Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why is this kit so expensive?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria

Commander

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

I was browsing the Model Expo page, checking the offers and sales.

Corel's Wappen Von Hamburg kit in case: List price $2,850 dlls. Offered with a 80% discount at $579.

I have seen in other sites the Soleil Royal 

http://www.historics...oyale-MA796.htm

and Sovereign of the Seas at around 1,200 dlls, and in my opinion, these are much more large, complex and beautiful ships.

Just curious: Has anyone got the Wappen? Why is it so expensive? It doesn't look that attractive to me.

Thanks.

Edited by Ulises Victoria, 21 December 2013 - 10:48 PM.

• WackoWolf likes this

"There aren't but two options: do it fast or do it right."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

aferox

aferox

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 34 posts

I have built the Wappen, and I also have the Sovereign of the Seas on the shelf.  The Wappen was a very large, high quality, and complex kit.  And heavy; just about gave me a hernia moving it around when completed.  The lower deck was complete, and that made for a more impressive model.  For some reason one of the first things people do when they see one of my models is peer into the gun ports to check if they can see through to the other side.  She built up into an impressive model, and (I think) she looks lovely.  I would definitely place her on at least a par with the Sovereign of the Seas in terms of quality and complexity.  Although she did not correspond exactly to reference materials, I think she was closer than most other model kits I have seen.  Many years ago Smaug posted some old woodcuts of the Wappen on DDM, and I tried to finish mine to be consistent with those pictures.

• Ulises Victoria and maggsl_01 like this

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria

Commander

• Members
  • 973 posts

Thank you aferox.

Merry Christmas!

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

marktiedens

marktiedens

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • LocationAnkeny,Iowa

I ,too have built the Mantua Sovereign & Wappen Von Hamburg & agree with the comments of aferox.In my opinion the Wappen is a much higher quality kit than SoS.It would be a bargain at that sale price.

Mark

current build - Wasa - Corel

finished - Vasa - Sergal

HMS Victory - Caldercraft

San Felipe - Panart

Wappen Von Hamburg - Corel

Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal

and a few others

Ponto

Ponto

Midshipman

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB Canada

My Wappen Von Hamburg is currently on hold but would agree that it is the flagship of the Corel line of ships....I paid a little more than the listed sale price a couple years ago and this was  after watching the prices bounce around for a time.  I would suggest the list price is crazy high but  that is what marketing is all about.

JP

Current Build : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel)

On Shelf: Berlin (Corel), HMS Bounty (Billings), Le Renommee (EuroModel)

SaturnV

SaturnV

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationColorado

Listing a very high "retail" price and then having a "sale" price of a lot less makes the deal seem so much better, in turn getting people to buy the kit - "hey, I'm saving $2000 on this kit!" sort of thing. With that said though, the MS price is a really good price for this kit. The model is huge compared to others so in just the materials it would be worth the sale price.

Richard

NMBROOK

NMBROOK

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  • LocationYorkshire England

In the Uk all the big kits listed above are all pitched at a similar price,Sergal SOTS,Soleil Royal,Vasa and Corel Wappen von Hamburg.The equivalent of about $1100,so at the offer price of $579,that is a steal and probably cost price.

Kind Regards Nigel

• WackoWolf likes this

Sovereign of the Seas 1/84 based on the works of Van de Velde the elder

http://modelshipworl...tini-scale-184/

Modified Panart Royal Caroline

http://modelshipworl...t-147-modified/

Modified Euromodels Mordaunt 1681 

http://modelshipworl...-beyond-bashed/

Royal William 1719 Scratchbuild plank on frame contemporary style build

http://modelshipworl...    nigelbrook/

cristikc

cristikc

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationBucharest

You can find what is inside a KIT, how is made .... and so on, and you will understand why.

Here are some examples:

http://modelshipworl...ing-kits-video/

Also, if you want to buy part, timber, tools, ... and other, just to prepare a scratch (to look like a kit)

you will see that is not cip

Al the best and Marry Chistmas!

Cristi

• edmay likes this

Current build : San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                 Galery Santisima 

Next Build:      Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Ready to START

On Hold:         HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

Lin Feng

Lin Feng

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDalian, PR China

The price of 2,850 $ cannot be correct as you can see here:

http://www.cornwallm...rel_wappen.html

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria

Commander

• Members
  • 973 posts

The price of 2,850 $ cannot be correct as you can see here:

http://www.cornwallm...rel_wappen.html

Well... ME still shows that list price for that kit, as you can see here:

http://www.modelexpo...sp?ITEMNO=SM28W

:huh:

joemo

joemo

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew York USA

Major changes at Model Expo, see post from Marc who owned Model Expo years ago.

Joe

Jaxboat

Jaxboat

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 245 posts

The high price ME quotes is no doubt the MSRP and bears little resemblance to the true market price. However the ME sale price is a very good one.

KeithW

KeithW

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

You think that is expensive ;) Take a look at this Amati Albion - $20,900. http://www.agesofsai...ati-albion.html

(Yes I realize it's probably an error)

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways
post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria

Commander

• Members
  • 973 posts

Yeah! Most likely a mistake. Not even already built would cost that much!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.