Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Intricate details of insects

insects plants

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Q A's Revenge

Q A's Revenge
  • Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDorset, UK

Q A's Revenge,

What kind of camera are you using ?
And I think you are using a tele macro lens ?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Quite an old one now, a Pentax K5 with a Tamron 90mm Macro lens.

KeithW

KeithW
  • Members
  • 864 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
Here are a few more of mine.

original.jpg

Close up shot to show pollen sticking to feet. This was taken years ago, when I was still toting a Canon 20D. I had to crank up the ISO to 400 to get any background in. My new DSLR (Canon 5D Mk.3) can handle ISO 400 with aplomb, but the old DSLR shows obvious grain:

original.jpg

Another picture of the same insect in flight. It is not easy to get a picture of a flying insect, and you would think I had an enormous amount of luck or skill ... but in reality the common name of this insect is hoverfly. They stand still in the air for a couple of seconds, and if you are lucky you can fire off a couple of shots in that time. You still have to be quick though!

original.jpg
  • Anja, Sjors, Per and 4 others like this
Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways
post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Hmmm!  Fly insects sort of makes flying birds look like a piece of cake! :)

John

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN, USA

I should have titled this thread: "Intricate details of small organisms" because we have both amphibians and arachnids besides the original title (Insects).

Don't get me wrong, I like close ups from lots of wild life, but I will always prefer insects.

That was my 2 cents.

Marc

Fairing the frames Statenjacht 'Utrecht'.
Heavily bashed The First Royal Dutch Yacht Mary.
Research, CAD drawings of the The Ships of Abel Tasman; the yacht 'Heemskerck' The Ships of Abel Tasman.

Future: 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships; Boyer, Galliot, Kaag, & Pink (1:48) 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships.+
Soling 1 mtr. RC.  Sail boat).
ABN/AMRO Volvo 70 Sailboat and will make it RC.
Dutch Retour ship kits created by Hans (member MSW)

Member & Secretary of the Nautical Research Guild
Member & Secretary of the Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

avsjerome2003

avsjerome2003
  • Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationJerome, Idaho, U.S.A.

orchid-manis.jpg?ve=1

The orchid mantis resembles a flower to lure insect prey. This mantis lives in the rain forest of Southeastern Asia in Malaysia.

Photo by Facebook

Montani semper liberi  Happy modeling to all.

Crackers ;) :)

• Marcus Botanicus likes this

avsjerome2003

avsjerome2003
  • Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationJerome, Idaho, U.S.A.

2834629229_86d5d7aff8.jpg

Head of a praying mantis.

Photo from Flickr

Montani semper liberi   Happy modeling to all of you.

Crackers     ;) :)

• robin b and CaptainSteve like this

robin b

robin b
  • Members
  • 736 posts
  • LocationBlack Dog Studios.West Emlett Black Dog . Crediton Devon UK
Wonderfull photos of amasing creaturs, much enjoyeded seeing them .robin b
  • avsjerome2003 and Marcus Botanicus like this

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts

Because Insects are my favorite organism, here are some Facts about them, not to gross you out but to educate you.  Western society tells us it is disgusting to eat insects.  But it is OK to eat shellfish. Shellfish and insects are under the same Phylum; Arthropoda.  I ask this question all the time to people who dislike insects but love lobster (I tend to annoy people with this question all the time). 

Insects in all their forms provide essential protein for about 2 billion people around the world.

One serving of caterpillar has MORE protein that a serving of beef.

Most insects are vegetarian.  Unlike the meat we eat which is filed with GMO's and antibiotics.

You never hear on the news that 10, 000lbs of insect meat has to be pulled off the shelf because of Salmonella.

Benefits of Eating Insects

The benefits of consuming insects are multifold, starting with the fact that they're good for you. Consider the following: 100 grams of crickets contains 121 calories. Only 49.5 calories come from fat. Where you really see the nutritional value is in the 12.9 grams of protein and 75.8 milligrams of iron. They also have about 5 grams of carbohydrates.

If you're watching your figure and want to cut down on the carbs, go with a silk worm pupae or a nice steaming bowl of termites. Neither of these has any carbohydrates, and they're both great sources of protein and calories. But if it's protein you seek, look no further than the caterpillar. These little fellows pack a walloping 28 grams of protein per 100 grams. They're also loaded with iron, thiamine and niacin. You may know those last two by their more common names -- vitamins B1 and B3.

Paragraph quoted from National Geographic and from my "How to cook with Insects".

ROME -- The latest weapon in the U.N.'s fight against hunger, global warming and pollution might be flying by you right now.

Edible insects are being promoted as a low-fat, high-protein food for people, pets and livestock. According to the U.N., they come with appetizing side benefits: Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and livestock pollution, creating jobs in developing countries and feeding the millions of hungry people in the world.

Some edible insect information in bite-sized form:

WHO EATS INSECTS NOW?

Two billion people do, largely in Asia, Africa and Latin America, the Rome-based U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization said Monday as it issued a report exploring edible insect potential.

Some insects may already be in your food (and this is no fly-in-my-soup joke). Demand for natural food coloring as opposed to artificial dyes is increasing, the agency's experts say. A red coloring produced from the cochineal, a scaled insect often exported from Peru, already puts the hue in a trendy Italian aperitif and an internationally popular brand of strawberry yogurt. Many pharmaceutical companies also use colorings from insects in their pills.

PACKED WITH PROTEIN, FULL OF FIBER

Scientists who have studied the nutritional value of edible insects have found that red ants, small grasshoppers and some water beetles pack (gram-per-gram or ounce-per-ounce) enough protein to rank with lean ground beef while having less fat per gram.

Bored with bran as a source of fiber in your diet? Edible insects can oblige, and they also contain useful minerals such as iron, magnesium, phosphorous, selenium and zinc.

WHICH TO CHOOSE?

Beetles and caterpillars are the most common meals among the more than 1,900 edible insect species that people eat. Other popular insect foods are bees, wasps, ants, grasshoppers, locusts and crickets. Less popular are termites and flies, according to U.N. data.

ECO-FRIENDLY

Insects on average can convert 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) of feed into 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of edible meat. In comparison, cattle require 8 kilograms (17.6 pounds) of feed to produce a kilogram of meat. Most insects raised for food are likely to produce fewer environmentally harmful greenhouse gases than livestock, the U.N. agency says.

DON'T SWAT THE INCOME

Edible insects are a money-maker. In Africa, four big water bottles filled with grasshoppers can fetch a gatherer 15 euros ($20). Some caterpillars in southern Africa and weaver ant eggs in Southeast Asia are considered delicacies and command high prices.

Insect-farms tend to be small, serving niche markets like fish bait businesses. But since insects thrive across a wide range of locations -- from deserts to mountains -- and are highly adaptable, experts see big potential for the insect farming industry, especially those farming insects for animal feed. Most edible insects are now gathered in forests.

LET A BUG DO YOUR RECYLING

A 3 million euro ($4 million) European Union-funded research project is studying the common housefly to see if a lot of flies can help recycle animal waste by essentially eating it while helping to produce feed for animals such as chickens. Right now farmers can only use so much manure as fertilizer and many often pay handsome sums for someone to cart away animal waste and burn it.

A South African fly factory that rears the insects en masse to transform blood, guts, manure and discarded food into animal feed has won a $100,000 U.N.-backed innovation prize.

Details about the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization's work on edible insects at www.fao.org/forestry/edibleinsects

• Piet likes this
Research, CAD drawings of the The Ships of Abel Tasman; the yacht 'Heemskerck' The Ships of Abel Tasman.

Future: 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships; Boyer, Galliot, Kaag, & Pink (1:48) 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships.+

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts

Turning to another subject matter, I wonder if Australia has the severe problem of bee colony collapse. This is where worker bees abruptly disappear, causing a severe crisis that threatens the health of honeybees and the stability of commercial beekeeping and pollination.

As yet, no answer has been determined. Different theories have been proposed, including viruses attached to bee mites, predators, pollution, or pesticides. European beekeepers report the same conditions.

Entomologists and apiculturists (Beekeepers) have it down to the following.  Varroa mites, a virus-transmitting parasite of honey bees, have frequently been found in hives hit by CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder).  Lots of research money is going into this subject by the US Department of Ag and lots of big chemical companies.  People need to be more aware of this as this is critical to our food supply. 

Many people think of bees simply as a summertime nuisance. But these small and hard-working insects actually make it possible for many of your favorite foods to reach your table. From apples to almonds to the pumpkin in our pumpkin pies, we have bees to thank. Now, a condition known as Colony Collapse disorder is causing bee populations to plummet, which means these foods are also at risk. In the United States alone, more than 25 percent of the managed honey bee population has disappeared since 1990.

1-Bees are one of a myriad of other animals, including birds, bats, beetles, and butterflies, called pollinators. Cross-pollination helps at least 30 percent of the world’s crops and  90 percent of our wild plants to thrive.

2-Without bees to spread seeds, many plants—including food crops—would die off.

There is a person at my work that supplies home-owners with a bee hive.  I have the property size and plenty of nectar flowers.  I'm thinking of doing this in the coming year.  Boy, I would have several personal pollinators for my orchard.

Marc

• avsjerome2003 likes this

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts

More insect pictures.

The first 3 were taken in my backyard in the US.

The last three were taken in the mid 80's in Trinidad, West Indies with a Pentax K2, 100 mm macro in the early morning hours, natural light, in the garden.

Male-Rhino beetle-Trinidad-WI

Hisperidae on soil-Trinidad-WI

Katydid on geranium leaf - Pentax K2, 100 mm macro bellows lens on a bellows with a ring flash ASA 64

Mating Antler Beetles -  Pentax K2, 100 mm macro

Skipper on mint flower. Digital

Longhorn beetle- (about 3 inches long)  Trinidad-WI -  Pentax K2, 100 mm mac

Marc

Attached Thumbnails

• 26-Male-Rhino beetle-Trinidad-WI.jpg
  • 25-Hisperidae on soil-Trinidad-WI.JPG
  • 23-Katydid on geranium leaf.jpg
  • 24-Mating Antler Beetles.JPG
  • 22-Skipper on mint flower_resize.JPG
  • 27-Longhorn beetle-Trinidad-WI.jpg

Per

Per
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSweden

This guy, John Hallmen, lives not far from me and is one of the best insect photographers I have ever seen.

He does most of his hunting in his own back yard, in early mornings when the prey is still stiff from cold.

He sometimes uses over 100 exposures, stacked in the computer, to get one photo that is sharp all over.

http://www.flickr.co...ith/8538946297/

Per

• Anja, avsjerome2003, Piet and 1 other like this

robin b

robin b
  • Members
  • 736 posts
  • LocationBlack Dog Studios.West Emlett Black Dog . Crediton Devon UK
Tut Tut as a very long time Vegitaireain I just enjoy the creaturs for what they are , ammasing ,all ways fastanaiting. robin b

Piet

Piet
  • Members
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Florida, USA

Hello Marc,

Thanks for a very informative post, appreciate it.  This also reminded me of the time when I was a "guest" of the Emperor of Japan (POW).  I was in a concentration camp in Central Java, in the former Netherlands East Indies, and just before the rainy season (monsoon) there came swarms of flying termites, called laron in the Malay language.  They are big!  I used to gather them by the hundreds, pulled their wings off and fried them in a small tin can.  Tasted just like beacon bits.

There were also huge palm beetles that received a similar fate.  No one else would eat these critters, even though many were starving, the civilized European mindset, I guess.

Here is one that is rather disgusting, The Japs did not give us any medicine and when you got a tropical ulcer we put maggots in the wound and wrap a piece of cloth around it.  They ate the pus and cleaned the wound but the side benefit was - - - protean.

Whenever we got rice there were also many small black dots in it.  Hmmmm, yup, those black spots were the heads of bugs.  Hey, you either eat the rice, bugs and all, or starve.

It got so that whatever moved could be a snack.

If you were strong enough you could bit for outside work detail and if the guards were not looking sneak off and hunt for eatables, animal, fruit and greens.  Hiding the stuff was the trick!  If the guards saw your "treasures" they would beat you and take your stuff.  Well, it was worth the risk.

Maybe that's why my immune system had a boost and recovered from a deadly disease that put me into a three day coma.  And here I am still able to tell the tale :)   Bugs are healthy.

Cheers,

• mtaylor, davyboy, Per and 5 others like this

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

CURRENT BUILD: VOC ship, 1665, 1:80, own design

Hr. Ms. O 19, 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50. Submarine Royal Navy, Netherlands

PAST BUILD:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smak, Midwest Products Co., Inc. Kit. Length 15 

"Self design of a Friendship sloop,

"Golden Hind," solid hull model,

"Cutty Sark," by Revell.

PLANNED BUILD: VOC Jacht in a lamp

FUTURE BUILDS: KPM ship "Musi" 

Zuiderzee fishing Botter

​                              Dutch cruiser Hr. MS. "Java," 1925 - 1942

Piet

Piet
  • Members
  • 1,825 posts

Hello all,

On a much happier note, here are a few "bugs" in our yard.

"oliander" moth depositing her eggs on oliander.jpg

The offspring of this critter become rather large hairy orange caterpillars.  They are poisonous because the oleander bush is poisonous.  They can denude an entire section of oleander plantings.

spider on lily pad in my pond 2.JPG

This is a rather large spider that lived in my koi pond.  It dives underwater when threatened but the fish don't bother it. 

Spider inside screen room, enlarged.png

I cal this spider "tail-light Charley."  It too lived inside my screen room in back of our house'

wasp sucking nectar from bottle brush, enlarged.jpg

Here is a beautiful wasp like critter with its head buried inside our Bottlebrush shrub in de front yard.  It was more interested in the nectar then me.  A few humming birds also come to feed on our Bottlebrush plants.

Cheers,

• mtaylor, davyboy, avsjerome2003 and 2 others like this

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

PAST BUILD:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smak, Midwest Products Co., Inc. Kit. Length 15 

"Cutty Sark," by Revell.

Zuiderzee fishing Botter

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts

Hello Marc,

This also reminded me of the time when I was a "guest" of the Emperor of Japan (POW).  I was in a concentration camp in Central Java, in the former Netherlands East Indies,

Cheers,

Piet;

That makes you one of the oldest members here at MSW.  I am assuming this was in the 1940's?

On another note, you like rond and platbodems.  Ever heard of this site? http://www.ssrp.nl/   Stichting Stamboek Ronde en Platbodemjachten.  It is a wonderfull and informative site.  It is in Dutch and it talks about all the different types of platbodems.

Marc

Edited by flying_dutchman2, 04 December 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Piet

Piet
  • Members
  • 1,825 posts

Hoi Marc,

Yes, my time as a "guest" with the Jap Imperial Army was indeed from 1942 till August 1945.  Unbeknown to most is that in 1943 the Jap High Command in Tokyo issued an order that all internees are to be considered combatants and placed under the care of the Kempeitai, the Japanese equivalent of the Gestapo.  The Gestapo were pussiecats compared with the Kempeitai though.  That means that all internees came under military law and procedures.  Thus, all men, women and children were now in effect POW's.  I was 8 years old in 1942 and 12 when we were liberated.  Thanks to the two atom bombs we survived.  Another thing most don't know is that the Jap High Command issued an order in 1945 to exterminate all POW's in September 1945.  Yes, I have a copy of that order.

So, my age was deceiving, I'll be 80 next year April 15, hurray :) 

Thanks for the URL, I love those boats.  I have the lines of a few of them, boeiers, hoekers, schokkers and aak.  They are beautiful boats.  Love to make a large model of a boeier, someday :) 

• avsjerome2003, Marcus Botanicus and *Hans* like this

"Cutty Sark," by Revell.

Zuiderzee fishing Botter

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts

Here are a few more of mine.

Close up shot to show pollen sticking to feet. This was taken years ago, when I was still toting a Canon 20D. I had to crank up the ISO to 400 to get any background in. My new DSLR (Canon 5D Mk.3) can handle ISO 400 with aplomb, but the old DSLR shows obvious grain:

Another picture of the same insect in flight. It is not easy to get a picture of a flying insect, and you would think I had an enormous amount of luck or skill ... but in reality the common name of this insect is hoverfly. They stand still in the air for a couple of seconds, and if you are lucky you can fire off a couple of shots in that time. You still have to be quick though!

These are too good to be true.  Love the detailed veins of the wings, so crisp and clear.

Wonderful.

Thanks, Marc

• KeithW likes this

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts

The following were taken in grad school in 1988 with a Scanning Electron Microscope.  This SEM was very old and everything was done manually, prep the sample with liquid gold and Argon gas and then put in the SEM.  The good thing was that no one else ever used it so I had it all to myself. Unlike nowadays you prep the sample and can take color pictures.

The Pine tortoise scale was part of my MSc thesis.

The first picture is from an immature pine tortoise scale insects.  They are 1mm in life size.  This picture is blown up at 300X

The second picture is blown up at 350X

These pictures represent the proboscis (the part of the mouth) that sticks in the plant vein (phloem) to suck out all the nutrients.

The third picture is of a caterpillar egg.  You can make out the top area which is the part the immature chews to hatch and in the lower left you see the somewhat oval area which is where the egg is attached to something.

Attached Thumbnails

• PTS-Female-1988-03.JPG
  • PTS-07.JPG
  • Catarpillar -egg.JPG

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 775 posts
Immature insects I took the other day.

Immature Boxelder bugs on native milkweed seed heads.
boxelder.jpg

Monarch caterpillar also on milkweed.
Monarch caterpillar3.JPG

Way in the backyard I have various native food plants for insects.
  • dgbot and avsjerome2003 like this

*Hans*

*Hans*
  • Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationDordrecht, Netherlands

Both plants and insects are my favorite organisms and have been interested in both of them starting at the age of 5 when I lived in the tropics.  Through out the years and countries I collected many insects and in the 70's started producing slides (ASA 25 and 64=very little grain). Couple of years back switched over to digital.  Furthermore, my grad degree is in the field of plant physiology, soil chemistry and insect physiology.

So here are some insect shots.

1- Damsel fly on Hydrangea quercifolia (Oakleaf hydr.)

2- Aphids on milkweed plant.

3- Caterpillar (I think a hawk moth and 4 in. long) on Virginia pine.

4- Lady beetle eating aphids (this shot was taken under a dissecting microscope).

5- Painted lady on Aster d.

6- Pandora sphinx moth (Eumorpha pandorus).

7- Praying mantis on Canna flower.

Marc

I like the praying mantis picture:  "hey, did I give you permission to make a photo???

• Marcus Botanicus likes this

Hans   

Current build: Dordrecht 1618 - VOC Retourschip  (no build log), Trireme - scratch build ancient Greek warship

Finished: VOC Retourschip Batavia   

To be released this summer: Wooden model kit VOC Retourschip Batavia 1628 www.kolderstok.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.