Harvey by Nirvana - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - Kitbash

Per

My Harvey kit must be older than yours and the bulwarks came in 2 pieces each side. I admit that it was a while ago but I can't remember any problems and they are now lined and as strong as I could ever wish for. I do remember that I cut the gun ports into the bulwarks first, then trimmed them and finally added the lining cut to the port trimmers. I should think that your card bulwarks will also be very stiff once you line them. Another thing to check is the final thickness of the lined bulwarks against the width of the bulwark rail material. In my case, I added some vertical frames which I should not have done and found that the original rail strip was then just a whisker too narrow.

I used a black marker pen for the caulking in the deck boards.

Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

JB,

Bulwarks is a challenge because there is no even spot.

As I mentioned before in my log I replaced the stiff plywood bulwark pieces with card stock, and since this piece is to be covered anyway, I gave it a go.

The inside planking and caulking works fine I think. :rolleyes:post-967-0-47475900-1397453628_thumb.jpg

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Blackie,

Thank you for the information.

Hmm, one side of the bulwarks was divided in two pieces just as you mentioned while there were other "try-outs" of the same.

Truth, the kit is not original at all, bought it with many non-factory parts. As an example, the walnut hull planking didn't even reach the full length as stipulated in the material list, all came out 2cm shorter. The false keel and bulkheads

When it comes to gunports, I am to relocate them, to the time era. 

The "potty-houses" will not be added at all.

No ship as I have found has had them at the stem area.

"Just think about it, you need to go and here we dive into a wave, that flush would be more than anyone need" :o

I hope it will work out as I intend.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

BTW, this is what I like with this forum,

feedback from other members, even when you don't ask for it.

Blackie, thanks again.

Respectfully

Per

I agree with you about the heads not being on the BC. That said I did find that some immigrant vessels to Australia did have them. The James Craig is a restored/rebuilt 3 masted barque here in Sydney and it has a very small "box" up forward similar to the Harvey kit. I can't find an image of it but you might find one on the web just for interest. On the JC  today it is used for tools/equipment.

Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

• 5 months later...

The "Harley" has been neglected for some time, but when I went into my log I realized it hadn't been updated either.

The picture is old and the camera angle can be discussed, but the inner bulwalks planking is commencing.

post-967-0-33916700-1413093299_thumb.jpg

Respectfully

• 1 year later...

This ship is no more, the in-accurecy and lack of history made this build to a very sad story.

Along with the move from one location to another, Harley got the most decent ending for a ship.

A viking funeral.

Left over parts and material has been saved along with plans.

This is now a closed chapter.

Thank you all for reading and having inputs!

Respectfully

:(

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...

hey howya goin Nirvana mate, shes coming along there nicely done.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

sorry Eddie....this build has been suspended.  :(   they probably should lock it so no one can post.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• The title was changed to Harvey by Nirvana - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - Kitbash