrific resource.   Additionally, MSW will soon be able to give their own reviews of the kits they have built giving even more information to the inquisitive ship builder.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam,  A terrific idea.  Maybe especially for people (like me) who think "code' Is pig Latin or quantum entanglement, but who knows what that is(?)

Thanks Fred,  Code is indeed a strange language if you are not used to it - I have been coding in one way or another since a kid and my dad brought home an old HoneyWell/Bull dumb terminal hooked to his mainframe at work.  Been at this a while - just trying to learn new languages and technologies (keeping up can be a chore)

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds