Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

Some small advance:

As I can get back to my desk and work on the ship, some little things just annoyed me a bit. The doors framing were different one from another and I had to sand some more stains that shouldn´t be there all over the ship.

That gave me some extra work, since I had already made the doors to fit the frame. Well, took out the frames and now have to do new doors. Made one already, but don´t know if I´ll keep it. Thinking in doors with some work, some finery.

For sanding, that´s some real deal. Do I sand it now and then make some fixing to waxing/varnishing the dark wood or sand it later on, when all dark wood is properly stained/colored? Both ways seems to me to leave open field for errors.

post-8919-0-83581700-1398894622_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, finished my first outern rails. AL gave me too few wood for that and I´m using some from my scrapbox for the second. I´ll modify the ship here, too, as the plans bring some small wooden balls to top the rails and I simply don´t find out why they should be put in there (have seen none on other junks).

post-8919-0-85877800-1398894629_thumb.jpg

I made and remade the rails, for they seemed all the times to be untidy.

post-8919-0-19680000-1398894637_thumb.jpg

Doors work - As u can see, the door on the frame don´t fit.

post-8919-0-82933100-1398894642_thumb.jpg

Those doors will give me some trouble, I think. Don´t know if I´ll be able to make them functional.

Edited by Vivian Galad

I would sand it now. I think it's not something bad that different areas have different nuances. I try to do it the other way around, to make everything slightly different in color. That makes the look more vibrant and alive imo. It boils down to a matter of aesthetic choice and what look you want. If you want it clean and perfect then wait.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

your first attempt isn't bad at all......don't feel like that. if you do replace them though....the top of the door frame should overlap the sides. simply all you'd really need to do is put molding around the frame and leave the door the way it is. not too much to do...to make it look nicer.....I love that door...it looks rustic. I agree with Matti as well.....darker wood with the light wood really set it up nicely. try diagonal cuts when doing the door molding.....like a picture frame ;)

while it would be nice to have the doors functional, just doing them the way you have done is pleasing enough. keep that idea in mind for the next one......Ideas never die.....unless you want them to ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Happy that you are back and relieved that we did not have to launch the great armada rescue.

Your project looks great. As others have mentioned the contrasting wood colors are really nice. I usually sand early just to get it out of the way and get an idea of the final look. Popeye's suggestion of molding around the doors is brilliant.

Feel better.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Matti, think u´r right. I´ll sand it now, well, soon after I finish the outer frames for windows and doors. ^^

Popeye, yep. I´ll do the molding around. As for the functionality of the doors, thinking in letting them 2 open, in different angles. That should give the space to peer inside, while the doors seems to be functional.

Jack, hold the armada! There must be someone needier, now. I´ll follow Popeye´s idea on the molding and will sand it earlier, too.

Thank u guys! Ty for the tips! ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Vivian, Glad to see you back aboard.  Hope you are feeling much better.  Walt Biles

Wolf, glad to see my work reach u ^^! AL kits ask to be bashed. Just followed the line.

Walter, many thanks and after 1 month and a half from my last surgery, I´m much better, indeed.

I know I have been a little absent, but will return with pics soon enough. :D

Bienvenidos Mija,

It has been a while since last you visited us. The important thing is to feel 100% better and enjoy your build rather than be less than 100% and not enjoy what you are doing. Just take your time and remember that we will all wait patiently for your return.

Tu amigo,

Raymond

Sam, I´m healing, but the full amount of time I´ll need to heal - at least, doctor´s words - it´s about 6 months after last surgery. Can´t lift weight or work hard on anything - stairs give me the feeling of climbing a mountain. Can work on small things, though. :D :D :D

Raymond, estoy bien, amigo. 100% will take some time, as I just said above - but I begin to enjoy modeling again. Won´t let u down on my promises of new pics. ^^

As promised, new photos from my ship - once it was the Red Dragon, don´t know if I can still call it that.

First of all, some explanation on what I did. I made the cabin so it would look plausible enough; windows should be part of it. Inside the cabin I made a molding for it and outside it was rough. Using some wood from my scrapbox I did the same windows molding  on the outside.

post-8919-0-26399000-1400901750_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-32046700-1400901761_thumb.jpg

Gave some curves to them so it could look a bit original - and the most different from kit´s windows.

Last time I had put the first side rail. Now I´ve finished the second and on overall, ship looks like this:

post-8919-0-81568300-1400901766_thumb.jpg

Following my fellow modelists opinions, molded the door frames. Also fixed doors to their proper places - they won´t be functional as I wanted at the beginning of her making.

post-8919-0-41142200-1400901772_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-25987900-1400901778_thumb.jpg

Had to sand some more after I tainted some deck details. As she´s coming up some thoughts come to mind - little lessons I hope to have learned. 1. Never ever do things hastily. The time u lose after making things that way will not compensate why u did it in first place. 2. Take some time to think on what u´r going to do. If I had tainted all dark wood before fixing it, lots of work on sanding would not be necessary. 3. If u´r going to modify a kit, make a list of all modifications u want to do and try to figure it out before reaching the point of bringing them to life - try not to get too many creative while building, too. 4. Everything u learn from MSW has to be put to though - it means nothing when u learn something and just let it linger on your mind - make it worth.

That´s all for now. Many thanks for the tips, following, liking and everything.

Here goes some extra pics:

post-8919-0-17639400-1400901783_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-88419700-1400901788_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vivian Galad

Bravo Mija,

Your dragon looks great. It is a shame that your doors weren't functional the way you wanted but I must confess that the finished result is outstanding. I truly look forward to seeing more updates,

Tu Amigo,

Raymond

the doors came out great Vivian!  I'm glad your felling well enough to do a little modeling.   don't overdo........you have a fine looking build there  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Vivian, it is god to see you working a little.

The windows and doors look great.  I also really like the weathered look of the deck.  I have that decision ahead of me on the Oseberg soon.  Your ship looks wonderful and I am happy to see you feel well enough to work on it.

Jack

Gracias, Raymond! Well, as for the door, I should´ve designed it before installing. Truth is I thought it easier than it actually was. Updates coming soon. ^^

Thanks, Matti!

Popeye, even if I wanted to, I couldn´t overdo (even when I´m having lots of fun) - What the heart and mind wishes, the body controls. When I´m feeling tired, it´s difficult to go on and I drop it rightaway - My ship isn´t going anywhere. Ty!

Sam, many thanks. Things have to go that way for now, but in no hurry I´ll be back in full speed. :cheers:

Jack, my many thanks. That´s a kit I wish to buy, when I can find it cheaper on e-bay, lol. If u ask me, I say a weathered look is always a way to give your ship a life of its own - but that´s my view on how ship models should look like - I´m following Von_Kossa´s building and finding his clear work formidable, too. Personal matter, always. :P

that's the ticket!   do what you can.........;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hola linda!

Wow you are doing a magnificent job. I confess I haven't visited for some time and what I see now is great progress and very well done.

Felicidades chica!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Your boat is looking good Vivian, glad you feeing better. I was out almost all of March this year because of an illness.

I'm interested to see how those sails are made on your ship

Tchau!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Ulises, obrigada pelo carinho até aqui. ^^ (thanks for the care till now) And don´t worry, I´ll be here for some time, yet.

Schnu, I´m glad to read it. Cabin is the most important mod I did. Still others to come, though.

Hey, Casey, some time since I last saw u ^^. Hope u´re better from your illness - I´m doing fine in my recovering, I think :P . Just some more steps before the rigging and I´m interested in that too. tyty

Some more pics ^_^

Last week I´ve got myself entangled with my ship´s windlasses. On AL instructions there are 6 of them and so, I began to cut, sand and drill the small pieces of wood.

post-8919-0-28565500-1402193814_thumb.jpg

After lots of it, I realised AL didn´t send all the wood I needed - frustration! Got some time sorting it out till finally decided to use another type of wood from my scrapbox (this one, some brazilian wood - still have to know what type it is):

post-8919-0-65265600-1402193819_thumb.jpg

As the first attempt was a fumble, thought some testing would be great and read carefully about what the windlass should look. AL gave me some metal for bars, first I painted them black, to a poor result - after scanning lots of immages I found that metal wasn´t common for that purpose and so, made some bars from toothpicks:

post-8919-0-32739800-1402193798_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-59099900-1402193803_thumb.jpg

Following, the barless windlass, and then, the ready one - already varnished (still shining):

post-8919-0-12570800-1402193793_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-86097800-1402193808_thumb.jpg

Next entry I´ll bring the boxes and containers I´ll keep on junk´s compartment. ^_^

(After reading my own post and seeing my pictures, a thought comes to mind - I really do need more light for my workbench)

Edited by Vivian Galad

Sweet work, Vivian.  The looks like it might be Brazilian rosewood from the coloring.  If it is, it's really nice wood to work with.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work as usual.  I like the junk wood.  The toothpicks are much better than the painted brass.  Looks Great.

Jack

I use what I guess you could call crane lights........you can move them wherever you need the lighting the most,  and they fasten to the edge of my table.   I just got my other one working again,  although I need to buy the outlets with the built-in switches.   I hope you doing all of the windlasses and winches in that wood........I like the wood..........if you were to have one in another wood,  it may not take the stain as well.   they do sell dowel that small..........but if toothpicks and bamboo skewers are all you have.......they make wonderful substitutes!

very nice work!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: