Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Hi again and well, I coundn´t hold myself that much. 3 days after finishing my caravel I´m beginning a new project and hope you all enjoy it. Took me 3 months and some days to my last ship to be finally complete, and, today I started a new counter ^^ (not that I want to beat it).

So, first thing first, I´ll say my impressions on the kit. I bought it from an e-bay auction. The box is a little bit worn, with some small scratches on the fringes. Since the kit is from the 80´s, there´s that look in it:

SAM_1809.JPG

Opening we can see a good care with pieces and wood, all arranged in a practical manner. My last experience was a bit disappointing regarding opening the box, cause the fittings and everything else were almost thrown in the box, with no preoccupation about the pieces´ overall look. AL, in other hand, do know how to sell it´s fish.

SAM_1812.JPG

Unboxing the fittings box I found a beaultifull set of small wooden and metal parts. Loved the distribution and care. Didn´t like the brass fittings for doors and windows, or even the lanterns - decided those will be made by me.

SAM_1813.JPG

The wood planks with pre-cut parts are easy to cut. It´s not laser cut, since in 1989 it wasn´t that common, lol. There´s a fine selection for woods, all woods. I detached the first parts to take the false keel and mount the structure.

SAM_1814.JPG

For this build I just designed a holder - Big change for better, for my last ship was builded almost in my lap, or on the kit´s base, which devastated my hull, as I saw sometime after the mistake. So, false keel on holder ready to receive framing.

SAM_1817.JPG

After cutting and sanding the frames, got numbers to them so I could follow the instructions - and make no mistakes.

SAM_1819.JPG

So, I took care to align all frames with the false keel, since some of them needed some fixing to go smooth with the keel. After that I glued them and the girders, as follows

SAM_1820.JPG

SAM_1821.JPG

SAM_1822.JPG

SAM_1825.JPG

I got the impression that it was a little bit crooked and drawn a line to compare, but was just an impression. Began first planking but need to buy a small hammer, so, all paused till I buy one.

Other consideration - after studying the plans I found it easy to give the ship some cabins. With a little modification on the castle I can put some nice furniture inside the ship and, following Doris inspiration, will let the windows and doors show the inside (after scratching my own windows and doors, of course).

Well, that´s it!

• SkerryAmp, mtaylor, aliluke and 12 others like this

olliechristo

olliechristo
  • Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCairns QLD Australia

I look forward to following you on this journey. What a lovely ship to build. I would like to build a Chinese ship, if i could find a sampan I would like to do that or scratch one...  Your off to a flying start.. Yee Ha :D  Regards Ollie

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Hey Ollie, take a seat!!! She is a view, really. I have to confess I know little about chinese ships in general and, since I´m focused on medieval ships, my red dragon have to show that. Lots of study on my horizon. I´ll give a look on the sampan ^^

Jerome, let me see... got some port wine and sake, or some coignac, maybe? Beer, there´s always beer on my fridge. :cheers:

• mtaylor, src, avsjerome2003 and 2 others like this

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Hey, Jerome, come direct to São Paulo! Rio is some 400km from here, lol. Would make some snacks too. Spread the word!!

• avsjerome2003 likes this

cdogg

cdogg
  • Members
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSavage, Minnesota, USA
Looking forward to this build! How are you liking the AL kit so far? I have not worked on one yet.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Casey, it seems good, but for the shortage of parts. I counted it and there´s almost no spare so I´ll have to be careful. Already talked about the brass fittings that I´ll substitute by mine own. On overall, it´s a good kit and instructions seem to be easy, at least in spanish, but already noticed some strange translations to english, a little childish I would say. Wood is good, better than I got with the Caravel kit.

Bindy

Bindy
  • Members
  • 710 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Hi Vivian!

I think I am almost as excited as you are to see you start this new model haha. 

I really do look forward to watching (and learning from) you every step of the way, but I have to say it is even more interesting watching you building different types of ships that are not so common.  Although I love all the favourites too of course!

• tuciship likes this

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

Hey Viv.

Nice kit!!! I will follow it closely.

My favorite part of building a ship, is the very beginning...  :D  :D

Edited by Ulises Victoria, 09 February 2014 - 01:59 AM.

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

ziled68

ziled68
  • Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSierra Vista, Arizona

Hola Mija,

I just finished seeing your Caravel and I must say, "Bravo". I see that you are starting with the Red Dragon. She will make for a beautiful model. I finished my Vietnamese Junk and I found an external link that explained the sails and rigging for Chinese Junks. Here is the site if you choose to have extra information at your disposal, http://www.thecheapp...inese_sail.html

I will look in on your build with interest.

• sawdust, Vivian Galad and Bindy like this

maggsl_01

maggsl_01
  • Members
  • 517 posts
  • LocationHof - Franconia - Germany

Hi Vivian

*haha* could not wait .... I know very well what you mean... my Half Moon has not yet got the second mast, but I am thinking always about the next model to build... crazy world, isn't it? If I would be interested in Soccer probably I would come to Brasil to the Championship... but I am not.... So I will watch your build from good old Germany on my computer

wish you a lot of fun with your Dragon and I am looking Forward to see the next pics

cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Fregatte Berlin, Corel; 1:40 

In the stash: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54

Wishlist: Wappen von Hamburg; Derfflinger; Sovereign of the Seas (Segal), San Felipe (Panart) Amphion; Goldene Yacht; Gulnara 

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live? :piratebo5:

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Bindy, :wub: ! I´ll share all my steps as she becomes my second baby ;) . Yesterday I almost got myself in this excitement and planked the first row, but could stop and see that I needed a small hammer first. Now she´s await for the "hammer time" lol. As for the unusual builds, the main interest is for medieval ships, from 12th to beginning of the 16th century, all around the globe. As kits go, there are few on my field of research (AKA hobby), and it´ll look all my ships are unusual :P . Ty =*

• avsjerome2003 and Bindy like this

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Ulises, the beginning goes with the wind. The fastest step on the building, at least for POB kits. And when it takes form we enter on a dreamworld - thinking about all things we´ll do next. ^^

So many things to do, it´s a bright horizon.

• CaptainSteve likes this

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Hola, Raymond!! I saw your vietnamese junk, nice work in her. Took my time to read some of your link and compare with your build - nicely rigged! And it is a valuable source, many thanks. ^^

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Well, Max, it´ll be a messed championship - too much heated feelings about it. Think u won´t miss anything from staying at home with your ships. Danke!! It´s been fun already! =*

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Well, was just experimenting and did this:

SAM_1851.JPG

That´s the first modification on the kit, since this brass windows won´t be glued to my ship. Also, as I wish to have cabins or something of the sort, windows need holes, so ppl can peer inside. Thinking about some led to throw light in there too.

It seems a good window frame or should I work a little harder on them?

• mtaylor, Timmo, src and 6 others like this

DSiemens

DSiemens
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationDenver Co

The frame looks good to me and I agree it will look nicer then the metal.  I wonder though are you planning on making them bigger than the metal fittings?

• olliechristo likes this

maggsl_01

maggsl_01
  • Members
  • 517 posts
  • LocationHof - Franconia - Germany

Hi Vivian,

I like the idea to bring light into the dark of the model ship world... :D  Sounds very cute and interesting... Go ahead :10_1_10:

Cheerio

Max

Next: Fregatte Berlin, Corel; 1:40 

In the stash: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54

Wishlist: Wappen von Hamburg; Derfflinger; Sovereign of the Seas (Segal), San Felipe (Panart) Amphion; Goldene Yacht; Gulnara 

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live? :piratebo5:

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Daniel, in truth, yes. I thought the metal fittings too small to be a good peering hole to my cabins (if I opened holes on them, for example), so it would be if I made the new window frame in the same scale. As the size I choose is still small, on a scale for 1:60, I have a window of about 1,2m x 0,8m. Not so bad. ^^

Max, still thinking what I´ll need to do for that, but I will! =D

src

src

Captain Chaos

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Vivian,

I enjoyed following you last build, looking forward to another fun trip.  The wood window looks much better than the metal one, just curious, how did you do your joinery? Butt joint, lapped joint? Enquiring minds want to know.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Ship Modeling

Noun

a long-term mental disorder involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings and a masochistic need to obsessively rebuild items regardless of the naked eyes ability to see the difference.

Vivian Galad

Vivian Galad
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Sam, thanks for sharing all the fun and be always welcome. I made a butt joint for the external framing and lapped for the internal; thinking on buying some magnifiers to see if I can do them cuts even smaller, lol.

• src likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.