Harriet Lane by slagoon - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:144, 1857 steam paddle cutter

Another build log that was eaten by the hard drive monster was my 1:144 Harriet Lane so I will attempt to recreate it here. Again, like my Bounty's Jolly Boat I will include some retrospective content in the attempt to help anyone who wants to try this ship in the future.

Lets start at the beginning. I got this gift as a Christmas present from Santa (my husband still denies that he bought it). It is a model shipways boat and this model is from a solid hull. 

DSC06794-M.jpg

DSC06795-M.jpg

DSC06796-M.jpg

DSC06797-M.jpg

DSC06798-M.jpg

DSC06799-M.jpg

DSC06800-M.jpg

DSC06801-M.jpg

DSC06804-M.jpg

There are lots of little knick knacks that came with the ship too.

DSC06805-M.jpg

DSC06806-M.jpg

DSC06807-M.jpg

DSC06808-M.jpg

DSC06809-M.jpg

The first step is to cut out the patterns for the shape of the hull. It was suggested to me (after the fact) that you should paste it to a card stock or cereal box to make the pattern more firm. That would have helped but it certainly wasn't necessary.

DSC06810-M.jpg

The next step is measuring and placing the center line on the boat. I have a laser level so I used the laser to make sure my line was fully straight. I also marked the station lines on the ship. 

DSC06811-M.jpg

DSC06812-M.jpg

I measured from the centerline to the edges of the bulwarks based on the drawings and drew those lines on. 

DSC06813-M.jpg

DSC06814-M.jpg

Then I started shaping my hull. This was a slow process. I'd hone a station down until it was roughly right and then I'd move to the next, checking against the templates each tie to make sure I was taking the right amount away. Then I worked to get each station to flow nicely into the next. The toughest part there was where the hull didn't have enough material on it so I had to improvise a bit.

DSC06815-M.jpg

DSC06816-M.jpg

DSC06817-M.jpg

DSC06819-M.jpg

DSC06820-M.jpg

DSC06821-M.jpg

The bulwarks need to be really thin, 3/32"  and  to keep the boat from breaking during shipping the manufacturer really makes it thicker than needed. They also made it significantly shallower than needed so I thinned the bulwarks and also dug out the floors. This was really difficult since I didn't have the right tools.  Luckily my husband went to harbor freight and bought me a miniature hand planer. After it's blade was honed it worked like a charm. 

DSC06822-M.jpg

DSC06823-M.jpg

DSC06831-M.jpg

DSC06832-M.jpg

I applied wood putty to the hull to even out the couple dents that were too deep to sand out.  The wood was so soft that if I wasn't  careful it dented...even with just my little fingernails it would dent. It was truly annoying. But in a solid hull situation like this, putty is your friend.  I also used grey primer between layers of fixing dents because it helped the dents show up better.  

DSC06824-M.jpg

DSC06835-M.jpg

DSC06837-M.jpg

DSC06838-M.jpg

DSC06839-M.jpg

DSC06840-M.jpg

DSC06841-M.jpg

DSC06842-M.jpg

DSC06843-M.jpg

DSC06844-M.jpg

DSC06845-M.jpg

DSC06848-M.jpg

DSC06850-M.jpg

I would have been even more diligent than I was with filling in dents and smoothing the hull but my primary concern was the hull's shape since I was planning on planking above the waterline and coppering below the waterline.

Before I could get to that I needed to install the keel, stem, and sternpost. That required lots of measuring and tiny bits of cutting. The hardest part was dealing with the instructions. While this is a "beginners" kit it doesn't tell you where to get the parts from such as the figurehead stand on the bow. It really expects you to be able to figure a lot of that out for yourself...but then too they don't seem to include the optimum types of materials to craft your own pieces from.  This kit is a lot closer to a scratch build than the jolly boat was - I'm finding myself creating more parts than the kit gives...so if you are a beginner and don't have much experience either in other types of modeling or woodworking then you should steer clear of this kit.

DSC06852-M.jpg

DSC06853-M.jpg

In order to get a good shape for the stem I used a contour gauge against the hull. This was an old one my husband had lying around for ages, but it works just as well as a new one bought off of Amazon or from Harbor Freight.

DSC06855-M.jpg

DSC06856-M.jpg

For creating my figurehead stand I traced the shape from the plans onto a piece of cooking parchment paper and then cut that out and stenciled it onto the wood I used.  

DSC06858-M.jpg

DSC06857-M.jpg

DSC06859-M.jpg

After all these careful measurements my pieces went together perfectly.

DSC06860-M.jpg

DSC06861-M.jpg

DSC06862-M.jpg

DSC06863-M.jpg

DSC06864-M.jpg

Again it was time to play with the wood putty and smooth the transition between those new parts and the hull.

DSC06868-M.jpg

DSC06870-M.jpg

DSC06871-M.jpg

I needed a break so I started working on the wheel covers for the paddle wheels. I was trying to make it so I wouldn't lose all the detail of these parts but with every layer of paint I lost more and more detail.  I tried going back over the details with a knife to make them stand out more but they kinda looked horrible.

DSC06866-M.jpg

DSC06867-M.jpg

So I went searching for something better. I came across an old Pyro plastic kit from the '50s for "the blockade runner Harriet Lane" and realized it was nearly identical of the one that I am building of wood. I looked at the sides of the paddle boxes and realized they were indented completely differently and that whole areas were indented with other whole areas sticking out. So I went about shaving off material to let me get that same effect.  It looks better. Not perfect but much better.

DSC06872-M.jpg

DSC06873-M.jpg

I wasn't ready to go back to my hull yet either so I decided to work on my deck that had "precut" decking. It was basically a piece of wood that had lengthwise slats cut down it to imitate the spots between boards on a deck. The problem was they were the full length of the ship which was about 180' long in real life so I figured they didn't use 180' lengths of timber for the deck so I added little cuts every so often which, once I stained, ended up looking darker and like they were separations in the planks. Much better if you ask me.

DSC06829-M.jpg

DSC06830-M.jpg

DSC06833-M.jpg

DSC06834-M.jpg

Next was my intro to kit bashing. The kit supplied me with a figurehead about the size of a fingernail that was supposed to be an eagle perching. It looked like a tooth. It also showed on the plans all this beautiful detail on the side of the figurehead support that was not included in the kit. I'd read Chuck's practicums on the Sultana and Phantom based on someone's suggestion and Chuck explained how to create ship pieces out of Sculpy clay (or similar) so I tried my hand at making the scrollwork and a new figurehead.

DSC06879-M.jpg

DSC06875-M.jpg

DSC06878-M.jpg

DSC06880-M.jpg

DSC06881-M.jpg

DSC06882-M.jpg

I also read in the instructions that they wanted me to put the pilothouse together and then paste on the computer printed sheet of pilothouse details and paint any spots that the paper didn't cover. I couldn't take the idea of having paper as the pilothouse so I made the details as I think they may have looked out of wood. I used 5 layers of transparency paper as window glass and leftover nails from my jolly boat as door knobs. I painted the sides white (as they would have been if made from paper) and the top grey as instructed.

DSC06883-M.jpg

DSC06885-M.jpg

DSC06886-M.jpg

DSC06895-M.jpg

DSC06896-M.jpg

DSC06897-M.jpg

DSC06903-M.jpg

DSC06904-M.jpg

DSC06909-M.jpg

Then I went back to my hull. I planked the side with thin strips of wood and then at the waterline filed them down until they were as thin as I dared go.  I didn't do much sanding on the other pieces as that would defeat the purpose of planking it. I would have just left it solid hull if I didn't want it to appear made of wood. I also put lines simulating breaks in the lengths of the planks and two tiny dabs of super glue to simulate rivets before painting.

DSC06899-M.jpg

DSC06900-M.jpg

DSC06901-M.jpg

DSC06902-M.jpg

DSC06905-M.jpg

DSC06908-M.jpg

Then I went to start coppering my hull.  I didn't want to just put long strips of the copper on it - again that would be like the idea of putting paper on my pilothouse. I sliced the copper in half then put fake rivets in it by first doing it one at a time with an awl and then I realized I could use my tweezers and put in two rivets at once.  I was later told that I could have bought and used a pounce wheel. (Which would have saved me HOURS of work) Then I cut each small tiles from each strip and applied them starting at the waterline.

DSC06911-M.jpg

DSC06915-M.jpg

DSC06916-M.jpg

DSC06916-M.jpg

DSC06913-M.jpg

DSC06914-M.jpg

After coppering was done I needed to cut the spots for the wheelhouses. That was scary. Measure once, measure twice, measure a couple more times, take a deep breath then cut was my formula.

DSC06921-M.jpg

DSC06922-M.jpg

DSC06923-M.jpg

Then I cut my gunports using the same methodology.

DSC06931-M.jpg

DSC06931-M.jpg

DSC06933-M.jpg

Next it was time to prepare my wheel houses. I put the four pieces together for each side, sanded thoroughly, shaped the sides per the drawings and painted it black. I made some railings out of sculpy and glued those on and also glued on my covers you saw earlier.

DSC06929-M.jpg

DSC06930-M.jpg

I didn't like the idea of just painting everything black so I used blacken-it on the wheels and dark stain on the actual paddles.

DSC06924-M.jpg

DSC06925-M.jpg

DSC06927-M.jpg

DSC06926-M.jpg 

I decided that my eagle looked more like a bluebird so I tried just making the head of an eagle. I attached that and the scrolls at the bow. There had been some question of scale before the site died so here are also some shots to show the scale.

DSC06936-M.jpg

DSC06937-M.jpg

DSC06938-M.jpg

DSC06995-M.jpg

Then I attached the sponsons to the hull and added on some decking and some trim to make them look more complete.  I also added my decking to the rest of the boat at that time.

DSC06939-M.jpg

DSC06940-M.jpg

DSC06941-M.jpg

DSC06942-M.jpg

DSC06945-M.jpg

DSC06946-M.jpg

DSC06947-M.jpg

DSC06998-M.jpg

Next I added all my waterway pieces. which I stained in dark walnut.

DSC06996-M.jpg

DSC06997-M.jpg

Then I went about starting my railings for above the gun ports. This is as far as I got before the crash.  

DSC06949-M.jpg

Thanks for visiting and I'll have some actual updates soon!  'Till then feel free to check out my husband's swift.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Hi Sarah,

Glad to see your build log of this interesting vessel again. if I gathered enough courage, maybe I put her on my wishlist.

Your built is coming out great.

Regards

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Thanks John. I think you will be find doing it...especially with Wayne's and my mistakes to keep you out of trouble :).  As long as you aren't looking for an actual beginner's model you'll find it quite fun. It really does encourage kit-bashing which I've been told is a complete gateway drug. *I will not scratch build yet....I will not scratch build yet * hehehe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Mark, Sjors, what can I do to thank you besides showing you more pictures?

Next up was my railings, I chose to ignore the instructions that told me to make them black and instead I chose to have them dark walnut with high gloss for the finish.

DSC07000-M.jpg

DSC06999-M.jpg

Next were the catheads which were probably the easiest, just a piece of wood cut down at 45º that matched the size of the ones in the plans.

For the bow rail I wasn't really provided with any wood that was the correct thickness so I took some of the leftover sides from the paddle boxes and glued them together. Then I drew on the shape of the bow and started sawing it down.

DSC07001-M.jpg

This was tricky so I took a break and started shaping the shear strake. As with all the planking I started by just soaking the wood in hot water then putting it on the ship without glue and leaving it to dry.

DSC07002-M.jpg

I got back to the bow rail. I finished cutting it out (which was tough because it liked breaking on the grains so then I'd have to wood glue and wait till the next day). Luckily I had plenty to do with getting my build log rebuilt.

DSC07003-M.jpg

I shaped and shaped and filed and sanded and then cut out the couple details that I still had and came up with this!

DSC07006-M.jpg

DSC07007-M.jpg

As you can see, by now I have also finished installing the shear strake and the catheads

DSC07008-M.jpg

Next up was the doors for the gun ports. They told me to make it out of the plane board provided (yet again I found it inadequate) so I took a piece of teak that I'd gotten recently and glued two leftover planks to it. Then I cut them down to bite-sized pieces...er gun port door sized anyway and painted the front the same black as the rest of the boat. I also added some eyebolts to act as the part where the rope will hold them open.

DSC07009-M.jpg

I cut really thin bits of brass and used those as hinges and attached them to the boat.

DSC07010-M.jpg

You can see that I just varnished the teak on the other side. It was TOO pretty to paint...I only used it for this because it was the only thing I had available to me without making yet another trip to the hobby store.

DSC07012-M.jpg

Edited by slagoon

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Next up is making my funnel. Again, a silly little wood dowel for my funnel? How does smoke escape? through my brand new shiny brass one, that's how.

DSC07041-M.jpg

I cut it down and used blacken-it on it, but that didn't get me the look I wanted...so I put it over a candle for awhile, eventually using it as an actual funnel for the flame which got me the effect I wanted.

DSC07018-M.jpg.jpg

In the drawing of the ship I saw that they wanted it to look riveted so I took some of my scale rivets and applied them with a satin nail polish.

DSC07030-M.jpg

DSC07031-M.jpg

DSC07039-M.jpg

DSC07029-M.jpg

I also saw in the drawings that there were bands all the way around the funnels. I created this effect with simulated stained glass lead liquid.

DSC07040-M.jpg

DSC07035-M.jpg

DSC07037-M.jpg

My super glue cap is really useful!

DSC07038-M.jpg

Here is a before and after of the brass tube.

DSC07042-M.jpg

As always, thanks for stopping by. Any questions, comments, criticism are always welcomed :)

Edited by slagoon

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah,

I was already wondering when this 'babe' got back on line. You are making some wonderfull improvements. You are bashing along just nicely. Love what you're doing, even the duckling - so cute ;)

that funnel of yours ... very, very, very well done! Maybe I should start using nailpolish? Inventive not to say the least

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very realistic stack Sarah!  NICE!!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Love it Sarah!!   That funnel looks terrific!   And now my 2 sources of Harriet inspiration (yourself and Wayne) are now both back - things are now complete!!!!

Can't wait to see how you progress;  the little details you add really make a difference!

As a side question; that sheet in one of your pictures of scale rivets?  What else is on there and where would one find it (and what it's called) :D ?

-Adam

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam, the decal sheets are micro mark brand but I got them from my local hobby store (http://www.micromark.com/decal-paper.html) they are at the very bottom of the page in two different scales.

Augie, that was my goal, I'm glad it worked.

Carl, haha yes nail polish is helpful sometimes...just remember that the color was given by the metal and the heat. The nail polish only held down the decal and gave the satin finish.

Wayne, thanks a bundle :)

Edited by slagoon

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Sarah,

You seem to be having a ball with this and also doing a great job on building her.   I'm enjoying your build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,  I sure am having a good time, and I'm learning a ton!

I haven't made a TON of new progress since the last update and I am stuck with a few questions (which you can answer here) but I've done a little bit.

Obviously once I finished making the funnel look good I wanted to install it, so that was next, including the whistle (it is the forward tube that has a red top). The aft tube is for steam. I attached some fake fasteners made of gun-metal colored wire.

DSC07044-M.jpg

DSC07047-M.jpg

DSC07048-M.jpg

Next I worked on preparing the davits that hold the ship's boats. I had to take the blank ones

DSC07049-M.jpg

and drill a hole in it.

DSC07050-M.jpg

Then it was time to put the steering wheel area thing together. I used a bit of wood and tried to trim the sides down a little to make them fancier.

DSC07051-M.jpg

The legs are four 6mm columns.

DSC07052-M.jpg

Before I could put it together I  needed to work on the wheel. I painted it the same brown as the stand and then dry brushed a little "gold" on it just to make it not look just flat.

DSC07054-M.jpg

Here is a perspective photo

DSC07055-M.jpg

and here it is installed

DSC07056-M.jpg

remember this scale is TINY

DSC07057-M.jpg

Next were the fife rails. These are supposed to have belay pins in them and since they are blank I had to drill holes in them.

DSC07058-M.jpg

DSC07059-M.jpg

I needed some instant satisfaction so I installed my bell

DSC07062-M.jpg

Then I started making my windlass a little more detailed by adding slivers of wood.

DSC07081-M.jpg

DSC07084-M.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking!!!!!!!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

glad to see you back with the H.L.  instructions can be a problem,  but it doesn't seem to be impeeding you from creating a very nice build.

I find such an  'open ended approach'  to wood modeling......it's very refreshing.   this coming from a guy that used to shy away from these kit.  some kits more than others,  you will find yourself dabbling more towards the  'dark side'......more than others.   all you can do is learn from it......and when your ready.....you'll be prepared.   looking forward in following this fine build.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye - welcome to the front row :) Yes I totally agree about the open ended...the hardest part is I know nearly NOTHING about sailing other than my memories of my 5 or 6 times on a schooner for an afternoon during my childhood...so figuring out what things are and how they should look is tough. I've built a little library already which my husband kind of laughs at. He says that for every kit I buy I need to allocate a budget of $20-60 for books :) hehe.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Wow Sarah!

You have added some great detail there and at a very small scale.

I love the figurehead and smokestack. This is the kind of detail that makes it YOUR model and not just a kit build.

Keep it up - I will be watching as it progresses.

Ricky

Ricky

Current Builds

Titanic - Mantua

Victory - Mantua

Completed Builds

Norske Love - Billings

Bluenose      - Billings

Danmark      - Billings

Riva Aquarama - Scratch

Plus literally hundreds of others over a 55 year period

Planned

Neechiemose - scratch build of my 50 ft ketch in my avatar

I have to agree with the others, you've been doing a real nice job here.

You're obviously not afraid to experiment, or bring in techniques from other hobbies to get the effect you desire.

Here's looking forward to you first scratch build, whenever that may be :)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I notice Sarah,  that you have the Cux build in your future.   if you'd like I have my build logs that I wrote on it.  I can send you the links when you are ready......just let me know if you have need of them.   sadly,   thay ae no longer here.

learning the history of the subject,  is the best way to ready yourself for any build........nothing wrong with that.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

What can I say other than that the wealth of information from all of you and your encouragement really help me figure some of this stuff out.

Popeye, I would love to access your file. It was part of what made me decide I wanted to try the CUX.  I'll definitely be reading up on it.

Andy,  Thank you so much. I love seeing your work and it is especially neat because of your more unique perspective with being around ships all the time.

Grant, thanks. It gets sort of frustrating when the instructions are at this level that expects a certain amount of knowledge and aptitude, and then the parts they provide you look...well.... subpar.

Sjors, thanks! I have no idea if the whistle is supposed to be red or what, but it seemed better than having EVERYTHING black or grey.

Ricky, Thanks - yep there will never be another just like it - mistakes and all! ;)

I can't wait to have more updates for you guys.... there has been a lot of painting tiny things lately so I can't install them till they are done, but in the meantime I'll be catching up with reading everyone elses work.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Yeah.... Being around ships and then having them as a hobby..... Some kind of sickness I think....

BTW if you have any technical questions about the real thing, don't hesitate to ask..... I relish the opportunity to haul out my old text books :)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Very nice work Sarah,  The funnel came out great! looks terrific installed.   Enjoying the little details you are sticking in there;  not sure I will have the patience come time but they are working for you!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Sarah,

If the whistle is red, yellow, blue or even purple it is your choice!

You are the captain and we are watching and telling you what you do right or wrong  :D

If you like it, that's the most important thing.

Sjors

Andy, thanks - I'll take you up on that!

Adam - it doesn't take that much patience. There is no race in finishing. If you want something to look a certain way you just do it. If it sucks, you re-do it, if it still sucks, you have your spouse do it ;) hehe but seriously, I figure the longer it takes me to finish, the less money I'm spending so I'm in no real hurry so patience is easy.

Sjors - hmmm hot-pink, just kidding - I guess, though, it would be nice to know what was the normal color since all the pictures of the ship seem to be in black and white!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Ok, so you may have seen my  help request over in the fittings section and I ended up making a sculpy version of the thing that takes the anchor chain below deck...Does this look about right as far as scale? The chain is the chain that will be going into it. The part is made of clay and if it is right I'll be painting it.

DSC07095-M.jpg

Next up is the Knightheads - I've built, painted, and installed them now :)

DSC07097-M.jpg

And finally, I've installed my bitts!

DSC07096-M.jpg

DSC07099-M.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hi Sarah,

If looking for you for a colour picture but I also can not found it :-(

The little things on your deck looks nice :-)

I can not see if the sculpt thing has the right size.

Maybe you can put it where it belongs so you can see if it have the right size?

Now it is very difficult to see…..

Sjors

haha - be careful with the girl's box! The polish I used is a "Matte" polish which is trendy right now, but that one was more of a satin finish than true matte which was a disappointment to me for my nails...which was why I was so excited when that was the finish I actually wanted on the funnel.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

hahah you guys are too much. That is ACTUALLY what my husband did (well not applying nail polish after) but he got CA on his fingers and sanded it off. I saw him doing it, went upstairs to my "nail polish remover for natural nails" aka "100% pure acetone" put a drop of CA on my fingers to my husband's horror, grabbed a swab and loaded it with acetone, gently rubbed on my dried CA and showed him my unmarred finger. Needless to say my acetone has been reassigned to the hobby area.  And yes, Popeye, to the original question, CA is too shiny to be trendy right now. Sorry :(

you guys are seriously too much fun!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hi Hrvoje, thanks! I use what is available to me  :)

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build: