Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I want one, I want one! :)  Very nice use of technology to make the job a little easier and achieve excellent results.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Marc,

Have caught up on your build cannot add any descriptive adjective that everyone hasn't used already. 

Magnificent kudos X 10 , this Buds for you  :cheers:

Our best to the Boss

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

How far has it evolved ... Deathstar III or IV in the mean time? At least it works and the results are mighty fine. Those deck planks have a very nice caulking to it! Pitty can't get the same effect with a lighter. that's more to my wallet's liking

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

That deck looks great Mark.  Its still a mystery to me the marking out of the curved planking but looks awesome.  Are you going to place individual planks or are they 'one piece'?  If individual, I wonder if its possible to alternate planks from stb and port sides so the grain of the wood differs so it doesn't look like its cut from one piece.  Very jealous of that deck Mark B) 

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I'm having a lot of fun with this once I figure out what needs to be done.  The "how" is just as important as the "what" in this case.  Frustrating at times, but very satisfying when it comes together.

This is pretty much virgin territory for me...

Ah yes,  that's where the fun comes in and joy of accomplishment.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for looking in.   So far, so good on planking.

cog, on 12 Feb 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

How far has it evolved ... Deathstar III or IV in the mean time? At least it works and the results are mighty fine. Those deck planks have a very nice caulking to it! Pitty can't get the same effect with a lighter. that's more to my wallet's liking

This Deathstar II, Rev2.   I think.  Ah.. just call it Deathstar III.  I've got one pesky setting that won't stay in place on a mirror adjustment.  Considering my options....  Locktite, epoxy, or weld it.   

That deck looks great Mark.  Its still a mystery to me the marking out of the curved planking but looks awesome.  Are you going to place individual planks or are they 'one piece'?  If individual, I wonder if its possible to alternate planks from stb and port sides so the grain of the wood differs so it doesn't look like its cut from one piece.  Very jealous of that deck Mark B)

Jason, 

Here's a couple of screen shots that might help.

The first is complete drawing (as of today) with all the layers of which there are 10.  I started with a scanned image of the deck, then added reference lines (red and blue).  Then each part of the deck got it's own layer so I could lock it and turn it on or off as needed.

The red tick marks off the vertical lines is where the planks cross the beams (actual measurements).  I started in the center and worked both ways by copy/pasting the original set of marks and then adjusting the size to fit the space (scaled them).  So far, so good.  It seems to be working.    This is a computer variation of the planking fan that Chuck uses in his planking methods.

post-76-0-54634400-1486924059_thumb.jpg

This shot is of the cutting layers for the plankings....  

post-76-0-20211200-1486924066_thumb.jpg

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

very nice work Mark......... the laser cutting looks awesome!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great idea Mark.

One I was thinking of after watching everyone spend time using filler blocks to fill in overlarge gaps between bulkheads for planking was whether someone with a laser rig and reasonable CAD skills could create filler kits for popular retail kits. For example you could do two tweened bulkheads that get added between each kit bulkhead, at that point no gap would be big enough to cause a problem. Or simpler, but less elegant, would be bread and butter pieces that you stack and then slide in between bulkheads that are cut to fit specific bulkhead locations.

I think those would be quite doable and I at least would pay some money for something like that to cut out an annoying step by using laser-cut pieces that would solve the problem not just for the bow and stern but provide pieces for midships as well, I would use them.

Edited by vossiewulf

Great idea Mark.

One I was thinking of after watching everyone spend time using filler blocks to fill in overlarge gaps between bulkheads for planking was whether someone with a laser rig and reasonable CAD skills could create filler kits for popular retail kits. For example you could do two tweened bulkheads that get added between each kit bulkhead, at that point no gap would be big enough to cause a problem. Or simpler, but less elegant, would be bread and butter pieces that you stack and then slide in between bulkheads that are cut to fit specific bulkhead locations.

I think those would be quite doable and I at least would pay some money for something like that to cut out an annoying step by using laser-cut pieces that would solve the problem not just for the bow and stern but provide pieces for midships as well, I would use them.

Interesting idea.  Most use balsa and then paint it with a 50/50 mix of water and white glue to  harden it.  The problem with laser cutting would be the thickness and type of the wood as lasers are limited in that respect.  It would be great if the manufacturers would increase the number of bulkheads but we know that won't happen. I think there are some out there who do include some bread and butter type of bow and stern fillers that still need be faired.

I've not tried anything like plywood or MDF on my machine yet... nor have I done any pieces over 6" long by 3" wide yet.   So I'm not an expert.

Check around your area for someone with a cutter like a trophy company, engraving company.  They usually have some pretty powerful machines that might be able to do it.  I think Dave at the Lumberyard has access to a 100W machine which might be able to do something like that but what the cost would be for one-of's I have no idea.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If they're not available I have no issue making something like that for myself. I was more thinking it's a niche market that someone with a laser could make a little money in :) Create required files for top 10-15 kits, offer for sale, run them off on demand.

That could probably be done with the right equipment.  There are bespoke cutting service out there that have the equipment.  Probably, one would have to design, send the prints out for cutting some samples, and then give notice they're taking orders.      If you get some made for yourself, pop a notice in the trader's forum and see where it goes.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very interesting indeed Mark. You know of my use of the laser cutter at my local library. However I have been reticent to use it for planking.

How do you measure the kerf? Do you calculate it then increase the size of the planks? That's how I do it, but it's never perfect. I always make my pieces slightly large and then sand to fit. 

Also, no matter how thin the stock, I find that the laser doesn't cut a perpendicular line - there is always a taper that has to be sanded down. How do you deal with that?

Keep up the excellent work. Yours will likely be the first laser-cut scratch build ever!

Nice planking Mark and not to forget the tutorials and interesting conversations regarding it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Very interesting indeed Mark. You know of my use of the laser cutter at my local library. However I have been reticent to use it for planking.

How do you measure the kerf? Do you calculate it then increase the size of the planks? That's how I do it, but it's never perfect. I always make my pieces slightly large and then sand to fit. 

Also, no matter how thin the stock, I find that the laser doesn't cut a perpendicular line - there is always a taper that has to be sanded down. How do you deal with that?

Keep up the excellent work. Yours will likely be the first laser-cut scratch build ever!

Good questions...  

I cut a 1" square in each thickness (and type) of the wood I'm using.  I then measure the kerf using the hole and the cutout piece.   Close counts and still end up sanding to fit.

As for that taper... in this case, I'm cutting the planks upside down.  When I flip them over to install, the taper works to my advantage on the curve of the deck.  

The one thing I did do was change out my lens from a 2" focal point to the 2.5" focal point.  Less taper. If 3" focal point lens ever becomes available, I'll try it.  The beam comes out of the tube, and bangs off the mirrors and actually widens a bit (not much but the brains who know this stuff tell me it happens).  Leaving the lens the beam goes V-shaped to the focal point.  Thus the shorter the focal point, the wider the taper.  The longer, the narrower the taper.

Also, set the focus point halfway through the wood. It makes the kerf a tad wider but also reduces the taper by burning more of the material at the bottom of the cut.  No matter what we do, there's still some finish sanding to get things to fit and be square.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the speedy reply, Mark. Those are all very useful hints. I'm going to try the focus tip you gave me - will be really useful on thick woods, I'm thinking. Keep up the fantastic work on this build!

Good questions...  

I cut a 1" square in each thickness (and type) of the wood I'm using.  I then measure the kerf using the hole and the cutout piece.   Close counts and still end up sanding to fit.

As for that taper... in this case, I'm cutting the planks upside down.  When I flip them over to install, the taper works to my advantage on the curve of the deck.  

The one thing I did do was change out my lens from a 2" focal point to the 2.5" focal point.  Less taper. If 3" focal point lens ever becomes available, I'll try it.  The beam comes out of the tube, and bangs off the mirrors and actually widens a bit (not much but the brains who know this stuff tell me it happens).  Leaving the lens the beam goes V-shaped to the focal point.  Thus the shorter the focal point, the wider the taper.  The longer, the narrower the taper.

Also, set the focus point halfway through the wood. It makes the kerf a tad wider but also reduces the taper by burning more of the material at the bottom of the cut.  No matter what we do, there's still some finish sanding to get things to fit and be square.

GemmaJF, i would be concerned with foam as after a while it starts to break down.  I used balsa, which I sealed with a diluted PVA - would this cut with the CNC hot wire cutter noting its composition?  Then again, I do not know the longevity of balsa either :(

It might also be better to move this as a separate line of discussion rather than clog-up Mark's build log if there is much discussion on it?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Gemma, I agree with Pat that foam is questionable if you intend the model to have any longevity, they don't generally age well and some kind of bad thing will happen when they do so inside a ship model.

Pat, no you can't cut wood of any kind with any hot wire cutter I'm aware of, they're designed to melt their way through with little resistance, I foresee fire extinguishers in the future of anyone who tries cutting balsa.

I think the only reasonable way to do it is the same way the kit is done, with additional bulkheads laser-cut out of material of similar thickness. As nice as a fully continuous surface to work against is, it's not necessary, the requirement is to make the gaps narrow enough to really fair the hull lines with enough bulkheads that the planks can follow a correct curve the whole way, and to provide enough support so planks don't sag under sanding between bulkheads.

It surprises me that no one has taken a run at making basic 3d hull models of most of the major kits using the kit bulkhead shapes in the correct locations, there is more than one possible aftermarket application of a library like that.

In this case once you have the skinned model you can slice it anywhere you want and there's the profile of a bulkhead in that location. All you need to do is add enough extra to allow the fairing sanding and there's the final bulkhead that would need to be cut. Very easy to produce versions that use 2, 3, 4 or more new bulkheads between the existing ones. Only other factor is checking the keel/keel plate part to see what kind of fit you need for the new bulkheads.

Edited by vossiewulf

No problem.  Moving this to better forum like the Framing area would probably get more eyes and ideas.

I'm still fussing in the shop so nothing to report.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Buy what thing?   I'm cleaning and sorting out so small planking problems.  just fussing about and not 100% focused.   :D  :D  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

G'day Mark

Just wondering if you know any forum on MSW that deals with laser cutters etc.

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Use the tools section, Greg.   I think (vague memory here) I put my review there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

is ist right, that on French ships thy don't use the 3 But Shift or 4 But Shift System for the planking sheme?

If they use it, you have to change the ends of the planks in your last picture.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Mark, long time no "see". Wow you have made some serious progress since I last looked in. She is looking beautiful. Your attention to detail is paying off brilliantly!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Robbyn,   It's great to see you again.  I hope all is well.

Mark,

is ist right, that on French ships thy don't use the 3 But Shift or 4 But Shift System for the planking sheme?

If they use it, you have to change the ends of the planks in your last picture.

Rats...   I had to flip the coin and chose wrongly.   The picture below is behind the times from earlier this week as I'm installing the second segment of planking at this point and have already cut out all the wood for the rest of the deck.   I'll pause and think this.

post-76-0-71180600-1487532247_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: