If you want to simulate gold leaf on a budget,the Testor's square bottle gold is the way to go!

Is that the Testors enamel or one of their other brands?

It looks great.

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

• 2 months later...

I have done my testing with different brands of paint and found the Vallejo paint outstanding, now I wonder how its' gold would stand out?

Testing will tell. :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Something else to try that I have used in 1/12 scale figure painting is gold printers ink. It needs to be mixed with a carrier like boiled linseed oil but it makes for a ver convincing gold leaf. I bought an ounce years ago and have barley used 10%. A little goes a long way. It's also available in silver cooper and bronze.

Al D.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

There is a product used by plastic modelers to simulate metal finished. Its called Alclad. This video is for chrome, but they have a gold also. I have some of this gold stuff and plan to use it in the gold metallic parts of my Royal Louis.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

That is very shiney! Thank you for the video. I must invest in one of those air guns. I see there is a thread on here for them so I will poke around. Cheers.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

To any considering Alcad paints, be sure the surface you apply them to is absolutely blemish-free, as they go on very thin and show every imperfection underneath. I've never tried them on wood, only styrene. Also keep in mind they are nearly impossible to hand-brush since they dry so quickly. They are designed for airbrushing. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

All of the gilding on my Soleil Royal build is done with Testors Gold enamel.  I am very pleased with the results.  The one thing you have to make sure of is that you stir or remix the paint frequently.  Even after very short periods of time the pigment starts to settle out and the finish starts to go on very dull.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I just handled the golden metal parts in my Royal Louis, and my hands became sprinkled with something like fairy dust. (Where are you Tinkerbell? :) :))

So what I am planning to do is just dip the whole batch in thinner, strip all the paint in them and paint them again. I will probably use Alclad, as I have a bottle of that stuff laying around for maybe a couple of years.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Testors gold is what I use on my San Felipe and I am very happy with the results. Just as Henry has cautioned, it needs to be mixed frequently as does any metallic paint.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower