Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

good to see your making some progress Mark.......nice looking plans  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great to see her up and running Mark.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good start Mark!

You are not only modeling a ship, but also modeling a complete ship rebuild using parts of an old one... ;):D I will follow this!

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Hi Mark -

Out of the starting blocks and into the first mile of the marathon.  Glad you were able to salvage as much of v.1 as you did.

Nice idea to put the batten down on your reference line.

Following with interest.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

It looks interesting with what you are doing Mark !

But what are you doing ???  :D  :D

I see plans....I see a machine ....I see wood.... ok.

I've got it !!!....You have started ! Yes !!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Awesome Mark - looks like you are off and running, very nice very nice indeed!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Pressure starts ...

Words from Pink Floyd

Dig that hole, forget the sun,

And when at last the work is done

Don't sit down it's time to dig

another one.

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I hope your old build log remains in the forum and you might consider linking it in your first post here, kind of like a ship wreck for others to see that even the best laid plans sometime go awry and require drastic measures to correct. I've always believed we learn WAY more from our mistakes then our successes and there is true benefit for others builder (especially new builders) to witness the issues of others and understand that this is part of the path to being better.

I'm looking forward to seeing more FUN.

I would have to agree with themadchemest.  You put alot of work and effort into your first build.  I admire your tenacity.  A link to your old build would help many others learn.  Now for the cheer.  GO! GO! GO! MARK!

David B

Thanks for the kind words of support.   I'm not so much off and running, but off and walking.  I ran the first time and we all know where that went.  :)   Now that I think about it, I'm more like treading through a minefield at this point.

Nenad,

Thanks for the Pink Floyd.  That used to be a theme song where I used to work... That and Sam Cooke's "Chain Gang". :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi mark, a steady pace is better than stopped!

I would be like you if I was doing a V2.0, slow and making a lot of checks - you seem to have that well under control.

Ben

Nearly missed the start of this second version mark; glad I didn't as you have made a great start.  Bit crowded in the stalls so I've grabbed a seat at the back so that I can throw peanuts :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mark,

It looks like you are applying every lesson you learned from version I regarding precision. I look forward to seeing this version develop!

Nice to have a set of fine fittings already made and waiting a new home...

Mark

Pat,

Next round of peanuts are on me.  :)

Mark,

Thanks.  I'm applying everything I learned from Version 1.0.   Some of the fittings will hit the trash, some won't.  I'm testing myself again.  ;)   I still have a pile more work to do before the framing gets here, like keel, etc.   And if there's time, fiddle with the lathe and turn some cannon.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Somebody here said:

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient."

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Sure looks like you are off to good start! Slow and steady my friend! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bugger, I missed the start, very little room left in the seats so I'm gonna sit on the Popcorn Machine, just enough room on there. I can also make sure Grant don't eat all the popcorn.

Nice easy start Mark and I like the way you are approaching Mk 2.

Going into the salvage business I see, why not, no need to reinvent the wheel mate.

I wish you a slow and methodical Mk 2 and will follow your journey with a great deal of interest.

Good Luck mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the nice comments and the "Likes".

The one thing (ok... one of the things) I've learned is not to trust tools.  The mill was acting funny in that the tool/motor, etc. would sometimes drop slightly in the "Z" axis.  Nothing is mentioned in what passes for a manual for this thing except in the parts list... there's a gib  screw.  Adjusted it and no more unwanted movement.  I'm now going over the table saw... found some minor issues and the lathe also needs some attention.

By the way, the build board is finished.  So... as soon as the tools are in good repair and pass inspection, I'll start the keel, stem, deadwood assembly.  Now to decide on either cherry or boxwood for those and will look best with the swiss pear/ebony* planking.  Hmm....  ??? 

*Yeah.. I'm going to go with the ebony again.  Just because it's there and I want to master it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice catch Mark.  I always find a book by an expert user for each of the power tools I have that explains how to 'tune' them to get consistent quality /accurate cuts, finishes etc.  I have top thank a mentor in my club for that sage bit of advice.  ....and that reminds me about time I revisited each to ensure all is still in alignment etc :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

... digg that hole ...

;)

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Latin, John???  Thanks.

Pat,

I've got a pile of docs from both the manufacturer's and the web.  They all help but I seem to run into things that aren't in the books.  That gib adjustment was one of them.  I've a similar issue on the lathe..  somethings causing chatter and I suspect it's just one of the gib screws (there's 3 per side just on the main cross slide alone). Or one of the other gib screws.

Nenad,

I'm digging....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark

I don't know what type of mill or lathe that you have, but one of the better help sites that I've found is the Sherline site. Check out the following link and see if anything can help you.

http://sherline.com/hlpsheet.htm

Good Luck

Later Tim

Edited by Tim C

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Tim,

I use the MM instructions (crap basically) along with the LittleMachineShop, Sherline, and others.  Sherline is one that gave me the idea to mod the mill for higher rpm.  :)   The mill I have isn't really covered by any site and has apparently been discontinued. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Chattter usually means that the feed rate ot the tool bit are not positoned propoerly.  Have you checked into this?

David B

Mark

Happy to see you move ahead. I believe I will emulate your wood choices when it's time for my scratch build. I am especially interested to see how you handle ebony with all you learned last time.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

II know many modelers who use ebovy.  It is a nice looking i.

wood.  However it is too hard and messy for me.  I would rather use pear and ebonize it

David,

Those and spindle speed are always the first things I check.  In this case, the gib screws on the saddle were loose which is weird since they originally (by me) were locktited into position.  And <mild rant on> what kind of idiot designs a handle on a rotating screw without a slot and key or pin or serrated shaft and handle? <mild rant off>  The cross-slide handle came loose again on the shaft even thought the securing screw was tight.  Minor ongoing issue that will be solved by drilling a through hole in the handle and shaft and putting a pin.

Thanks Richard,

Ebony gets steam, lots of heat, and invectives.  :)  But it sure looks great when it's on.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: