Steamship Heinrich Kayser by Nils Langemann - scale 1:96-1898- as she appeared in 1922 - Finished

super workmanship........superb looking build!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you so much for your Kind and appreciative words,

Bindy, Crackers, Richard and Popeye and also many thanks to all other fellow members,for their Kind words, comments, questions, and appreciative pressing the "I like" Buttons. I feel very honored that this build log was so much liked through the building sequences. This provides me pleasure to prepare the next build log project

Now to round up the Project I shall post the two last parts today also comprising a short look at the glass case making for dust protection, which is a must for such a model. It may have been recognized that the Pictures of the completed model are to be seen in my Album in "Gallery of scratch built completed models"

If there should raise questions, comments,etc. to the build log parts, please feel free to ask me at any time, I shall be happy to answer

Again, thanks for being tuned in - Auf Wiedersehen-

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

build log part 20

post-3445-0-26524700-1391938868_thumb.jpg

a Little wooden chunk laying over two lower bulkhead portions takes up the press-in M5 nut for safely anchoring the stand bolts through the keel from beneath

post-3445-0-80230400-1391938870_thumb.jpg

when I bought this coil of self adhesive alunminium foil I found it quite exspensive at 55,- Euros, but I am so pleased with the Quality an its well protected and effective glue film. If I remember right there once must have been appr 50 meters on the 10 cm broad roll, this enabling 4 models to be plated with and still there is enough for at least one further one to be plated.

post-3445-0-45396600-1391938875_thumb.jpg

Here the baseboard with bulkhead positioning rails glued on (made from gathered old rocket sticks, newyear trash)

post-3445-0-96572800-1391938879_thumb.jpg

The lifesaver rings I found at Billing Boats (nominal 12x12mm)would be in HO scale

post-3445-0-90136600-1391938881_thumb.jpg

this Little 3,6 Inch Long Gem I found at Ebay once it is the rare Mercator # 069 made, scale 1:1250 tin cast "Bielefeld", a sistership of the Heinrich Kayser. Only difference to the Heinrich Kayser : Arrangement, lifeboats behind the work boats

post-3445-0-93675100-1391938882_thumb.jpg

Here an illustrated Book cover showing a very nice watercolour painting of the Bielefeld in typical Deutsch-Australische-Dampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft funnel colours, steaming through the Northsea, this painting was performed by marine Artist Henry Albrecht. The original painting is probably in private hands

post-3445-0-30004000-1391938919_thumb.jpg

here a very nice Picture of the USS Camden ex "Kiel" also a sistership that served for the US Navy, it is still bearing the old ratlines in the shrouds, as well as a second crows nest in the upper foremast

Build log (last part)part 21 to follow....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Build log part 21 (this is the last part)

This covers the self-built Heinrich Kayser`s glass dust-protection case

post-3445-0-55336100-1391942059_thumb.jpg

first doing a sample, trial Corner Arrangement, enabling exact calculation of all to be cut lengths and for the to be ordered glass pannels from the crafters

post-3445-0-60667000-1391942064_thumb.jpg

and a sample of the brass Corner pattern

post-3445-0-74092000-1391942069_thumb.jpg

cutting out with a hand-jigsaw (metal blade)

post-3445-0-12051900-1391942075_thumb.jpg

the glass pane bonnet 142 x 22 x 57 cm with its 4mm thick glass is quite heavy and it takes two persons to handle it very carfully.

post-3445-0-54423200-1391942076_thumb.jpg

today I use different brass Corners and screws than These shown here, but to push out the boat....

post-3445-0-01267200-1391942077_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-62151000-1391942077_thumb.jpg

the inner Corners are provided with slightly oversize sleeves that take up the positioning Pins on the case-baseplate

post-3445-0-01151800-1391942082_thumb.jpg

the Frame Wood parts due to the required lengths have to be shafted

post-3445-0-57014800-1391942086_thumb.jpg

i Chose cherry-stain for Wood for the case, which provides a nice warm tone, and then sealed with two coats of dull-gloss clear varnish

post-3445-0-36759900-1391942091_thumb.jpg

I have to date made 5 cases by this way, all still in good solid condition and easy to clean

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I am quite happy with this construction John, it is also affordable

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 6 months later...

Hi Nils.  I'm totally gobsmacked!!!  What an incredible piece of workmanship, craftsmanship, precision and beauty that you've created.  The fact that you have a special family connection makes this ship even more special.. I hope that your children will treasure it as much as we have all enjoyed and marvelled at looking at your construction journey.

You are a seriously talented craftsman!

All the best. 

many thanks Omega,

very kind, nice and appreciative and encouraging words of yours....

I also hope and wish it may be treasured by my family followers, but I ca`nt take that for sure...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Greg,

thank you for dropping in to the  Steamship log

I`m glad you liked it,  (was my first completed build log to MSW)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 7 months later...

Thank you very much Crumete69,

for dropping in, I`m glad you like the Steamer....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Carl,

thanks for your nice comment, with this model it was the first time I tried out the metal plating (rivet structure), like I do now on all historic models that resemble the steel built plated hull before the welding technique took over ....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 months later...

Nils - 

Just linked to your log.  What a wonderful model.  I will be 'borrowing' a number of your techniques if I am ever asked to do a riveted hull.  Fortunately, the Andrea Doria does not need them.  It makes life a lot simpler.

Congratulations on an excellent piece of work.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Dan,

I`m glad you like it, ....

most of the sequences will be repeated, only mounting in a different hull shape with my new KWdG Project. The log of the "Heinrich Kayser" is quite extensive in showing the build sequences and I´ll be happy if you can adopt the one or other Thing for your Project. If i can help, please feel free to contact me

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Thanks for sharing this build log. Obviously a poignant subject for yourself with the tragic family connection.

But a beautifully executed model , the metal workingis superb as is the hull construction and realistic plating. This is the self adhesive aluminium foil that you referred to i n your current log......what's it normally used for? I take its not specifically designed for us ship modelmakers!

Shall be following your current log closely

Cheers....mick

Mick,

thanks for your words,...

the Aluminium foil  I found on the web once, from a German based Company that produces thin metal foils and distributes those through wholesalers in large quantities. It took some persuding to ask for selling me a sample in exeption. I think the smallest quantity was 50 meters. The foil is 0,125 mm thick plus adhesive gluefilm and has a waxed paper protection foil on the backside. I did several Trials with different  small samples from other suppliers with the self made Ponce Tools, but this 0,125 mm it worked out with best results, also with reference to the glue Quality.

Unfortunately I do`nt really know where the foil is used for in industrial Engineering, I heared once that for example that steel plate traffic signboards along the road are coated with this foil after Offset printing those

I do hope that the remaining rest will last for my KWdG Project as well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 5 years later...

It was nice to revisit this wonderful model Nils. so many neat and interesting details and neat little tricks.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Good afternoon Michael,

thanks for revisiting the build log, and I`m pleased that you enjoyed it....

Best regards, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Schikutan said:

Ich möchte mich für diese Gelegenheit der Betrachtung bei Ihnen recht herzlich bedanken. Ist der Bewunderung ob der Perfektion in Handwerk, Text, Dokumentation und Ihrer Bilder kaum etwas hinzuzufügen. Ein riesengroßes Dankeschön, Gerhard

Translation:   I would like to thank you very much for this opportunity to look at it. There is hardly anything to add to the admiration for the perfection in craftsmanship, text, documentation and your pictures. A huge thank you, Gerhard

Gerhard,  Dies ist eine englischsprachige Website. Bitte verwenden Sie Google oder andere Websites, um zu übersetzen und zu posten. Dankeschön.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 10:08 PM, mtaylor said:

Translation:   I would like to thank you very much for this opportunity to look at it. There is hardly anything to add to the admiration for the perfection in craftsmanship, text, documentation and your pictures. A huge thank you, Gerhard

Gerhard,  Dies ist eine englischsprachige Website. Bitte verwenden Sie Google oder andere Websites, um zu übersetzen und zu posten. Dankeschön.

Many thanks Gerhard,

I`m very pleased you liked the build, thank you for your kind words...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed