Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0

• Please log in to reply
2387 replies to this topic

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,241 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

After cleaning up the shipyard a bit, here goes....   New framing wood has been ordered but due to Jeff at Hobbymill's schedule it won't be here until late (very late) April.  I'm planning on using up my existing stock of swiss pear, ebony, pear, silver maple, and cherry and maybe some boxwood if I see fit. 

At this stage, I'm poring over the plans and notating such things as wale, gunport, and deck clamp locations on the individual frame drawings as I'm planning on putting some reference points on the frames physically as I cut them.  This should solve some of my previous issues..  With 60 frames, this is going to take a bit.

I have a new build board laid out and prepped but not cut.  The frame reference board is ready to go.

I'm still making a final decision on whether to stick with cherry or go with boxwood for the keel, stem, and stern items.   Version 1.0 sits forlornly in another part of the shipyard waiting for various bits and pieces to be cannibalized.  I'll be re-using my old fabricated measuring tools and making some new ones.

Hopefully, by the time the framing stock arrives, all the plans will be annotated and scanned, all the bits and pieces from V 1.0 will be cannibalized, and bunches of new bits will be fabricated and then ready and waiting.  bth_my_fingers.gif

It's time to do this beast right and proper... and to have some fun doing it.

• Chuck, Wintergreen, trippwj and 36 others like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,241 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Here's the seemingly mandatory history:

This ship caught my attention the first time I saw the plans because it had a white flag. Laughed a bit until I researched it. But then the lines caught my eye. She's a 32 gun, frigate of the 8 pound gun class.

A bit of history... built 1755 in Brest. Not too much in the way of history available except for some highlights:

1756 - Carried troops to Quebec.

1757 - with Marsaint's divsion on the 21 Oct. A "most bloody conflict" with the British off Santo Domingo. No ships lost on either side, but a high casualty count.

1762 - expeditions against British shipping and the Sale pirates.

1778 - she was part of a small fleet in company with Le Belle Poule, Hirondelle and Le Coureur. They ran into Keppel's squadron. Licorne as surrounded and captured. La Belle Poule had a famous two-hour duel with the British and escaped to a nearby bay.

For the next five years it was known as HMS Licorne  in the British Navy.

1783 - Sold out of the service.

From the plans, it appears to be a good beginner scratchbuild. Clean lines, minimal carving. Some things from the Hahn plans needs changing such as the mast caps and the cannon rigging. I'm still researching via Boudriot and Frolich.

I'm planning on completely planking her, but that may change.

• harvey1847, Sherry, Dubz and 15 others like this

Mark

Current Build:

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
Wasa (Gallery)

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Up and running again, Mark!  Great stuff!

John

• mtaylor likes this

Augie

Augie

Ship's Cat

• Gone, but not forgotten
  • 5,488 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Sounds like a plan!  Nothing like getting right back on the horse. Save me a seat for when the voyage begins,

• mtaylor and dgbot like this
Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)
Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)
Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988
Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976
Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,241 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Yep, back on this old horse.   Seats are available but we'll have to wait on Sjors for popcorn. 

• Augie, avsjerome2003 and GLakie like this

Mark

Current Build:

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
Wasa (Gallery)

Sherry

Sherry
  • Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Great to see the new log up and running - will be looking forward to the first installment!

• mtaylor likes this

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

shipmodel

shipmodel
  • Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Mark -

I'm back on board and ready to enjoy the journey as you heave the capstan, splice the mainbrace, pay the devil, and all that other nautical stuff.

Dan

• mtaylor likes this

Current build -  SS Andrea Doria (1952)

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht,   Queen Anne's Revenge (1710)

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rustyj

Rustyj
  • Members
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationChittenango, NY

Yay! it's onward we go my friend! B) 

• mtaylor likes this

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Cutter CheerfulHMS Winchelsea,

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross Section

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

helmsman

helmsman

• Moderators
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, Utah

Good to see you back in business  :dancetl6:

• mtaylor likes this

Jeff Toma

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Constitution

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Following close, sir! =D

• mtaylor and avsjerome2003 like this

CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apprentice Wood-Hacker (3rdClass)

• Members
  • 2,544 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Where's that guy with the pop-corn ??

:pirate41:

• mtaylor, avsjerome2003 and GLakie like this

CaptainSteve

Current Build:   USS Constitution (Model Shipways)

My BathTub:     Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)      Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)

HMS Victory (Constructo)

Check It Out:    The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

DSiemens

DSiemens
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationDenver Co

Got my chair pulled up I'm ready to see the beginning of the master piece.   :D Good luck Mark.    

• mtaylor likes this

harvey1847

harvey1847
  • Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain, The Old Continent

I will be sitting just on the sofa looking your new log!

Best wishes Mark and good luck!

daniel.

• mtaylor likes this

Wintergreen

Wintergreen
  • Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationÅtvidaberg, Sweden

Hi Mark, I truly understand your decision. We learn as we go and I like the #9 point on your list "Its a hobby - have fun!"

I've marked a seat in the back row since I'm not that active at the moment.

• mtaylor likes this

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Gallery: BB Regina Build log: Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Dana

Billing Boats Wasa

Upcoming projects: TBD

AnobiumPunctatum

AnobiumPunctatum
  • Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Mark,

I wish yo a lot of fun with your beast. I'll follow your log with great interest.

• mtaylor and Chasseur like this

Regards Christian

In the shipyard: HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - Scale 1/32;

On the drawing board: Naval Cutter Rattlesnake, 1777 - Scale 1/32

gjdale

gjdale
  • Members
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia
Whew, just made it in time. Where's Sjors with the popcorn?

Looking forward to the all new and improved Licorne II Mark.
  • Wintergreen, mtaylor, Shipyard sid and 2 others like this

Grant

Current builds:

1949 Chris Craft 19' Racing Runabout - Dumas - Radio

Previous builds: Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section - ScratchbuildHMS Victory (Mamoli 1:90), Cutty Sark, Armed Pinnace, Bounty, Santa Maria

At another place: Stephenson's Rocket (OcCre 1:24) (click the title to follow the link)

In the Gallery: Lancia Armata 1803, Bomb Vessel Granada, 1742 Cross Section

Nenad

Nenad

mess maker

• Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • LocationSerbia, Belgrade

... waiting ... to be cannibalized ...

I like it !

• mtaylor likes this

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworl...ge-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworl...-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Mark,

You might use the MK1 for a ship wreck diorama.

Bob

• mtaylor likes this

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  Two Edwardian launches

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II

In the Gallary:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

capnharv2

capnharv2
  • Members
  • 787 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound

Or a shipyard diorama. Remember the Frigate Constellation was cannibalized for the Sloop Constellation.

• mtaylor likes this

themadchemist

themadchemist
  • Members
  • 2,519 posts

Wow, I've been off practicing my carving and checked in to MSW to find this surprise. What a brave attitude to restart such a large endeavor but as I've learned, that is just the way the ship building business works out sometime. Not stepping back was maybe what caused such disasters as the Wasa disaster.

I'm sure there is no fun in making such a momentous decision, but continuing while knowing would have destroyed the future of fun on the build. Sometimes the biggest setbacks are what make the journey so much more interesting, even through the disappointment. I think its good for beginners like myself to learn this lesson quickly and thank you for letting us experience it with you. Your not only an outstanding moderator but a shining example of this hobbies great builders and I consider you a mentor as you've help teach and motivate me in my endeavor towards always becoming better at this hobby.

I hope your old build log remains in the forum and you might consider linking it in your first post here, kind of like a ship wreck for others to see that even the best laid plans sometime go awry and require drastic measures to correct. I've always believed we learn WAY more from our mistakes then our successes and there is true benefit for others builder (especially new builders) to witness the issues of others and understand that this is part of the path to being better.

I'm looking forward to seeing more FUN.

On a side note, As I looked over my ANCRE Le Requin plans yesterday and thought about your experience here I questioned....

I've considered ordering the Amati Xebec plans and building a POB (I prefer the smaller 1:60) as a practice run before attempting a full POF. Something to help get a feel for the shape and lay of the ship. You mentioned the problems of using 2 sets of plans and I'd use each set for each build ( i.e. ANCRE for the 1:48 POF and the Amati for the 1:60 POB). My main reasoning for this is I'm lazy and don't wish to rescale the 1:48 plans to 1:60.

Would you recommend this as a good practice or a waste of time. I guess what I'm asking, had you build a POB structure prior to the POF, would it have helped point out issues and helped prevent this for you?

Thanks for your sharing of experience, I find living vicariously though others builds very helpful in learning. As I start my 2nd year building I am amazed at the levels I've achieved and all credit goes to MSW and her community. Without MSW I'd have surely given up in frustration. It really makes me appreciate those that have build prior to the internet forums for support. 

To one of the best, Mark!  :cheers: Cheers and may the sailing be smooth from here for you!

Edited by themadchemist, 27 January 2014 - 05:41 PM.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, dgbot and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.