Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

Michael, sounds like John did it first but he didn’t tell us which boat he did it on, and anyway I was hoping to follow your lead.

Oh... as soon as the cap is glued I will take a stab at it pictures too.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

So now it’s time for the hawse holes and hawse pipes. 

One of the old pictures is looking straight down the hawse holes and it is taken from the top of the sampson post.  I placed a yolk at the sampson post location and used it to guide the drill.  I enlarged the holes to accept a brass tube 9” scale diameter.  After flaring the outside, the tube was cut to length and an oval washer soldered to the inside.  The last two photos show the bow sprit temporarily in place.  I have to admit there was a problem the old picture was of the Lettie after the fore deck was raised.  But my model has the fore deck lowered.  So I drilled the hole in the wrong place and had to raise it to put it into the correct location.  All good now. 

Next the chain plates.

Bob

post-513-0-32702100-1395181044_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-85243700-1395181053_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-79441200-1395181066_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-25584200-1395181082_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-53138300-1395181146_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-36609600-1395181161_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-77073800-1395181172_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

That looks excellent. The flare on the outside is perfect to my eye.

Russ

Bob what an excellent job on the flare, that looks fantastic.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Looks good from here..... maybe a little wear marks from chain paying out. ;)

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Russ, Michael, David B, S.os, John, Elia, Thank you all for the kind words.  And thanks to those who click on “like”.  I know how it is to not know what to say.

Michael, Thanks for showing us how to make the flare on the pipe. I rounded the point of a nail and used that as the chasing tool.  Not as nice as your tools, but it worked.

S.os, Yes, I like working boats.  Even when I sailed I always bought older boats.  I don’t know if that’s because I feel they should look lived in or if I’m just not careful enough to make them look new.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

very nice job on the hawse hole.......now I see what you were getting at  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye.  We all need help now and then.

Bob

Well executed.  The lesson should be useful to many a schooner builder here.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

your Lettie Looks great Bob,

well done !

I am expecting a most beautiful created and built schooner under your Hands

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Allan.  That’s why I’m with MSW.  To learn how to do this kind of thing.

Nils, that’s what my admiral is expecting too.  She already has a place for Lettie and says she wants to see lots of gold.  So I won’t be painting the brass.

Bob

So I won’t be painting the brass.

My sentiments exactly.

Michael

Just remembered.  Now I have to go back and take the paint off the pintles and gudgeons.

Bob

As I said before, “SHE wants GOLD”.  Now I come to the cove that should be gold.  I looked into gold leaf but not only is it expensive but I don’t need near that much.  Yellow paint isn’t the same and I’ve never seen a gold paint that came close.  Besides with my hands I could never paint a straight line.  So here comes brass.  All I have to do is fasten a strip of brass . . . but I read topics here saying how do you fasten brass to wood?  There are probably many ways but here is how I did it.

The stripe goes in the cove line or in my case where the thin bulwark strake and the wide strake meet. 

post-513-0-37971100-1395523619_thumb.jpg

My plan was to solder .188” of the tip of several .024” brass plank nails to a .032” brass rod.  This is still up in the bulwark area so fasteners had to be placed where the stations are.  I drilled .020” holes into the stations.  I measured the hole locations and soldered the nail tips at the same distances and found out that if you are off by even that little the brass rod doesn’t fit properly. 

On to plan B.  I placed the nail tips in the holes leaving about .06” exposed.  Then I soldered on the brass rod and pushed it tight against the wood.  I then filed a flat on the exposed part of the brass to catch the light.

Thanks for the help Nils.

Bob

post-513-0-77017900-1395523635_thumb.jpg

Drilling for the nail tips.

post-513-0-19120600-1395523644_thumb.jpg

A nail tip pressed in, waiting for solder.

post-513-0-52102300-1395523656_thumb.jpg

Rod soldered to nail tip

post-513-0-65910800-1395523670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Very sharp Bob, so is that some heat resistant paint that you used?

Michael

Nice soldering Bob.  If you go to Michaels you will find metal leaf kits at a very decent price.

David B

Thanks John, that’s what she says also.

Michael, the paint is acrylic covered with Pledge/Future.  60/40 solder and a low temp solder iron.

Thanks for the info David, maybe next time.

Bob

such a neat idea!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye.  But I got help from the forum.

Keith, I only hope it doesn't become a target for pirates.  ;)

Bob  

As I said before, “SHE wants GOLD”.  Now I come to the cove that should be gold.  I looked into gold leaf but not only is it expensive but I don’t need near that much.  Yellow paint isn’t the same and I’ve never seen a gold paint that came close.  Besides with my hands I could never paint a straight line.  So here comes brass.  All I have to do is fasten a strip of brass . . . but I read topics here saying how do you fasten brass to wood?  There are probably many ways but here is how I did it.

The stripe goes in the cove line or in my case where the thin bulwark strake and the wide strake meet. 

attachicon.gif26a typ frame small (Copy).jpg

My plan was to solder .188” of the tip of several .024” brass plank nails to a .032” brass rod.  This is still up in the bulwark area so fasteners had to be placed where the stations are.  I drilled .020” holes into the stations.  I measured the hole locations and soldered the nail tips at the same distances and found out that if you are off by even that little the brass rod doesn’t fit properly. 

On to plan B.  I placed the nail tips in the holes leaving about .06” exposed.  Then I soldered on the brass rod and pushed it tight against the wood.  I then filed a flat on the exposed part of the brass to catch the light.

Thanks for the help Nils.

Bob

attachicon.gifIMG_0840 (Copy).JPG

Drilling for the nail tips.

attachicon.gifIMG_0841 (Copy).JPG

A nail tip pressed in, waiting for solder.

attachicon.gifIMG_0843 (Copy).JPG

Rod soldered to nail tip

attachicon.gifIMG_0847 (Copy).JPG

It Looks great Bob,

can`t wait to see the fixed rods when pollished in Close ups...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils, I can't either.

Bob

You might just have given me some ideas there Bob, excellent!

Steve

You might just have given me some ideas there Bob, excellent!

Steve

I joined the forum to get ideas.  Turns out when I learn others do to.

Bob

I joined the forum to get ideas.  Turns out when I learn others do to.

Bob and Steve this seems to be the order of the day.

Michael