Santa Maria by SkerryAmp - Artesania Latina - 1:65 - PoF

Well,  my idea was to bleach the decks and then golden oak them back to a reasonable color, however - chalk one up to Miniwax stain,  bleach didn't touch it!!

So,  then thought about sanding it away - but really wasn't sure how I would go about that with them installed without damaging the inner bulwarks.

So, final decision!   Replank them.  The planks are are 1/64 thick so it really doesn't jump the deck height up noticeably and was easy enough to do.

However... PROBLEM!  (as always right).   I was hoping there was enough plank to do the deck and the final decking (fore and poop decks).  I was sadly mistaken.  I used up what I had and am now out of decking material.   Guess what, finding that size is NOT easy.  So,  what I will be doing is seeing what the Nina can do for me.  I am thinking about decking up the parts necessary with the Nina and then using the excess wood to finish up the Santa maria.

Until I decide that,  here is where the Santa Maria sits currently.

I started to plank the hull according to the instructions.  I am still not happy at all with my planking abilities,  my 10 year wedding anniversery is coming up so the wife and I are exchanging gifts and from what I understand she is doing I had better figure this planking thing out - and fast!!  (Ugh).

So, plank plank plank....

post-61-0-89286400-1410818703_thumb.png

post-61-0-11201800-1410818705_thumb.png

post-61-0-13200900-1410818706_thumb.png

Really kind of embarassing - that hull is going to need a LOT of work regarding sanding and shaping!

I did however (as I said up above) get sidetracked with the planking and that is when I applied my magnificantly short sighted idea for decking up the Santa Maria.   Here is where that sits at the moment....

post-61-0-03311100-1410818860_thumb.png

I did decide to vary the lengths and do simulated treenails with a mechanical pencil this time.  The solid planks and dark wood just were not doing it for me.  Once I fill in the rest of the space I will give it a VERY light stain of natural and Golden Oak (probobly like a 10:1 ratio) just to give it a little color and blend it all together, darken the nails and caulk etc.   The idea is to keep it very light.

So - enjoying this one,  but the deck debacle and really painful planking job so far is a slight spirit killer.. but I will get it all cleaned up and happy - I am pretty good at filler and shaping hulls (you should see what is under the mayflower second planking and filler :o hehe.

However, with all that said. my parts have come for the mayflower, so tonight will be finishing up all those fiddly bits, sealing it and getting ready to move forward with that one....

Until later - ENJOY!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 1 year later...

Wow a little deja vu!   The mayflower is drying, football on the T.V  - so,  let's finish off the re-planking on the Santa Maria.  

Finished off laying the new deck planks, marking the lines, dotting the nails and then after some trials went with a 4:1 Natural / Golden Oak Deck Staining.  Much lighter, and I think much much better!!!!

(That other one was VERY dark!!)

post-61-0-75220000-1443412216_thumb.png

I need to make the plank lines and nails a bit better/cleaned up and darker on the stern but will get to that once the stain dries a bit more!

Well, games are over for the night so off I go

Tomorrow is another day!

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Adam,

Just catching up on some builds after a long hiatus. Looking forward to see your progress on the SM when it rolls through your rotation.

- Bug 

Hey Adam,

Just catching up on some builds after a long hiatus. Looking forward to see your progress on the SM when it rolls through your rotation.

- Bug 

As it so happens, I recently returned to the work bench after a rather long hiatus (went back to finish my degree).   Working on wrapping up the Mayflower at the moment, then the Santa Maria will be back on deck as a primary focus!

Thanks for checking in!

Great Job Adam !    Look forward to following along !

Thans Gerty, appreciate that!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 1 year later...

(Returning Preamble)

Whew.  Hey all.

I am not sure what protocol or etiquette is for continuing a build log after a very long hiatus.  I feel the need to explain my absence though, so whether necessary or not here goes.

It has been one heck of a year.  Shortly before my last updates here I was beginning to venture into a new career as well as getting involved in Muay Thai Kickboxing.  The first, for security the second for health reasons.   That, very quickly, became my life for the last year.   If the admiral and I were not going to the gym or sparring I was dug deep into code projects and work related things.  It pretty much consumed my world and thus my time.  Combine that with a bit of frustration and a disheartening event with the mayflower and well - a building hiatus ensued.

My career seems to be going well at the moment (hopefully I did not just jinx myself) and I have evened out on the learning curve. The Kickboxing has hit a nice groove with a nice schedule that we have fallen into.  This has, luckily for me, freed up some time and let me return to my other loves - writing, playing guitar and building these wonderful wooden vessels.

I popped back on shortly before Christmas to get caught up.  Am amazed, as always, at the progress of several projects and all the new ventures I saw.  As I searched for updates on some of you guys I sadly came across the news of Augie.  That took me back a bit - so sorry to hear that (even though I am late to the news).

Well, after re-evaluating my process and goals with building ships I am getting back to it.  I sort of have a very high bar set for myself which did lend itself to frustrations with my various builds.  I have decided to put that to the side.  After all, I am far from an expert - heck barely out of novice really - so my ships will be as good as I can do them with the skills i have.  Each ship will get better and my skills will grow - and that will do just fine =)

So - if there my seat at the table is still around here some place - I think I will get back to building =)

Good to see you all again!

(Since I have many build logs going, this will be CnP'd to the my first post across all of them - sorry for the repetition).

Onward and upward!!

Part of the reassessment process was looking over the builds I have going.   The mayflower is the closest to finished but sort of contributing to taking the wind out of my sails a little bit, okay - quite a bit.  While starting the rigging I damaged some of the deadeyes.  Struggled for a bit trying to figure out how to repair them and how much work that would take and really did not have a solid plan.  Still don't. So, that one is sitting aside and I will give attention to the ones I can continue on with some level of confidence =)

When we last left the Santa Maria - we had replaced the decking.   So I picked it up and dusted it off - cleaned it up and went to putting together the second planking layer.   My planking skills proved to still be mediocre at best so I did my best to learn what lessons i could as I moved forward.

Here we have the initial second planking on the port side

post-61-0-61432500-1483327201.jpg

Really needed some clean up, errant glue and some ragged edges.  In going over it I also found a couple planks that had splintered.  So, I bit the bullet and with much trepidation attempted a repair...

post-61-0-04013200-1483327202.jpg

It went well - thankfully!

Moved over and did up the starboard side

post-61-0-37319200-1483327202.jpg

Cleaned it up as best I could and added a few coats of poly on it.  Each layer of poly helped expose areas that needed addressing, I think it turned out relatively okay.

post-61-0-66122200-1483327202.jpg

Moved to the transom and luckily that went quite well.  Was able to plank it and clean it up much easier than the sides.  Applied the same amount of poly to blend it all together.

post-61-0-99783400-1483327202.jpg

Then, once again, came the scary part.  Needed to cut the rudder linkage hole in the transom, so - outlined the shape with a sharpie and carefully rough cut it with the exacto and file/sanded it to final shape.   MAN is that stressful!

post-61-0-32515500-1483327203.jpg

So there is where we stand with the Santa Maria.  I have started on the next bit which is the trip pieces, so that will be the next update once that is in a good spot.

Again, glad to see you all again - missed ya'll quite a bit and am glad to be able to return and look forward to a nice solid year of modeling!

Enjoy!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Good to see you back at it. The planking looks good.

Russ

Thanks Russ!

Es bueno poder seguirte de nuevo. El revestimiento del barco se ve muy bien.

It's nice to be able to follow you again. The boat liner looks very nice.

Thank you sir!  Welcome and hopefully I don't make TOO many mistakes.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Alrighty then, let's see what we have going on now - whew.

When last we left the Santa Maria I had just finished up the second layer of planking.  I then moved onto some trim, the waterways, timber heads,  and started the hull details. So onward we go.

The first thing I want to say is that the next bit of work was made a thousand times easier with the help of a few things.

I pulled out my NorthWest Short Line Chopper - boy do I love this little gadget, made cutting some of the thicker walnut pieces a breeze.  If you don't have one and/or something similar I cannot recommend this enough - it is fantastic!

post-61-0-95510400-1484107264.png

Being my first time working with walnut I was surprised at how fragile it is.  Splinters VERY easy, cracks etc.  So, aside from the normal clean up of gaps and spaces I found this product to be very helpful.  Walnut colored Plastic Wood.  It dries much lighter than the walnut wood, however a quick wipe of a diluted walnut stain (very diluted 10:1 natural:walnut) it actually blended quite nicely.

post-61-0-47477100-1484107467.png

Finally - a LIFE saver.  I have never had a good knack for bending wood.  There were a couple of waterways as well as the outside hull parts that, being thicker wood, did not want to bend nicely.  Doing some digging I found some articles as well as a supporting comments from a couple of MSW member posts regarding a curling iron.  So - gave it a try... and WOWIE,  I was able to bend so much easier than I ever did in the past, including an edge bend on the walnut waterways.   SO HAPPY! ;)

post-61-0-36556200-1484107674.png

So - with that little intro out of the way, here is where we have come....

First thing I tackled was trimming out the poop deck and the rear stair entry way.  This was pretty straightforward, made easy with the chopper. Cut to length, angle where necessary and glue into place.  My joints still need a LOT of work - as you can see. SO there will be some cleanup/sanding required on the poop deck.

post-61-0-20698100-1484108304.png

Next was to lay in the waterways.  As I mentioned above they did NOT want to bend into place.  So, this is where i gave the curling iron a shot and again - wow.  A little patience and gentle nudging (after learning how to use the little clamp thingy as leverage) and it bent just fine - quickly even.

post-61-0-10944600-1484108916.png

Next up was popping in the timberheads. Again, used the chopper to get some nice clean cuts and once installed sanded/trimmed the top flush with the hull.  Once the upper rail is on I think that will look quite good! At this point I also installed the mast hole base and marked off where I am going to have to drill later (that still makes me nervous).

post-61-0-32515300-1484109249.png

Lastly I started working the outer hull details.  Again, the curling iron came in VERY handy to help bend these guys both at the bow and along the edge to help seat them nicely.

As you can see I only got so far as installing them, I still need to clean them up - sand them out, fill and finish.  That will be the next step!

post-61-0-23322600-1484109434.png

Well, that is it for this update!  As always - comments, suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

I have a long way to go with growing my skills but at least I am seeing improvements in some areas as I move along - which is encouraging!

Until later -  Enjoy and Happy Modeling!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

The deck and timberheads look good. The outboard trim seems like it has a nice even curvature. That looks good as well. Nice work.

Russ

Coming together nicely Adam!

Edited by Moonbug

• 3 weeks later...

The deck and timberheads look good. The outboard trim seems like it has a nice even curvature. That looks good as well. Nice work.

Russ

Thanks Russ.   Tis tedious work, but I am liking how it is going so far.

Coming together nicely Adam!

Thanks Moonbug!

It's looking really good. She'll look nice with the Mayflower. I will have to get a curling iron now. Lol

Steve

Thanks Steve,  it is funny - my dad and comment often over the years how every so often you get a tool and it is just perfect, awesome even.  Sometimes it is the strangest or surprise tool.    In my case, my most recent is that curling iron.

PLUS being able to tell my wife hands off my curling iron is kind of fun.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

So, we continue trudging along.   Working solely on the outboard trim at the moment and have one side all done and in place

These took a bit longer than the horizontal boards.   The verticals required a bit of cutting and aligning.  To do it I went down one board at a time.

post-61-0-27664900-1485580494_thumb.png

This way I was able to control the alignment going down along the hull.   Worked out pretty well, just had to trim out enough to fit it in the slot, slide it down to meet the board below and repeat.

After much toiling and fixing a few booboos along the way we have one side completed.

post-61-0-99617600-1485580495.png

Once I finish the other side and the transom I will go over it with a couple of sanding sticks to clean up the roughness, a quick wipe with poly and she should be good to go!

Thanks all for stopping in, have a great day and happy modeling!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Nice work on those vertical battens. That can be tricky work cutting and fitting, but they came out nicely.

Russ

• 3 months later...

hey there Adam!   how did this one miss my radar?    glad to see your making it back to the table {when you can}......you've had a few bumps with her,  but she's look'in great through it all ;)   hope to see more of this fine project.....and maybe your others too :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 years later...

Walking through the doors brought a familiar, comforting feeling.  Some of the decor had changed but the overall atmosphere remained.   The smell of sawdust and glue, paints and lacquers drifted softly in the air as the murmur conversation filled his ears.  It had been a long time since had taken a seat at the table or pulled up a chair to a viewing.  Three years, in fact, but never a day had passed that he didn't think about the camaraderie, the talent, the build, and being a part of it all.  Chaos and neglect had left the work shop in shambles, the husks of neglected projects gathering dust and cobwebs taunted him daily.  Three years before today, the day he said enough - it was time.

He took the Santa Maria down from it's shelf where it sat.   Out of sight enough to not be a daily reminder, but not so much that when passing by it didn't glare at him, judging his dereliction.   Looking it over he carefully dusted off what he could, removed the cobwebs and evicted the house spiders so as to see what he had to work with.

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't pristine.   Mistakes made now obvious with time, wear from being moved from shelf to shelf, minor damage and some wood swelling at first made it feel lost.    But not today, today was the day - it was time.

Here is where he was starting from.....

1453729818_SantaMaria75-FreshStartStarboard.png.15a92f0121977bd9edb7e1c35f46f02e.png

523879609_SantaMaria76-FreshStartPort.png.5337b498d6f70da11eeb565202861b36.png

1890078418_SantaMaria77-FreshStartStern.png.418409725e19d2dea9229b0f6a24e15a.png

694740976_SantaMaria78-FreshStartBow.png.6d30fb87b987de328414c17c23179ff5.png

1434767981_SantaMaria79-FreshStartTop.png.ddca3ab4c62d5caf531fd6e16b2b7b16.png

He spent days and nights working cleaning the rooms which had been so badly forgotten.  In a matter of time the work room took shape.  It was a new room, a different room than before, but that made it fresh.   Fresh paint on the pegboard, tools large and small neatly organized on peg, on shelf and in drawer.  New lighting put in and new benches lined the walls.   The floor swept, the room was ready - ready to rekindle that joy and excitement of creation, of learning and of improving.

1239678410_SantaMaria71-NewWorkspaceRightWall.png.303ec61b137b23e6dfe14e0b711759d1.png 

738389259_SantaMaria72-NewWorkspaceMainArea.png.356a6249a951ae45ca093cc8fc983723.png

954256046_SantaMaria73-NewWorkspaceLeftWall.png.0e69ef7dfe47ba6784634ef3a58c593e.png

1083651297_SantaMaria74-WoodBench.png.73ebfac67094cc8dfa0731d968351957.png

So - away we go!    Again.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Welcome home stranger!

It’s nice to see you back.

Anja was telling me that she see your name and say Hi to you!

Let us see what you are doing with this nice build!

Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Well hello Sjors, nice to see you as well and good to be remembered!  Please tell Anja I said Hi right back!

I have been spending the last week or so going over where I am at.  Sadly 2 of my builds have not survived time - they are in such bad shape and the materials themselves have been ruined =(.  I am just not talented enough to recover from that.   However, the Santa Maria is still going.  In fact, going to post about that right now!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Okay, so we are back at the bench.

I am going to restart this log with one giant secret - I struggled with it.   The Santa Maria was perhaps in the best stage to return to work, however it turns out it was in pretty rough shape as well.  Some had to do with time but some had to do with me.   

Ever go back to something and spend time saying to yourself - what the heck was I thinking?   Well - that was me.

I even spent time deliberating over whether to even do it or to buy another kit and start all over.

After some deep soul searching I decided I would pay my penance so-to-speak and do the best I can with it.   There are SO MANY mistakes, errors and face palms - but I will just move on through and do what I can to fix what I can and live and learn from the rest.

I will say one thing - DON'T USE HOT GLUE TO BUILD A WOODEN SHIP MODEL - IT JUST ISN'T WORTH IT - trust me, learn from me - let me be an example for others 😃

Basically a lot of pieces popped off as I was handling it.

It was the result of pressure.   I was working a lot and felt I had to do as much as possible in what little time I had and well, rushing NEVER works out in the long run.

Anyway, enough lamenting, enough belly aching - on with the show.

The first thing I decided I had to do was to "catch up" to the directions.  I had begun to put the side battens on the ships hull and left kind of in the middle.   Some had popped off and some were loose so I pulled off the bad ones,  left the good ones and started to go at it.

1425169685_SantaMaria84-Catchingupthesideboards.jpg.6091f80d27eb665bd677c53b3df9187a.jpg

I made several changes in my approach to this task, as well as to modelling over all - go back to my plastic modeling days.
1- Patience:  It is okay to put a stick or two on at a time and wait!
2- The little things:  BENDING!!   These battens went on SO MUCH EASIER when I bent the wood - not a lot mind you, in most cases I was able to wet it and affix it to the hull to dry and it was bent just fine.
3- Wood glue - put the glue guns out of sight, shelved the CA and went with good ole fashioned Titebond.

Ahh, things are getting enjoyable again!

1864776138_SantaMaria85-Catchingupthesideboards.jpg.e292c6f30e679e02abafcd48e4caa5f4.jpg

1416342742_SantaMaria83-Catchingupthesideboards.jpg.b77d863db88aa4500b3c1ceef13c3bc2.jpg

Once I was happy with the battens - or as happy as I felt I could be I decided to end the session by soaking and prebending the forward framing so I would not have to fight with that next time I am at it.

765010477_SantaMaria86-Prebendingtheforwardentryframe.jpg.06112ea0b20c401d69c69a886bcc8ec3.jpg

Oh look - the inside stanchions decided to pop off - 

191-1912023_facepalm-emoticon-smiley-emoji-facebook-emoticon-palm-face.png.8caf2c295625749408cc35799f8f2878.png

Until next time - Happy Modeling!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

5 hours ago, SkerryAmp said:

I will just move on through and do what I can to fix what I can and live and learn from the rest.

Good plan. There's enough good about this model to make it worth retrieving. And what you're doing so far is very good - you'll end up with a far better model than you would have, had you completed it way back then.

5 hours ago, SkerryAmp said:

Ahh, things are getting enjoyable again!

Which, after all, is what it's all about.:dancetl6:

Thanks Louie - appreciate the kind words.  That is my ultimate goal, make this better than I would have back then and then continue that momentum forward!  So far so good - I think ;)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

So next up we have the forward arch.   Of course the plywood is not pre formed so it is very stiff and while it could be muscled into place I no longer apply brute force - so soaking, bending and strapping it is!

1880195513_SantaMaria87-ForwardArch1.jpg.c281f33a24abd1d6160a9401e5659d4b.jpg

That part went surprisingly well, so once dried and formed I slapped on the veneer (I think in the future I am going to stay away from veneer - something about it is odd)

841650882_SantaMaria88-ForwardArch2.jpg.3cdf22a28ab6e64d7ffcf66da8b3ce5f.jpg

And then - after carefully trimming - we attach it to the forecastle and things are starting to move forward!

586737447_SantaMaria89-ForwardArch3.thumb.jpg.9fde68523aea1d1a1c0dee839355cfcc.jpg

Next up!   The forecastle deck!

Enjoy!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Hey brother, not a big fan of veneers here either, always seemed to me like twice the work.... 

Good work, looking good... will pull up a chair if you don't mind....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"