Why is this kit so expensive?

Ulises Victoria

I was browsing the Model Expo page, checking the offers and sales.

Corel's Wappen Von Hamburg kit in case: List price $2,850 dlls. Offered with a 80% discount at $579.

I have seen in other sites the Soleil Royal 

http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Mantua/La%20Soleil%20Royal%20MA796/Soleil-Royale-MA796.htm

and Sovereign of the Seas at around 1,200 dlls, and in my opinion, these are much more large, complex and beautiful ships.

Just curious: Has anyone got the Wappen? Why is it so expensive? It doesn't look that attractive to me.

Thanks.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I have built the Wappen, and I also have the Sovereign of the Seas on the shelf.  The Wappen was a very large, high quality, and complex kit.  And heavy; just about gave me a hernia moving it around when completed.  The lower deck was complete, and that made for a more impressive model.  For some reason one of the first things people do when they see one of my models is peer into the gun ports to check if they can see through to the other side.  She built up into an impressive model, and (I think) she looks lovely.  I would definitely place her on at least a par with the Sovereign of the Seas in terms of quality and complexity.  Although she did not correspond exactly to reference materials, I think she was closer than most other model kits I have seen.  Many years ago Smaug posted some old woodcuts of the Wappen on DDM, and I tried to finish mine to be consistent with those pictures.

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

Thank you aferox.

Merry Christmas!

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

My Wappen Von Hamburg is currently on hold but would agree that it is the flagship of the Corel line of ships....I paid a little more than the listed sale price a couple years ago and this was  after watching the prices bounce around for a time.  I would suggest the list price is crazy high but  that is what marketing is all about.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Listing a very high "retail" price and then having a "sale" price of a lot less makes the deal seem so much better, in turn getting people to buy the kit - "hey, I'm saving $2000 on this kit!" sort of thing. With that said though, the MS price is a really good price for this kit. The model is huge compared to others so in just the materials it would be worth the sale price.

Richard

You can find what is inside a KIT, how is made .... and so on, and you will understand why.

Here are some examples:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4850-what-can-you-find-in-different-kits-unboxing-kits-video/

Also, if you want to buy part, timber, tools, ... and other, just to prepare a scratch (to look like a kit)

you will see that is not cip

Al the best and Marry Chistmas!

Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

The price of 2,850 $ cannot be correct as you can see here:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/corel_wappen.html

Well... ME still shows that list price for that kit, as you can see here:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=SM28W

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You think that is expensive ;) Take a look at this Amati Albion - $20,900. http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/amati-ship-kits/amati-albion.html

(Yes I realize it's probably an error)

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Yeah! Most likely a mistake. Not even already built would cost that much!!!