Triton by mtaylor - FINISHED - 1:48 - Cross-section

Here's the pics for my Triton Build.  First up was test build of one of the cannon done in 1:24th

post-76-0-98271100-1360959306_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-25293700-1360959308_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-66610400-1360959309_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-97566700-1360959310_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-02621300-1360959312_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And here's the cross-section stuff:

post-76-0-44957000-1360959472_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-19705300-1360959471_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-61324100-1360959422_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-96601200-1360959429_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-13458700-1360959461_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-56911000-1360959417_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-54013700-1360959420_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-79580900-1360959469_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-51796700-1360959463_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard of skimping on the cost of a build but this ship is gonna draw water from both ends. It'll go down faster then the Wasa :D

BTW, Love your Wasa.Ive seen her built with different colours but really love that lighter blue you used.

Seriously, I love these cut-aways. Have you considered adding more detail to the lower decks, i.e. barrels, ballast rock...

Looking at the side view you really get an idea of how cramped that second deck is, Look 5' something. Going to sea would suck for 6'2'' people like me.

Keith

Edited by themadchemist

Thanks Keith.   It was tight in there, no doubt.  My Licorne is even tighter... 4 foot from deck to deck on the berth deck.  3 foot if add in the beams. 

As for finishing it.. it's done.  I gave it to my late father-in-law at this point in the construction and he had it about a year and half, maybe a bit more.  After he passed, the Trition came home and I decided leave it as is.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sorry to here of your loss, and completely understand.

Something's have more value because of sentiment. I recently bought the Midwest Dinghy to build for my Mom-in-law. Its always been kinda a term of endearment between us. I was wanting to gold leaf her name on the transom.

Wow 3 ft under the beams, was it run by Hobbits, sheesh at 6'2", Id have to crawl.

Keith

I've totally overseen the picture of your section

Really nice, Mark.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank Christian.  This one got buried really fast after the re-start of MSW. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Sinan.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark:

Beautifully constructed model. It really came out nice. Great work.

Russ

Thanks Dave and Russ.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark, just caught up with your Triton log, beautiful work, Sir, fittings, guns, framing, planking are all perfectly done, thank you for sharing this magnificent build :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thank you for the kind words, Aldo and Paddy.  It really was a fun project.  So much fun, I'm thinking of doing another one at some point.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

wonderful work, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 year later...

Mark,

Very nice.

Do the plans supplied include everything shown in your final picture, i.e., decking, posts, cannon, etc.?

Thanks

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Mark,

Do the section at either end of that one, and sooner than later you'll have it all in sections.  Great work.  Beautiful!

Walt Biles

Thanks for looking in and the comments and likes.

Mark,

Very nice.

Do the plans supplied include everything shown in your final picture, i.e., decking, posts, cannon, etc.?

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

They do indeed contain everything.   It's a great project to get a taste of scratch-building.

Mark,

Do the section at either end of that one, and sooner than later you'll have it all in sections.  Great work.  Beautiful!

Walt Biles

No can do, Walt.  The cross-section has some things that are slightly different and simplified and thus won't fit into the larger full Triton Build. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 11 months later...

Well get the mess cleaned up. Me dog loves rum.  So bring another bottle and glass for yourself.

One of these days, I ought to finish and put it in a case.  But somehow, I just can't bring myself to going any further on this one.  Too many memories.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 years later...

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me