Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

Vivian,

I love it! I know I have said it before, but I love the "worms eye" pictures, really brings the build to life.

Thanks for the info on the lanterns, I never doubted you you know. I was just thinking that even a lantern would have a degree of flicker to it. No matter, your build and at the risk of sounding condescending your doing a fine job of it!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Frank, u´r welcome. If not for the light, ppl would barely see something in there. After some thought I found myself lazy on letting my bed be the way it was. ^^

Popeye, I have already added the stanchions and cap rail. Kit´s instructions really passed over that and the ship as it´s shown, has this major failure to it. The beams are there, though - but I´ll have to modify them. No fore decks on plans and thanks for the tips. As I evolve in building these ships, more I come to the realization scratch is the way.

Sam, never thought u doubted ^^. Only brought the info for I had it on hand. The candle use on ships is more an economic problem than fear for fire. Before 1500s candles were too expensive - wax candles, which were 20% brighter and lasted 2 times more than animal fat candles (the more common type used) were 4 times more expensive. Oil was abundant and so, had it´s price better placed for using on ships. Starting at the 16th century, wax candle fabrication technology improved and then, became popular. Many thanks for the compliment. ^^

Very nice Vivian. I love the extra details and the "worm's eye" views. Great job! :)

Dios mio Mija,

That is outstanding what you've been able to accomplish. I mean the simple act of adding the lights gives it a lot of class. Out of curiosity, will this be a night light for someone? Please continue to work and inspire all of us to try a little bit harder on our builds.

Hey Viv.

Haven't visited your log for sometime and I am speechless about what you are accomplishing. Your interiors look fantastic. Well done, linda!

Keep on it,  and I promise to visit more often. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Raymond,

Ty ^^. Don´t know if my ocupant will have a face, yet. It´s being designed as a diplomatic ship, on official state business around China´s neighbor´s, lol. Everyday a new challenge!!

Ulises, u´r a sweetie. Come as u feel u should. My ship will be here. =**

Edited by Vivian Galad

Viv, you are really giving that little junk  lots of personality. How about a few figures aboard ?

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hi Vivian

As i am building the RED DRAGON along with you i must say how very impresed with level of detail you have incorparated into your model.At the rate you are proceding you will over

soon over- take me, my model does not incoperate any internal detail but i have modyfied the model structually because because i wanted practise differant methods of construction for

for later models.The rudder is made from four pieces of Walnut dowled together it reaches up into the hull just for one inch where  i have drilled a hole. the top of the rudder shaft comes

through and is connected by a piece of brass rod sure makes it easy to take it out since the tiller is fitted. The top front frame (the one that fits on the deck near the bow)once its glued on

can be used  as a guide as you  sand the edge the deck prior glueing on the bullwarks, any i hope have been of help, my model has a few mods so perhaps not exactly as it should be.

anyway kind regards: Janet B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sos, maybe in the future. For now just furnitures, after all, 3d printers are comming.

Janet, nice doping on rudder, since they were made to be lifted from the Walter. That's something I'l do too. Ty

Matti, i'm surely learning from the best, ty.

Rubens, many thanks.

Before this all happened, I worked a bit on my ship an she's quite different now. Thought I had some more pictures in here, but nope. Well, soon I'll bring more pics.

I don't know about "patiently".

:cheers:

But as Sam said, it IS real good to see you up and about and back to your modelling desk.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

it's good to see your back.....take care and don't over do ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Viv... So glad to see you back, linda. Please, some photos. What you are doing with your ship is fabulous!!!

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hi Vivian, happy  :)  to see you back, take it slow and easy the pictures can wait, the one thing I think all of  ship modelers have in common

is patience !!... but........ don't take too long!! :D :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

So, where are the pictures......... :P

Sam

... because we are all waiting soooo patiently to see them !!

:D  :D

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Well, as I promised, here are some pics. Hope to get to her as soon as possible - since this is what I did about a month ago.

post-8919-0-56336200-1398190092_thumb.jpg

Here I was on a start to make side rails and all.

post-8919-0-85704000-1398190100_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-86528100-1398190105_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-89434600-1398190110_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-99472800-1398190115_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-07515300-1398190121_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-16271300-1398190126_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-65336100-1398190269_thumb.jpg

On the original plans from AL, there is no planks on the inside, as no stanchions to hold everything up. As my feelings said it wasn´t possible, I searched some pictures to confirm and see that´s all necessary - AL has being putting some wrong in our world I would say.

That´s all, for now. My main occupation now will be the doors to the cabin, since I want them to be functional. Already lost some time in that, since scale won´t help. Any ideas are always welcome ^^

Wow Viv... It's looking really really nice. You are doing a spectacular job, linda.

Felicidades!!!

wonderful job Vivian........I see the red arrow pointing to a mark of sorts.......something you need to do there? I like the looks of the hull.....very nice use of woods

to show you how imaginative I yam........I saw the pictures with the paint brushes in the background.....and thought she would make a very nice trawler :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Brigada, Ulises!! (meaning thanks ^^)

Sam, she needs some new photos, though, cause I already got to her and made some progress. Ty!

Popeye, thank u. That arrow is to show the plank covered inside. Kit plans forgot about that and presents a very unreal view. I could not let that pass. That mark, though, is a problem I found when treating the wood later on, when it should be treated earlier. That will need some sanding, a carefull one.

if that mark won't sand out.....make a small crate or a couple of barrels usually cover up nicely. just use a prop ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Mij, Thank u. I still don´t know if I´ll let it that way, but wood speaks for itself. The truth is it should be painted, red and black, to follow resources I´ve found till now. Time will tell, though.

Popeye, It´s a superficial spot, easily sanded away, already. ^^

Bindy, happy to be back and for your nice words. =**