Anyone using the new composites in wood and lumber?

The stuff is very durable, Looks good on my back patio deck.

What is this 'composite' you are referring to? There are so many, and I would think that in your part of the country you would not be concerned.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Do you mean Trex ? The composites they use on decks ?

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Be careful with these.  You might have one that could work but here is a short and incomplete list of my concerns:

anti bug chemicals, most are toxic to humans

plactic impregnation so you may not know its type or best glues to use.  Industrial and construction glues are recommended but these are not designed  for the fine work we do on models.

glues used in the manufacturing of the stuff.  For example, formaldihyde and urathane glues are toxic to us, as are expoxies and resins.

Thus, sanding and cutting this material would be hazardous.  These materials are designed to withstand the harsh elements mother nature throws at us.

Stay safe and have fun.

Duff

Yes, there are warnings about burning the materials and toxic releases. But the same as plastics.   I was just wondering about the material. 

Every morning after  I wake up-up, and look into the mirror, and ask: "What do I have to give up eating or doing today"

• 3 years later...

Pardon my timely post on this old topic:

The leading source for these engineered wood products is USDA Forest Products Laboratories. A free detailed downloadable book is available at: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/several_pubs.php?grouping_id=100&header_id=p

I suggest downloading it if have any questions regarding wood and engineered wood and related products i.e. adhesives.

Majority of these new products are aimed at the construction industry and you have likely seen them in new home and apartment construction. As with any engineered materials there are advantages and disadvantages depending on application. The FPL book will guide you through each topic promoting reader understanding.

One item which I found very interesting for ultralight wing spars is GLULAM (glue laminated wood) if properly done can increase strength by 25% without any weight penalty.

Geek1945

Radar/Computers since 1965

• 3 years later...

One of the best purposes for modern composites is jigs, fixtures, and shop built machines. Some Trex type flooring, not Trex brand though, which is kinda meh, is so slippery that it works for linear bearings. The outdoor decking products are mostly polyethylene, so no way to glue them. None of the plastic lumber types have stiffness values anywhere near wood, which is why they're so flexible. PVC lumber can be bent into very tight curves. It glues with PVC plumbing cement. PVC plumbing pipe for that matter is great for making all kinds of parts. It can be heat flattened and machined with normal woodworking tools. It's available for free everywhere as trash. For interior flooring, many products are available that have woodworking application. Cali Bamboo flooring, a resin impregnated bamboo product, is so hard and dense that it can substitute for metal parts in certain machine applications such as pulley sheaves, much like lignum vitae was used historically. Wherever precise flatness or thickness, dimensional stability, hardness, wear resistance, machinability, glue resistance etc. are involved, modern materials excel. But as a substitute for solid wood I don't think much of them.