Brian C

HMY Fubbs by Brian C

43 posts in this topic

Well I thought it was time to upload a few snaps of my first attempt of scratch building a model. This is a royal yacht of Charles 11 of England circa 1682. I followed the plans by Portia Takakjian and also Reverend William Romero's practicum. The model has been quite a challenge for my limited skills. I have only built kits before.post-232-0-53793300-1391414790.jpg

This is the royal cabin with parquetry flooring under construction.

post-232-0-54576800-1391414809.jpg

Side profile showing boxwood planking and ebony wales. I have fully treenailed the planking.

post-232-0-41279400-1391414858.jpg

Deck under construction before installing the gratings

.post-232-0-50295800-1391414888.jpg

This is cherry framing which is left exposed.

post-232-0-45468400-1391414905_thumb.jpg

Stern galley under construction. I cheated with the decorations. I tried to carve them from boxwood with a mediocre result, so I made them from sculpty modellers putty and painted them gold.

post-232-0-90313700-1391414920.jpg

Side profile of my rigging. I made my own ropes with Alexey Domanoff's ropewalk machine. Another first for me.

I would like to add that the tackle blocks are from the Siren company and the cannons are aftermarket ones. I thought its easier to purchase them than to spend hours turning brass. 

All the timber was purchased from Jeff at Hobbymill.

Frank Blackstone likes this

Glad to see some pictures at last Brian. Don't know why you've been reluctant to show these before - it looks like you've been doing a first class job!

NMBROOK and Bindy like this

Brian,

Challenge or not, you've certainly risen to it, and produced a model to be proud of. As has been said, I wouldn't have believed it was your first scratch build.

Hello Brian, 

I like very much your build, it certainly doesn't show to be your first. Great job. And for the carved figures, I don't believe you "cheated" at all by doing them in Sculpey. They do look very nice and it's just a matter of choice if you did them by carving or by modelling them in modelling clay. The end result is what is important, and your result is certainly impressive.  

After all, our friend Doris does her beautiful figures in this way too and  I don't believe this can be said that she cheated.. and nor is it true for you.

So congratulations, I really like your Fubbs! Great work! 

WackoWolf, gjdale and Bindy like this

Brian

I wish I had as you put it your "limited skills"

Glad to see that you have posted your fabulous work and I am looking forward to seeing your HM.Y Fubbs live

Geoff

Edited by Aussie048
Bindy likes this

Brian, i'll gladly trade your limited skills for mine :)

Superb little model - when did you finish it? Aren't you building the Royal William at the same time?

Well Brian, Well done Sir. A very nice job and one that I would be proud of for sure. And how did you do the coloured floor?

Michael

Michael, the coloured floor was parquetry strips which I assembled and glued to the floor of the royal cabin.

thanks for the kind remarks everyone.

mtaylor, avsjerome2003, egkb and 1 other like this

Brian

You are obviously very proud of your fine work and you should be.

Soak it all up mate

Geoff

Edited by Aussie048

Hi Brian,

Your model is simply stunning!  Out of interest for us newbies, how many kits have you completed prior to this scratch build.

Just want to know whether I will live long enough to create something like this!

Rod

Brian C likes this

Brian, your model is looking really good. I got the drawings and the practicum at Christmas. I thought a little bit if I start her or my cutter.

If I look at your pictures I am quite sure that she will be a really nice model for the future.

Brian C likes this

excellent build, Brian. :o  I have Portia's book and the Fubbs is a beautiful little yacht. I, like you, have used Sculpy but for my next build I will bite the bullet and do  boxwood carvings.

Dick

Brian C likes this