H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Long9Ron - Scale 1:48

Hi Ron.

I don't want to disagree with your views.. But I like the finish and it looks just right.

It's what I am trying to achieve with my models :)

I think you build is spot on.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi Ron.

I don't want to disagree with your views.. But I like the finish and it looks just right.

It's what I am trying to achieve with my models :)

I think you build is spot on.

Regards Antony.

Wow. Thanks for the compliment Antony. I guess I will carry on with the build, seeing that a few people like the way it looks, me too in some ways. I like the rough look of ship models also. Nothing built way back when was ever perfect either I figure. At one point I was ready to scrap it and start all over, thinking that it didn't look like all the other great builds that I have viewed. But now I know that if I like it and I have done my best to build it, then it too is a great build.  :)

I believe your build will be great also. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hi Ron,

I agree that your coloring looks very nice and that your build is coming along nicely.

Also it’s great that you are learning from any problems you may have had. By the

end of a build we are so much better then when we started.

That’s a big part of the enjoyment for me. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 weeks later...

I installed a fifth post and installed the carling and ledges. 

post-327-0-10613500-1374440513_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-59972600-1374440515_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-73656800-1374440517_thumb.jpg

I have made all the planks for the lower deck ( all 120 mm long ) and have decided to use the 1,3,5,2,4 pattern for the decking. Below are a few pictures of how I'm adding the black 100 lb. weight paper to the edges of my planks in order to simulate the caulking between the planking. I think it will work out okay. Will update with some more pictures once I start laying a few boards. I have also made and stained the waterway boards and have installed them.

post-327-0-01654600-1374441030_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-86701900-1374441031_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-83669200-1374441033_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-15423300-1374441036_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-28593400-1374441053_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-06636000-1374441055_thumb.jpg

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Thanks Grant, I might try that.

Ron

Grant

I gave your way a shot at it, but I preferred to do in individually. Worked out better for me that way. 

The following pictures show the lower deck planking being installed. I used the 1,3,5,2,4, pattern and 100 lb. weight black paper and it looks okay to me, although the joints never really aligned with the ledges and beams. Oh well. learn as I go. :)

I have not decided on how to treenail the lower deck as yet. Maybe use filler as I don't have a draw plate to make any bamboo treenails and I didn't like the way the toothpick inner hull turned out. Toothpicks look to big and I should have had two instead on one.

You can see in the picture how far out my framing is by looking at the planking on the right side of the deck. I have learned a good lesson on this build. "MAKE SURE THE FRAMES ARE ALIGNED AND SPACED PROPERLY WHEN YOU FIRST START" or problems will be compounded further down the build. Next build will be better. Further sanding is required on the lower deck before treenailing and continuing. 

It's all a learning process at this stage and on this my first build.  :D

post-327-0-59277000-1374636899_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-03085500-1374636902_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-36882500-1374636904_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-89064200-1374636906_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-54602200-1374636909_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-59944000-1374636913_thumb.jpg

Ron

Hi Ron,

The planking is very nice. With all the beams covered you are

the only one who knows the joints don't fall on them. B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi.

I concur with the others. Looks brill.

Well done.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Ron,

You've probably said but in a short search I didn't get a hit. Is the decking Holly? It looks very good to me and the paper caulk isn’t shabby either. Well done!

Paddy

Thanks for the kind words. The decking is made from some Maple pieces that a neighbor gave to me. I still need to do some sanding and treenailing and then seal it. 

Rusty, Bob and Antony

Thanks you for the kind words also. 

Ron

I have finally finished the Lower deck now. I used a homemade punch to mark all of the treenails and then filled them with a ebony wood filler and sanded the deck and then applied 4 coats of Antique Oil. I think it turned out okay. I placed two treenails on every plank between the butt planks, maybe overkill, but I still think it worked out okay. Could have been a bit neater though.

post-327-0-37917400-1375122257_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-13342400-1375122260_thumb.jpg

Ron

Hi Ron,

I really like the look of your lower deck. I don't think it was overkill at all. Well done.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Very nicely done.

When you sanded...did the wood filler have a tendency to smear or did it sand verily well.

Pete

When I used the filler it was quite the mess. I thought to myself, oh no what have I done. I tried to wipe off as much as I could and then I had to let it dry. After it dried I sanded the deck with some 100 grit and then some 220 grit. That still wasn't very good, as you said it did smear, so I had to sand it even more using my homemade toothbrush sander. I sanded each plank that way, first with 100 grit and then with 220. I thought that I would try the filler method as it has been mentioned before that this can be done, but it is a method that I think I will not use again unless it is in a pinch. It's just that I don't have a Pin Vise or any small drill bits or a draw plate to make bamboo treenails at this time. There is no real hobby shop in my city and I would have to travel about a 120 Km to get some supplies. One day I will, but meanwhile I'll just have to use what I can find here. If you enlarge the pictures I think you can see that the filler did smear, but oh well I learn as I go. But, I do think it looks like a very used deck and it is my first build. Plus, nothing was perfect way back then anyway. Right?

Ron

Ron,

Were you using "filler" or "filler putty"?   Filler should dry hard.  Filler putty never really sets up.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the heads up on the filler. You may want to try using a scrapper (ie small razor blade) this will produce a very smooth finish and should have less "smearing" than sanding.

Just a suggesting if using the filler again.

Buildl is looking great, looking forward to more.

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

It was filler not filler putty. Yes. Maybe a scraper would have been better to use. I will have to keep that in mind for next time. 

Ron

• 3 years later...

Yes, I'm back after about two years. I will start to post some pictures as I go along and post any missing ones also.

See you soon. Have fun building.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I can do that i think. Give me a little time and I will post the pictures.

Ron

Here are a few of the pictures that I believe were missing. Just an update for now.

post-327-0-83972200-1481844825_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-66486200-1481844829_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-36757500-1481844833_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-38377500-1481844837_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-87537900-1481844840_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-89368400-1481844844_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-40452100-1481844848_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-01571800-1481844852_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-65052400-1481844855_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-20413600-1481844859_thumb.jpg

Ron