HMS Victory by Glenn-UK - Caldercraft - 1/72

After much research I have ordered the HMS Victory Caldercraft kit from CMB. I plan to make a start in earnest after the Xmas break and will post regular updates. This will be my second boat build as I've very nearly completed the AL Scottish Maid which was used as model boat build learning exercise which I really enjoyed building.

Glenn (UK)

Good luck with the build glennard. This one will keep you busy for a while. Also, I deleted the duplicate log for you.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hi Glennard,

I have also very recently acquired the Caldercraft Victory kit. Yes, it is a monster of a kit. I would like to make a suggestion regarding the middle gun deck if I may. This deck is used to add rigidity when assembling the bulkheads to the false keel.The instructions say to plank part of this deck because it is visible, and to do the planking after this stage of assembly. I have chosen to plank the middle gun deck first before assembling anything to the keel it is much more accessible this way. Another reason is that I am planking all the decks using the four step butt planking method as per the real Victory. A good reference for this type of planking is available on this forum titled simply 'Deck Planking' it is by Ulises Victoria from Mexico, another regular contributor to the forum.

Regards

Gary

HI Glennard

Scarborough Yorkshire? I worked as a fabricator for "Pickups" in the mid 80's

Looking forward to following your build as " Victory " is a real dream for me 

Happy building

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Greetings gerrard

Well you are off and running, so all the parts were present and correct, and all the dowel was straight. Good luck with your build, just enjoy it and I will follow it with interest. I well remember holidaying in Scarborough and also had my 21st birthday in the Lancaster, not that I remember much about it. Don't even think about trying to sail your ship in peasholm park when it's finished. Best wishes DAVID

Hi Glennard,

I also tried to use thread as chaulking  on my Norfolk build but found it fuzzed and pulled out when I sanded the planks, so I with the HB pencil for the chaulking and I was quite happy with the result . I think you have made a good choice to go with the HB pencil you will  be suprised how well it shows when the deck is sanded and varnished :D 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hello Glennard

I totally agree with Jeff on not using thread as caulking for the same reasons he gives. In my opinion It can also look to prominent or in your face if you understand. My best choice is no caulking but with planks just touching each other. But good luck with whatever you choose. DAVID

Hi Glennard,

Just found your build log.  Welcome to the HMS Victory builders here at MSW.  Enjoy your build, you're going to be living with it a long time!  As you progress you'll there's quite a lot in the manual that doesn't make sense or is just not there at all.  Use all the other Caldercraft Victory build logs here and things get a lot clearer.  There are so many excellent Victory builders here who are a wealth of information.

Best of luck, and Merry Christmas!

Patrick

Happy Christmas Patrick.

I have just been through the trails and tribulations of your build log, there is so much useful information, many thanks. You have a great looking build and I hope when I make a proper start in the new year I can achieve something similar to you and the rest of the caldercraft victory model boat builders.

Today I did spend five minutes filing a spare piece of 5mm board from the beading line to the edge. I will experiment on another piece with a chisel to see what works best before I work on the actual boat. What do you find was the best method?

Took delivery of Autonomy Of Nelsons Navy yesterday which had some very interesting information but also raised quiet a few questions down the line.

Anyway that all for now.

Glenn (UK)

Greetings Glennard

Merry Xmas , and you have got another Xmas box in the shape of a book. Have you got a David plane ?? If not it will be a good idea to buy one. It will be very handy for doing the type of work you are doing now instead of a chisel, and really handy for work on your masts. Best wishes . DAVID

post-96-0-11513900-1387919916_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-44773900-1387919960_thumb.jpg

Greetings Glenn

Looks like all is going well. I cut out two slots in the keel and inlaid and trapped alluminuam sleeve in the slots before I started to assemble the bulkheads. I used scrap 5mm ply on both sides of the keel to trap the sleeve, so the keel was solid if you follow. The sleeve I used was from a craft knife from one of those £I shop craft kits. I marked off the position of the sleeves on the keelson, and drilled a small pilot hole for reference. I have just came back from town were I have purchased some toule which is for the hammock netting . You will come across this well on in your build. I was advised on this by grant and Jerry. So if you you want me to send you some PM your address, and I will send more than enough. Keep up the good work and enjoy yourself. DAVID

Hi Glenn,

Sorry to hear about the problem with your bulheads and I am glad to hear that Jokita have been very helpful in assisting you. A good thing that you noticed it now and not much later in the build.

Best of luck with it and I hope to see your build up and running again soon :) 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

I have been able to move back in to the shipwright's office tonight. I thought I would make a start on the small boats whilst I wait for the replacement parts.

I though this would be easy, but its presents quite a challenge. The bulkhead and deck slots took a lot of filing to ensure they fitted correctly. I did manage to split bulkhead two but it was simple enough to repair.

Keel, bulkhead, deck and plank terminations fitted and glued

post-7550-0-65112400-1388693976_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-15523900-1388694002_thumb.jpg

Launch assemble now ready for first planking.

post-7550-0-66202400-1388694031_thumb.jpg

Whilst waiting for the launch assembly to dry I started work on the barge. A great tip is to file the slots before removing them from the plywood sheets I found it so much easier.

post-7550-0-15411200-1388694141_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-60962300-1388694169_thumb.jpg

That all for now folks, fingers crossed I get the new parts tomorrow so I can catch up over the weekend.

Glenn (UK)

I'm still waiting for the replacement parts from JoTika so I continued on with the Launch build. Its quite fiddly work putting on the first layer of planking, without putting to much glue on the bulkheads which have to be removed once the plainnking has been completed. Managed to fit 4 planks in 2 hours, as it took some time to soak, shape, bend and glue the planks.

post-7550-0-35164400-1388783516_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-67419900-1388783544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hi David,

This may be a stupid question but how did you realize - re post #35- that the bulkheads were incorrect?

Thanks,

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hello Mort

I noticed as I was dry fitting the quarter and upper gun decks; the slots did not align with bulkheads 4 to 9. I checked my pencil markings and it seemed I had fitted the bulkheads correctly then I realised that the shapes on the 5mm plysheets which where etched with the numbers 2 and 3 by JoTika were transposed when comparing with the layouts shown in manual.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Completed first planking on starboard side of the launch. Pleased with out come; just need to sand and coat with water down wood glue in readiness for second planking. Will first plank port side before I start the second planking.

post-7550-0-05272800-1388849384_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-13177900-1388849415_thumb.jpg

This is proving to be a more interesting side project than I first expected.

Glenn (UK)