Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

Hey, buck, thanks. After the pictures I thought it coud be better, than I´m thinkin´ on some colors and details. Ty!

Max, I´ll go for silk. The bed is already on silk and I´ll give some more for cushions and the like ^^. When I get some extra time I´ll think about making u a new bed :P  Ty for passing by and words.

Some new pics from my cabin. Got two days working on my furniture - now I´ll make the floor. ^^

post-8919-0-94705300-1394343159_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-69663100-1394343166_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-77008400-1394343173_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-96863500-1394343181_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-45579100-1394343189_thumb.jpg

Hola Mija,

The furniture looks beautiful and I believe it would be nice if you can also add rugs and/or paintings to the walls. Keep up the good work, I can hardly wait for the next installment.

Tu amigo,

Raymond

Wow Viv.Those little things look so real. You are doing a great job here. Keep on it!!!

Besos.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

now.......that's awesome!   very nice work on the furniture ;)   your moving right along and doing a very nice job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Raymond, that´s a good idea. Probably some paintings or calligraphy work. Brigada!!

Sam, thank u. You´r clearly exagerating, but I get happy anyways. :D

Ulises, thanks. I´m thinking in giving a little enameled finish to the chest and desk - I´ll try it at least.

Popeye, glad u passed by. On my way to do a nice cabin for my ship ^^

How about a nice big Gong ? ;)

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Well, some more pictures - have been working on cabin to finally go back to other parts of the ship.

post-8919-0-09605300-1395020695_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-15636300-1395020702_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-48234400-1395020707_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-11259800-1395020713_thumb.jpg

Hope u like it. ^^

Now that is a fabulous cabin.  Hopefully you have a good idea of what's in Chinese on the hangings?  Hate to hear it was something nasty.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, they´re part of sutras on the grass style, copied from a caligrapher from the song dinasty on the Ming dinasty - That´s what would be found in most official buildings since during the Yuan and Ming dinasty the neo-confucionism was the ruling philosophy - and the explanation why the emperor and noble families were who they were. The two of them are parts of the heart sutra, one of the most important sutras for Buddhists.

Sam, ty!! :D  yep, that´s an operating lantern - led over there. The cabin will have some light when closed. ^^

Hi Vivian

are you a professional interior designer? Looks like - speciality east-asia? :) Your Cabin looks so great - how will you manage that this treasures can be watched after your ship is done?

Best wishes

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Sam, after studying a thesis regarding lights on ships, came to the conclusion that candles weren´t used in those times, not in ships. I´m working on some small pieces to put on my desk, though - working with tin for that matter. ^^

Hey, Max. I worked with banks´ interior design, but east asia is my first shot!! :P  After the cabin is closed, there´ll be 4 windows (2 on each side) and 2 doors to peer inside. Doors will be functional, so u can let it closed and open only to take a look inside from another angle. ^^

I like the added detail in the cabin......it looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Do you have a shrink ray you haven't told us about? Detailed cabin down to the period writings on the wall and photos that make you feel like your walking in the door. Makes me wonder. ;) jk. Fantastic work!

Hola Mija,

I've just finished going over your latest posts and they look wonderful. You have put more thought into your Red Dragon than Ive put into my Vietnamese Junk. I will continue to look into your progress. Keep up the good work.

Your work is just incredible Vivian and such an inspiration to everyone!

I am amazed at the accuracy and level of detail of what you are doing, but it is even more amazing when I see how well you have made it.  I didn't even think for a moment that the poster hanging on the wall would have real words, let alone something that really would have been there!

You keep making me want to try harder myself  :)    Thank you!

Ty, ty, Popeye!

Rich, thank u. ^^

Daniel, that´s the feel I want when someone look inside ^^. I know it can be really better, though - but that makes me go further!! =**

Grácias, amigo Raymond! I´m giving my ship some hard times when it comes to put research into life. Have already changed that cabin a little bit, but I think it´s for the best. The bed got a lot more detailed, and desk have it´s own juice too. Now I´m struggling with my doors, so they can be functional. ^^

Sam, oil! Oil lamps were used in ships, mainly whale oil. ^^

Bindy, my many thanks. But your tenacity on redoing what was troubling you is my inspiration, too. Aside your jokes and good spirits, your work is serious and exciting - you make it be that way. ^^

Hi Vivian just catching up on your progress, very impressed with your detail work and the aging process....... the deck color is just great!!

what did you use to get that color? ( if you don't mind :P :P )

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank, thanks ^^ No problem in saying my technique. I used two coats of bitumen wax over sanded yelowish wood - The AL mukali wood seemed too clear to me, and something that needed some staining. Since I´m a wax fan, that´s what I used. Sanded, waxed, cleaned it with a rag, then waited for it to dry. Repeated the process to fill better gaps and holes. That´s it!

Sam,

post-8919-0-49743500-1395373112_thumb.png

Quinn, 1999 - Shipboarding Lighting: AD. 400 - 1900

:P

Since I depict a ship from early Ming Dinasty, on the 15th century (well, that´s what I´m trying, at least), no candles.

Edited by Vivian Galad

Some more updates. Finished the cabin and closed it. As I study the AL plans, I wish they could be more acurate on their model - There are some issues with bullwarks stanchions, for there are none and I have to ask what holds the bullwarks in place? There are 2 platforms and nothing to hold them from below - even when they seem part of the deck, my instincts and knowledge say to me there should be some beams.

Have found some problems with wood, too, since some of the them aren´t the same color they´r suposed to be - for that matter, I´m using my scrapbox.

post-8919-0-84840900-1395412954_thumb.jpg

Cabin closed and planked. Still don´t know if I´ll let the wood be or if I paint it in the process - All indicates I should paint the wood, but my heart loves the wood alone. I´ll frame the windows on the outside, yet.

post-8919-0-13457500-1395412931_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-76485600-1395412949_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-08964300-1395412926_thumb.jpg

Oh, yes, I remade the bed. It was a little rough.

post-8919-0-24552400-1395412940_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-55605100-1395412944_thumb.jpg

A night view from the deck. I´m still thinking if the rest of my lanterns should be functional. Maybe one or two.

Edited by Vivian Galad

Looks really nice Vivian, those lights really bring the ship to life..... thanks for the info on the deck, I'll have to ck that wax out.... Oh yeah!

nice job on remaking the bed, really close quarters in there!!  :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

looks really nice.........don't see any reason why you couldn't do bulwark stanchions {posts}.  is there to be a cap rail on the bulwarks?  you had to frame in the walls for the cabin.....and so you did beam for the upper deck.   is there to be a fore cabin or deck?  if so, then this will require posts,  framing,  and beams to support an upper deck (if there is to be one).  looking in has a very homy feel to it......nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: