Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

After cleaning up the shipyard a bit, here goes....   New framing wood has been ordered but due to Jeff at Hobbymill's schedule it won't be here until late (very late) April.  I'm planning on using up my existing stock of swiss pear, ebony, pear, silver maple, and cherry and maybe some boxwood if I see fit. 

At this stage, I'm poring over the plans and notating such things as wale, gunport, and deck clamp locations on the individual frame drawings as I'm planning on putting some reference points on the frames physically as I cut them.  This should solve some of my previous issues..  With 60 frames, this is going to take a bit.

I have a new build board laid out and prepped but not cut.  The frame reference board is ready to go.

I'm still making a final decision on whether to stick with cherry or go with boxwood for the keel, stem, and stern items.   Version 1.0 sits forlornly in another part of the shipyard waiting for various bits and pieces to be cannibalized.  I'll be re-using my old fabricated measuring tools and making some new ones.

Hopefully, by the time the framing stock arrives, all the plans will be annotated and scanned, all the bits and pieces from V 1.0 will be cannibalized, and bunches of new bits will be fabricated and then ready and waiting.  post-76-0-07669300-1390783653.gif

It's time to do this beast right and proper... and to have some fun doing it.

Footnotes to the build:  I'm adding to this as I discover things.

The Hahn plans lack a lot of details so additional sources will be needed.

a) Hahn's "Ships of the American Revolution" is a must to understand the building method.

b)  I also recommend the "La Belle Poule" monograph from ANCRE.  This has period bits and pieces along with the proper rigging as Hahn used La Venus which has pointed out to me as being from a later period.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here's the seemingly mandatory history:

This ship caught my attention the first time I saw the plans because it had a white flag. Laughed a bit until I researched it. But then the lines caught my eye. She's a 32 gun, frigate of the 8 pound gun class.

A bit of history... built 1755 in Brest. Not too much in the way of history available except for some highlights:

1756 - Carried troops to Quebec.

1757 - with Marsaint's divsion on the 21 Oct. A "most bloody conflict" with the British off Santo Domingo. No ships lost on either side, but a high casualty count.

1762 - expeditions against British shipping and the Sale pirates.

1778 - she was part of a small fleet in company with Le Belle Poule, Hirondelle and Le Coureur. They ran into Keppel's squadron. Licorne as surrounded and captured. La Belle Poule had a famous two-hour duel with the British and escaped to a nearby bay.

For the next five years it was known as HMS Licorne  in the British Navy.

1783 - Sold out of the service.

From the plans, it appears to be a good beginner scratchbuild. Clean lines, minimal carving. Some things from the Hahn plans needs changing such as the mast caps and the cannon rigging. I'm still researching via Boudriot and Frolich.

I'm planning on completely planking her, but that may change.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sounds like a plan!  Nothing like getting right back on the horse. Save me a seat for when the voyage begins,

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Yep, back on this old horse.   Seats are available but we'll have to wait on Sjors for popcorn. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark -

I'm back on board and ready to enjoy the journey as you heave the capstan, splice the mainbrace, pay the devil, and all that other nautical stuff.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Yay! it's onward we go my friend! B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Where's that guy with the pop-corn ??

:pirate41:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Got my chair pulled up I'm ready to see the beginning of the master piece.   :D Good luck Mark.    

Hi Mark, I truly understand your decision. We learn as we go and I like the #9 point on your list "Its a hobby - have fun!"

I've marked a seat in the back row since I'm not that active at the moment.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Mark,

I wish yo a lot of fun with your beast. I'll follow your log with great interest.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Whew, just made it in time. Where's Sjors with the popcorn?

Looking forward to the all new and improved Licorne II Mark.

... waiting ... to be cannibalized ...

I like it !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Mark,

You might use the MK1 for a ship wreck diorama.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Wow, I've been off practicing my carving and checked in to MSW to find this surprise. What a brave attitude to restart such a large endeavor but as I've learned, that is just the way the ship building business works out sometime. Not stepping back was maybe what caused such disasters as the Wasa disaster.

I'm sure there is no fun in making such a momentous decision, but continuing while knowing would have destroyed the future of fun on the build. Sometimes the biggest setbacks are what make the journey so much more interesting, even through the disappointment. I think its good for beginners like myself to learn this lesson quickly and thank you for letting us experience it with you. Your not only an outstanding moderator but a shining example of this hobbies great builders and I consider you a mentor as you've help teach and motivate me in my endeavor towards always becoming better at this hobby.

I hope your old build log remains in the forum and you might consider linking it in your first post here, kind of like a ship wreck for others to see that even the best laid plans sometime go awry and require drastic measures to correct. I've always believed we learn WAY more from our mistakes then our successes and there is true benefit for others builder (especially new builders) to witness the issues of others and understand that this is part of the path to being better.

I'm looking forward to seeing more FUN.

On a side note, As I looked over my ANCRE Le Requin plans yesterday and thought about your experience here I questioned....

I've considered ordering the Amati Xebec plans and building a POB (I prefer the smaller 1:60) as a practice run before attempting a full POF. Something to help get a feel for the shape and lay of the ship. You mentioned the problems of using 2 sets of plans and I'd use each set for each build ( i.e. ANCRE for the 1:48 POF and the Amati for the 1:60 POB). My main reasoning for this is I'm lazy and don't wish to rescale the 1:48 plans to 1:60.

Would you recommend this as a good practice or a waste of time. I guess what I'm asking, had you build a POB structure prior to the POF, would it have helped point out issues and helped prevent this for you?

Thanks for your sharing of experience, I find living vicariously though others builds very helpful in learning. As I start my 2nd year building I am amazed at the levels I've achieved and all credit goes to MSW and her community. Without MSW I'd have surely given up in frustration. It really makes me appreciate those that have build prior to the internet forums for support. 

To one of the best, Mark!  :cheers: Cheers and may the sailing be smooth from here for you!

Edited by themadchemist

This truly should be awesome!!

Can't wait!

=)

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

that's the spirit Mark............don't let no moss grow under those wheels of yorn!   hey.......whilst we're wait'in fer the festivities ta start,  how's about we gits that Gallegar fella over there,  ta put a whoop'in on that carcass afta ya done stripp'in 'er.....whaddya say???

{bet spell check hates me now........HUH!!!!!} :D :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Mark,

I have not been ignoring you, far from that.  My heart goes out to you and wish you all the best with your renewed efforts.  I like to add my thoughts to your very brave decision to start over with your build.  I fully understand your motives, when something is just not fixable to your satisfaction then there is really no other choice.

I have torn up many a drawing or watercolor pieces because it was not to my satisfaction and besides that I could never sell such a piece with my name on it.  Several oil paintings have been scraped down and over-paintd for the same reason.   Right now i have such a piece on my drawing table, it'll be torn up.

I like to think that your bold step is a motivation to others, not so much as to arbitrarily wreck a model and start over but to check and recheck drawings , guide material, etc. to make sure everything jibes.  

Yes, I had to redo several things on my submarine model because I received data after I assumed how things looked like without having the real drawings.

I'll also be following your new build and with all the experience you have now gained it'll be a master piece.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I have a set of Hahn's plans for this and will try to follow what changes that you make and someday maybe I'll give it a go also. To many others things to do between now and then for me.

So I'll be sitting back watching the first string go in to do their thing.

Lots of Good Wishes to you on this!!

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Hi Mark, I quietly followed your first Licorne build and thought you were doing a fine job, but I also understand your frustration with things that cause errors, and mistakes, and once they start compounding on each other they begin to spiral out of control.  We the builders are our own worst critics, as it should be, so we must please ourselves first before anyone else.  Being a fellow perfectionist we must always try do our best, but also realize that at some point our best is a good as it's going to get - whether that stacks up to a master builder or not is not the point.  

I was sorry to see you start over, but I fully understand your reasoning. And, more than likely the lessons you learned on V1 will quickly apply in a positive way on V2 and you'll not only have better results but faster as well!

Good luck!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Thanks again for the wonderful comments and support everyone.

One of the previous problems I had was no definitive reference points.  This led to more than a few errors in the heat of battle... err.. building. 

I'm adding some things to the frame drawings...  the cutline is being defined as are the wale locations, gunport, and deck clamps.  Hahn defines these on his framing diagram but then suggests that we cut up his plans and use them to mark up the hull...  :(   I'm planning on "nicking" gently the frame at some of these points such as cutline, wales, putting in a nub to mount the deck clamps on, and as before, pre-cutting out the gunport area.   I've also marked the frame drawings with lines at the outside/bottom edge of the build board so I don't make the frames over long.

The frame in the pic doesn't have any gunport work but is representative and I still have another 54 frames to do...  :o

post-76-0-68166300-1390890291_thumb.jpg

Lastly, I've mounted the framing diagram (since it has 95% of the reference points I need) on a piece of Masonite.  When I'm done verifying each frame, I'll glue a strip of wood to overlay the baseboard line.  This will give me a positive reference point when using the EdT Measuring Tool.  Again, I know I had some issues getting the bottom end dead on the line for the base board consistently. 

For those who haven't see it, it's a great tool for transferring reference points from plans to the build.  It came from Ed's Naiad build.  Mine is made from boxwood with some brass fittings and a steel thumbscrew.

post-76-0-24944500-1390890998_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Footnotes to a build log.

I'll update this one periodically as I find stuff that's not "correct" in the sense of the way things were actually done.

1) The framing and frame spaces are not correct.  Hahn used the English method and not the French.  The French didn't use cant frames or sistered frames at this point in time. Hahn's information on room and spaces was incorrect.  Which, is another good reason to fully plank.  However, primary Admiralty Orders:  all ships to be fully planked..  <mumble mumble>

2) Mast tops and details such as blocks.... again, these are English.  The French parts were different.

3) Cannon.   Once again, these are English and not French.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great to see you back in the saddle Mark :) It is really surprising that there are so many errors in Harold Hahn's plans.My only question Mark,is as you intend to fully plank,why not produce one piece frames from ply and have a solid area below the lower deck if this area is to be covered?Just curious,so please don't bite my head off :)

Kind Regards Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I agree with Nigel - why not just build her POB since Hahns plans do not depict accurate framing and you intend to fully plank anyway.  Frolich has a couple magnificent examples of POB builds in his book that look better than quite a few full frame builds to say the least.  

Edited by ChrisLBren

No biting...  :)  That's a fair and valid question and I did think about it to the point I went looking for wood.  The bad news there was that the available ply is all warped beyond belief.  I tried two DIY home improvement stores and 3 art supply stores.   The DIY stores had 1/4" ply (nothing smaller), very warped and one side was horrible being rough and splintery and full of knots.  I asked at both and they said "that's what we get lately.. it's all coming from (fill in Asian country... the big one)".  The art stores between the 3 of them didn't have enough (either 1/8" or 3/16") to fill my needs and their wood while better, still gave concerns as it was warped and only 3-ply and not 5-ply which is more stable.  I dunno... maybe it's because it's winter?  :huh:

So.. I told myself, I need the practice. ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: