How To : Add Pictures in your Posts and PMs

Hi

I thought I would share the way I put my pictures on MS2.

I found a site where you can upload your photo's and get from these uploaded photo's a URL. This URL you can use to put photo's in your built log with simply one click on the Image in the text edit beam. It would be nice if we had some sort of Gallery (of not finished models ;) ) where you can upload your photo's and get a URL. This way is very simple to use.

Cheers :cheers:

Nick

Nick :cheers:

Model building Projects in progress:

- Hermione la Fayette, Artesania Latina:

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

Mark-

Windows 7, IE 11.  I think the IE just came in this week is that the problem?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You may try using Google Chrome. This browser is much better and a lot of things are better supported.

Ik have heard IE11 causes virusus and speed problems :)

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

Augie most likely its IE 11 yup. you should be able to uninstall it :

go to control panel/ programs and features and then select installed updates

you ll get a big list . look for IE 11 update  and then uninstall it . that should get you back to IE10

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Thanks Adrieke.  I'll just wait to hear from Mark.  Have spent way too much time on this machine this week and when that IE 11 came in I just stuck it in without thinking.  I'm sure you're correct.  Coming from the paper and pencil era, I live in deadly fear of these electronic 'improvements'.  Every time one comes up it seems I've got to disable it......and that's when smoke starts coming out of my machine.  So this is progress?????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

software companies always launch new products before they are well tested so its always a good idea to wait till the first patch or service pack comes out ;)

Adieke-  Figured out how to get back to IE 10 based on your instructions.  It worked!  I can post photos again.  And my machine didn't self destruct.

Can't thank you enough.

MARK-  Thanks for helping out.  All is well.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi guys

can anybody help me with a problem I have with uploading pictures in the Completed kit models sectipn?

I tried several times to upload pictures (jpg), one by one, following the instructions on the topic, but I keep getting the

message that the file is too big to upload!

Not being a computer whiz, I don't know how to solve the problem.

thanks in advance for the help!

Costas,

If you're using a Windows based machine, just use Paint to resize them. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Costas,

If you wan't to resize a big amount of photo's at the same time, use FastStone Photo Resizer. Simple to use and fast!

You can find it here: http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Cheers :cheers:

Nick

Edited by NickvN

costas

next time you take pictures set your camera to 2 MP. the pictures will be about 0.5MB big so well below the 2MB and still with plenty of detail

that's how I take all my pics

• 6 months later...

Here's a problem that I hope someone can solve for me.  On several occasions -- both in my own build log and in postings I've made in other people's logs -- photos have disappeared.  Previously, I just uploaded them again, but my hard drive recently crashed and I've lost all my old pictures.  But for future reference, I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong when I upload them, or is this just a glitch in the site?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

Back in March during server maintenance, there was a hiccup and some photos got lost.  The problem has been resolved but the lost photos were not able to be restored.  The whole thing is here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6021-server-maintenance-scheduled/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark.  I thought the problem might have come from that issue, but wasn't sure.  Another Rattlesnake builder has told me that he saved many of my photos, so it might just work out.

Cheers (from an old, displaced Oregonian),

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I am unable to add text by cut copy and pasting  to my last post [see King of Mississippi by Rick]. The my media button is new to me but it seems to work, but not for text.

And please don't blame it on IE 11. Just tell what settings I need to change.

Rick

Hello Rick,

It is possible to just select the text from Word and do the copy/past.

After uploading the pictures, did you choose the 'Add to Post' option?

1) Open the Edit box by clicking the 'Edit' button at the bottom of your last post. 

2) Upload the picture and place the cursor where you want the picture to be added a

3) Click on 'Add to Post'

4) You can now paste the appropriate text for the picture

5) Click on preview to see if the layout is ok

6) Click 'Submit modified Post'

You already uploaded the pictures. You can:

1) Remove the codes in your post first.  Then do steps 3 till 6.

2) Or make space between the picture codes by pressing the Enter key. Then copy/paste your text under the appropriate picture.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Thanks, Anja for helping me solve this problem,

Related to your first question, the 'Add to Post' option has not been clickable for me for quite a while. What happens most of the time, is the photos automatically become 'Attached Thumbnails' at the end of the text that I had typed in the edit box.

The last few attempts in posting I kept losing all of the text and photos to a 'This page cannot be displayed' page which kicks me out of the MSW website when I hit the 'Post' button. That is why I save my typing  to Word and expect to paste the saved text into the next time I try to 'Post' a message on my build log.

Your list of steps to add a post is the way it used to work for me. Step #3, 'Add to Post' seems to be where  things go wrong in my current attempts at posting.

Rick

Hello Rick,

Just an idea.

Have you checked your picture size?

If the pictures are to,big the page won't load.

Try keeping your pictures smaller than 1 MB.

1200 x 1600 is the maximum size in pixels.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Rick,

I think you seriously need to reconsider the IE11.   Or try Google Chrome or Firefox.  You can run IE and Chrome and Firefox if need be.

There is a bug in IE11 that's causing this.  Elsewhere, Jim H. (board owner) has said he is communicating with the board software team on a fix.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

I didn't think that there was any differences between browsers. I have always had good luck with Internet Explorer since practically my first computer in the late 1980's. But I tried Google Chrome as a test, and yessiree, it made a world of difference and solve the posting problem as well as sped up responses from your server.

I think you should tell all newcomers to absolutely not use IE 11. The site may be losing newbies because of this incompatibility.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

Rick,

We've been telling users that when they have issues (about IE11).  Yes, there's a big difference in browsers.  For example, if you hate ads, use Firefox and it's Adblock add-on.   However, they all have their advantages and disadvantages and it's usually not the same ones for each.

Having said all that... MS did release a pretty hefty update to IE11 but I haven't loaded up 11 or the updates to see if they work.   I guess I'm getting lazy since I retired from IT..  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have been trying to start a new a new topic in the museums and ship models section. I put in the title,write text and upload pix,preview the topic and all looks ok but get no joy. I have read Dannys´post. I have no edit or use full editor captions showing, the only boxes I have are underneath both of which show "post new topic" and "preview topic". I tried the new topic button and that did not give me any edit or post button,believe me,I looked everywhere. I am obviously doing something wrong but have no idea what. I have also tried both basic and advanced method of trying to post with no joy. My laptop runs Windows 7 and I am using Firefox. I have no problems attaching pix to ordinary emails. I should add that I am a computer numpty  :(  Hope someone can help.

Dave :dancetl6:

Edited by davyboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I use photo bucket,  found that after entering the reply page and pressing the small square in top left hand corner that I can post pictures ok.

Not sure if this has been said already .

Foxy :piratebo5:

Edited by foxy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janet,

Was this a test?  If not, I can move it to the Latest Full Profile Photograph of your Build -  Topic.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: