15th Century Latin Caravel by Vivian Galad - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1/50

Doris, coming from you, I´m really honored. As I said, you inspired me to do things a bit differently already and on my next ship I won´t miss the opportunity of furnituring my cabins and so on, as much as the kit allows. Ty =*

Raymond, I look at the every time, just open the boxes and pick a look inside, feel the wood, observe the sails, read the instructions on and on. Scratchbuilding is a next step for me, just now, I´ll keep modifying kits ^^

Now, for my sails. Have begun on fore mast but should be going for the main mast. Well, at least I did not put the mizzen and the fore mast before the main...

Fist 4 pics are from early stages, the rest from the sail rigged and ready.

post-8919-0-93140200-1391048183_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-48705000-1391048189_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-02218600-1391048195_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-47837900-1391048200_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-26271800-1391048211_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-74225700-1391048216_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-18452700-1391048222_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-54897500-1391048227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vivian Galad

Vivian, getting caught up here. WOW! I am with the others, great job. I REALLY like the "on deck" pictures. I see those pictures on other builds and think I need to buy a little point and shoot, my SLR is just to big and clunky to get those kind of shots. 

May I put my vote in for the Red Dragon as your next build also? A unique build for a unique builder.

When you get your saw, before you use it there is a topic in the tools forum on saw safety, if you have never used a circular saw before, may I strongly nudge you to read that post? You have talented fingers and none of us want to hear about you doing the "Owie Dance!"

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Jerome (well, ppl call you crackers, but since I called u from the first time by your city, I´ll keep doing that :P ) - I´ll keep the photos coming, well, at least when I go outside to buy more string. Just ended those who came with the kit yesterday. Ty!

Nigel, I´m hooked as a fish in there!! When I get to my ship its the best moment I have. Thanks ^^

Sam, I´ll read it carefully, since my experience with circular saws are from my time in university, some 10 years ago. I want to have all my fingers on till the day I die, lol. As for my build, I´m already studying the Red Dragon. One change I´ll do is about the doors and windows on deck, cause I want to have a cabin of sorts, furnitured and all (as chinese as my research can lead me) and the doors and windows need to let light on it - The door will be a chalenge at this scale, since I want it to be left open - and that´s all Doris´ fault, cause now I need to have cabins and furniture in my ships :P

The door will be a chalenge at this scale, since I want it to be left open - and that´s all Doris´ fault, cause now I need to have cabins and furniture in my ships :P

Dont you love it when some other builder pushes you down "The Rabbit Hole"?

Dont forget eating utensils, A captain and his crew need to eat. And the Rabbit Hole gets deeper...... :P

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Gee Vivian, I doubt anyone here ever put the mizzen in place of the fore mast :rolleyes:.  Ok, so I once stepped my masts all the wrong direction. :P 

Very impressive of an interesting topic.  Almost makes me feel the need to get off my duff and get my Roman Grain ship project moving.  BTW, be careful on getting to involved with your other kits too early whilst in another build, for they can become very addictive and will require or more and more attention, then you end up like some of us with a half dozen or so in-progress projects all screaming for equal time to be worked on.  It starts with a fondle here, a sniff there, and woof, your truing a keel and setting bulkheads.  Gad, it makes this hobby fun doesn't it?

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Sam, that´s true. And it´s not only Doris, since now I want to do some POF scratcbuilds and be always evolving! And I´ll get some utensils, if not a brick in mortar stove with some trully cute pots in it, lol!!!!

Scott, have been hard to hold my hands off the other kits. As I wait to finish my caravel, it´s almost impossible not to dream with the next builds. But, one step at a time. Won´t get ahead of me. Breath, Vivian, breath and patience!!!

Uh-oh... the ship bug HAS bit you hard.  Beware, Vivian.  The darkside beckons.  post-76-0-49489800-1391230354.gif and that means more tools, more workspace... and more fun!!!! post-76-0-97808100-1391230439.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Vivian,

I have just started from the beginning and read all through your log. Very very nice looking ship ! Well Done !! I have never built something from this period, but now seeing your wonderful looking model, I am rather interested ! I really love the finish you achieved as well. Another thing that I have really enjoyed with your log is the way you approach the project and the joy it brings you that you have so beautifully shared here. Thank you.

-Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

Excellent !!work Vivian

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hola Mija,

You must be strong and dominate your urges to start on the other models. Finish the Caravel first and give it all the respect it deserves. Once you start on the Red Dragon, you can look at my Vietnamese Junk for any ideas you may want to incorporate into your model. I look forward to seeing your completed models.

Ollie, thanks. As I said, have the best teachers just in here. ^^

Mark, bought something more today, just one tool, and needles. Slowly my set of tools are increasing. I´m on the darkside.

Joe, I´m very happy u had all the trouble in reading my log through. I´m but a newbie with a love for the hobby, and for medieval ships in general - although all ships are beautiful in their own way. And joy it´s what it is - to build is to enjoy a most wonderful time, and to learn things we never thougth to learn. Many thanks. =***

Frank, glad u passed by!

Raymond, it´s being hard, but I have to endure. Only after I finish my caravel I´ll take another ship from the box; and then, only one! I´ve already seen your model, liked her. A simple and true boat - we can see her lazy gliding through the river. ^^

Just now I´ve almost finished my main sail and it´s rigging. Had a lot more job than the fore and remade some things more than one time. Now I´ll take a break for my eyes are tired and began to lose patience. Here are some photos.

post-8919-0-99299100-1391465137_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-31175300-1391465143_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-98157100-1391465147_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-08285400-1391465153_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-17763900-1391465158_thumb.jpg

Mizzen is already waiting for her rigging. If you wonder why the sail is stained, well, I did it on purpose. If the ship has traveled the Atlantic lining the African coast, it´s more than logical that some dirty would be there, with gulls and other birds flyng and landing around...

Excellent work, Viv. You are definitely growing in this hobby.

And very nice photos also.

Felicidades!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Great work Vivian!

I can tell you're super eager to tackle your new kits.  But remember, the longer you take to finish this one, the more you will learn and be able to apply to your next kit, and then your next...  :-)  

It's quite fun to see such excitement by the way.

- Bug

Hi Vivian. 

Loved your work. We have a very rare to find women modelers. This is admirable. On this forum already saw that this ladys has long been a hobby subdued. Hats off! 

If you allow me, I will give a little advice to deadeyes. Can I? Now it is vryat useful, but to build San Francisco and can be useful. 

This is my favorite model. I collected it once, this is my first set. Congratulations on purchasing good!

Sincerely, Alexander
Commissioned carved work
Samples of my work: Carving from Belgorod

Hi Vivian!

Nice sails! I especially like the next to last picture. How did you do the seams? It looks like strips sewn together but are they rows of machine sewn stitches? I'm struggling with my sail and was curious. Keep up the great work!

Nice collection of kits too. eBay makes it too easy to collect a few. Not saying I have a problem with it haha!

Best wishes,

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Ulises, as soon as I finish her, I´ll take some photos outside - I think she´ll be beautiful to look under the sun. Gracias =*

Bug, my hands are itching and I´ve got this bug in my brains who keeps me wondering "if I just begin one, only another one kit". But I´ll behave and do it right. Still have to study about common objects on a caravel´s deck - sure some barrels and ropes, but would be nice to have something less common. ^^

Dale, many thanks for the compliment. One thing I assure: I have lots of fun making them.

Bindy, sails bring the ships alive. I see many kits, mainly the HMS´s don´t bring them, to show all ropes and riggings, it seems, but what would catch the spirit of sailing better than sails? =D

Alexander, Please, say your advice, I´ll be very happy to learn since you already build the SFII. Well, we may have 10 women in here posting their works but I bet we will grow on the hobby, for it is lovely and is so suited to everyone who wants to do it. Spocibo bolshoi. ^^

Buck, they´re rows from a machine. I was thinking on discard them and do my own, but I liked the overall look when I rigged the foresail. So, there they are. As for the e-bay, think I´ll have to be careful with my credit card. Most interesting is that my Red Dragon from AL is from 89, and seems quite complete. Other 2 kits are leftovers forgotten on Model Expo´s stock. Only missing the holders from the base that comes with the kit, but I wouldn´t use them. Ty!!

Edited by Vivian Galad

Go easy on the staining and dirt on the sails. A ship at sea has her white cloth sails out in the bleaching sun all day long. It's often easy to tell who has been at sea a while and who's been alongside by how white the sails are on the ship that's been at sea. The royal navy was often able to tell if the ship on the horizon was french by the fact that here sails hadn't been bleached by the sun. 

Your ship looks magnificent though. The more I look at these projects you people are working on, the more I'm inclined to say that I haven't the patience for it, I should stick with 1:1 scale…...

Sailor, That´s some great info. I´ll not stain it more than that, but I almost died them in black tea. Luck on me! As for the scale - well, don´t say about 1:1, but 1:10 would be great!!

Ship looks great Vivian!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Well,

Mizzen rigged. Now I´ll think about fittings and details. Seems she´s nearly ready and got a great look till now. ^^

Mizzen
post-8919-0-42005400-1391539186_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-51278200-1391539149_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-53044300-1391539202_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-57222600-1391539176_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-66554900-1391539181_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-37016400-1391539165_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-79691500-1391539159_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-15086000-1391539171_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-91967800-1391539196_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-66367900-1391539191_thumb.jpg

3 months work to this day.

She looks great! Good job. I think lateen sails are some of the best looking. I'm glad you decided to include them. Good luck on the next project.

Vivian,

Nice updates, I was a little behind on your build, now caught up. I especially like your detail work, anchors are great. The photos shot at deck level are brilliant and really show your excellent attention to details. OK now I'm caught up....

belo trabalho (means beautiful work)

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa